S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Mixing regular and race gas...

Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing im curious about is how will you maintain an accurate mix of gas in your tank? I mean unless you COMPLETELY burn off EVERY drop of gas in your tank at each fill up, you can't maintain an accurate octane level that you want.

Think about it... lets say you take the harder approach to get a good and accurate mixture the first time you fill up by mixing the fuel in a container and THEN putting it in your car. Now you go and drive, burn off the fuel. When you go for another fill up, you will still have fuel in the tank, but how can you accurately tell how much is in there? And in turn, how will you know how much to put of the lower octane and how much to put of the higher octane to get it to the desired octane reading that you want? I mean yea you might be able to somewhat get around the octane reading you want for the gas you put in during the fill up, but since you don't know exactly how much gas was in the tank before hand, how will the overall octane reading of the total fuel in the tank be at the level you want it to be at?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by CaptKirk,Jan 11 2007, 10:04 AM
The only thing im curious about is how will you maintain an accurate mix of gas in your tank? I mean unless you COMPLETELY burn off EVERY drop of gas in your tank at each fill up, you can't maintain an accurate octane level that you want.

Think about it... lets say you take the harder approach to get a good and accurate mixture the first time you fill up by mixing the fuel in a container and THEN putting it in your car. Now you go and drive, burn off the fuel. When you go for another fill up, you will still have fuel in the tank, but how can you accurately tell how much is in there? And in turn, how will you know how much to put of the lower octane and how much to put of the higher octane to get it to the desired octane reading that you want? I mean yea you might be able to somewhat get around the octane reading you want for the gas you put in during the fill up, but since you don't know exactly how much gas was in the tank before hand, how will the overall octane reading of the total fuel in the tank be at the level you want it to be at?
My intention is to fill the entire tank with 114....
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Jan 11 2007, 01:32 PM
My intention is to fill the entire tank with 114....
Oh ok... i got confused by the title of the thread... it said mixing so i thought you were gonna try to achieve X octane level by mixing.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CaptKirk,Jan 11 2007, 10:37 AM
Oh ok... i got confused by the title of the thread... it said mixing so i thought you were gonna try to achieve X octane level by mixing.
Apologize for the confusion. My initial thoughts were to do a mixture, but seeing as how I don't drive the car that much I might as well just use 114.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Jan 11 2007, 02:24 PM
Apologize for the confusion. My initial thoughts were to do a mixture, but seeing as how I don't drive the car that much I might as well just use 114.
No need to apologize

I was just explaining why I went into that long explanation (for no reason it seems )
Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CaptKirk,Jan 11 2007, 11:38 AM
No need to apologize

I was just explaining why I went into that long explanation (for no reason it seems )
And I appreciate your long explanation.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 AM

Well in terms of not being sure how much fuel is left in the tank and maintaining the correct mixture, why not just stick to the % formula?

For instance, if you start with a 50/50 mix then everytime you fill up/top up, assuming that you have 1/2 a tank left, then you would just first fill your 91octane with say 2 gallons and then top up another 2 gallons with your 110 octane (or whatever octane you choose to mix with). That way you can be quite certain that your tank always have a 50/50 mixture (or whatever ratio u decide to do). I mean, although by just looking at the gauge you cannot tell exactly how much gas you would need to fully fill up the tank, but you can approximate roughly how much it will take before it hits full. So based on this you can deduce how much total fuel you can 'comfortably' get in the tank and just divide the mixtures! You may always get a full tank this way but hey you can certainly get close enough, and over time you will get a feel for just exactly how much is enough to fully top her up! Am I making sense?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:48 PM

I have a Comptech aftercooled S/C running stock boost (7 lbs max I think). With crappy 91 Octane CA gas I hear knocking at 7800-8800 RPM (very scary way up there). I mix in 100 octane to bring the mix to 93 octane (2.5 gallons/take or so) and that cures it. Seems a bit quicker, but my butt dyno has not been calibrated in a while Mostly due it for safety.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jakeom3,Jan 13 2007, 12:48 AM
I have a Comptech aftercooled S/C running stock boost (7 lbs max I think). With crappy 91 Octane CA gas I hear knocking at 7800-8800 RPM (very scary way up there). I mix in 100 octane to bring the mix to 93 octane (2.5 gallons/take or so) and that cures it. Seems a bit quicker, but my butt dyno has not been calibrated in a while Mostly due it for safety.
You need to get a better tune ASAP!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough, a little $ spent on getting it tuned for out weighs the possibility of the $ on a new motor.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

don't do what i did and blow your motor becuase of a bad tune!

Quick Reply: Mixing regular and race gas...