S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Modified OEM fuel tank baffle with trap doors

Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by staylor725
I have all the parts needed for this just want to post this before getting started to hear others opinions.
In my opinion, I think it'd be much easier to run a external surge tank. Full Blown has a practically bolt in solution but you're limited to the one pump you can use http://fullblownmoto...uel-surge-tank. I know SoS and Radium both make dual pump versions that will work great as well. Put a regular Walbro 255 back in the stock hanger and have it feed one of those. Might be slightly more money, but seems like way less of a headache than cutting open the tank and rewelding it.

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
any thoughts on the Holley hydramat? https://www.holley.c...stems/hydramat/
First time I'd ever seen them. These look awesome. The problem is the factory swirl bucket won't allow you to get anything much larger than the normal aftermarket sock. With that said, Steven622 posted this link in his build thread as one size that might fit: https://www.holley.c...ts/parts/16-106

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
The small slit in the bottom of that basket is not big enough to feed a 255 pumped to an empty 5 gallon bucket. With a fuel level at the top of the basket on the outside of the basket, the pump would run the basket dry waiting for fuel to enter the basket through the slit.
You sure about that? If that was true, nobody's external surge tank solutions would work.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm trying to avoid the surge tank not that I don't like them, I don't want to lose any more trunk space or get fuel smell in the car. For a street car I want to stay with a in tank pump setup, I know it's more work but it will be worth it if it works like I think it will. You guys must also remember that the fuel returning back to the tank is also filling the baffle.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Messing with the fuel tank seems like more trouble than it's worth. It might not even be as effective as a fuel surge tank in the end. I run a surge tank and used to run a FB hanger (which I need to sell). I got fuel smell with that setup since the epoxy for the wiring needed to be redone. I run PTFE hose with my fuel surge tank and have no hint of feel smell. You can mount a surge tank under the car where the fuel canister is located.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle
Originally Posted by staylor725' timestamp='1467070765' post='24003914
I have all the parts needed for this just want to post this before getting started to hear others opinions.
In my opinion, I think it'd be much easier to run a external surge tank. Full Blown has a practically bolt in solution but you're limited to the one pump you can use http://fullblownmoto...uel-surge-tank. I know SoS and Radium both make dual pump versions that will work great as well. Put a regular Walbro 255 back in the stock hanger and have it feed one of those. Might be slightly more money, but seems like way less of a headache than cutting open the tank and rewelding it.

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
any thoughts on the Holley hydramat? https://www.holley.c...stems/hydramat/
First time I'd ever seen them. These look awesome. The problem is the factory swirl bucket won't allow you to get anything much larger than the normal aftermarket sock. With that said, Steven622 posted this link in his build thread as one size that might fit: https://www.holley.c...ts/parts/16-106

The small slit in the bottom of that basket is not big enough to feed a 255 pumped to an empty 5 gallon bucket. With a fuel level at the top of the basket on the outside of the basket, the pump would run the basket dry waiting for fuel to enter the basket through the slit.
You sure about that? If that was true, nobody's external surge tank solutions would work.
Yes I am sure. Read my statement again. With the fuel level in the tank below the height of the basket inside the tank where the filter sock sits. A 255 pump running into a 5 gallon bucket, it sucked the fuel out quicker than the fuel in the tank could re enter the basket through the slit in the side.

This was bench tested, with no side load a car experiences to splash fuel back into the basket from the top.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:56 PM

Yes I am sure. Read my statement again. With the fuel level in the tank below the height of the basket inside the tank where the filter sock sits. A 255 pump running into a 5 gallon bucket, it sucked the fuel out quicker than the fuel in the tank could re enter the basket through the slit in the side.

This was bench tested, with no side load a car experiences to splash fuel back into the basket from the top.
So are you saying surge tanks don't work? Because that's obviously not true. Maybe you mean they won't work if the fuel in the tank is low enough? Seems to me if the fuel isn't high enough to refill the bowl, you're probably on E.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1467238904' post='24005522

So are you saying surge tanks don't work? Because that's obviously not true. Maybe you mean they won't work if the fuel in the tank is low enough? Seems to me if the fuel isn't high enough to refill the bowl, you're probably on E.
I never said surge tanks do not work, where did I even come close to saying that? All of my posts in this thread are referring to a 100% stock fuel system on an S2000 aside from a 255 pump used to test a theory. Yes, you would be on "E."

a 255 pump with 0 fluid pressure on the outlet will flow a lot more fuel vs running to a regulator set at 40-60psi. This is probably why my example above was found to be true.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:05 AM

I never said surge tanks do not work, where did I even come close to saying that? All of my posts in this thread are referring to a 100% stock fuel system on an S2000 aside from a 255 pump used to test a theory. Yes, you would be on "E."

a 255 pump with 0 fluid pressure on the outlet will flow a lot more fuel vs running to a regulator set at 40-60psi. This is probably why my example above was found to be true.
I inferred it based on the context of the topic. Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by soulicious
Messing with the fuel tank seems like more trouble than it's worth. It might not even be as effective as a fuel surge tank in the end. I run a surge tank and used to run a FB hanger (which I need to sell). I got fuel smell with that setup since the epoxy for the wiring needed to be redone. I run PTFE hose with my fuel surge tank and have no hint of feel smell. You can mount a surge tank under the car where the fuel canister is located.
I don't agree with (Messing with the fuel tank seems like more trouble than it's worth.) I know it wont be as affective as a surge tank because a surge tank is gravity feeding the pump. I don't see how you had fuel smell unless you didn't have the body cover installed and with ptfe lines smell isn't a problem but they do cost a bit more. I just don't like the thought of having a surge tank under the car, when you look inside the tank you can tell that the problem is the oem baffle. I have had many cars, this is the only one I have problem's with on low fuel level and they all had in tank pumps. If it doesn't work it was worth the shot imo.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The smell was from fuel leaking through the hole where the wires are epoxied. I had a cover on too. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by soulicious
The smell was from fuel leaking through the hole where the wires are epoxied. I had a cover on too. Good luck.
Ok I see, thanks I will need it.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM fuel tank baffle with trap doors