S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Is My Turbo Healthy? Wheel Making Contact With Compressor Housing

Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is My Turbo Healthy? Wheel Making Contact With Compressor Housing

Hey guys, hoping someone can give me some info on this before I move forward with my build:

I recently purchased a used BW S256 journal bearing turbo. I noticed when the turbo came in that if I spun the shaft quick enough with my fingers, the compressor wheel would make light contact with the compressor housing.

There's some very small/fine scratches on the housing where the blades have made contact, and also some very light rubbing done on the blades themselves.

Is this normal, or do I need to get this turbo balanced/rebuild prior to installing it? Picture is not my turbo, but very similar to what I'm seeing:

Name:  CIMG3076.jpg
Views: 6494
Size:  30.6 KB

According to this video, I'm definitely in the "acceptable" range of shaft play (maybe even less than what the video shows), but my main concern is the contact with the housing... If you guys DO think I need to rebuild this turbo, I'd definitely appreciate any links to some rebuild kits for the S256. I can't imagine I'd need any new wheels/anything like that, probably just a re-balance and new seals for good measure.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That turbo is no good if it's making contact with anything in the housing
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phill24
That turbo is no good if it's making contact with anything in the housing
Damn, that's what I thought. Sending small fragments of metal off of the turbine through the intercooler and eventually into the engine, I'm sure... Rather disappointing since I bought it off someone on this site.

Any idea what all I would need for a rebuild kit? Nothing really seems damaged that badly right now; I think I just need the shaft re-balanced.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

not good OP, return to seller ASAP
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yeah that was my first thought, you dont want that metal dust getting in your engine.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
not good OP, return to seller ASAP
The turbo was the first piece I bought back in March... I asked my turbo-diesel guy if this was a problem at that time and he said no, but I'm now obviously finding out that he was wrong. I don't really have much room to negotiate a refund/price drop or anything like that, but we'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yeah that was my first thought, you dont want that metal dust getting in your engine.
Yarp. If anyone has any links to some good rebuild kits or any info on getting a turbo rebuilt I'd appreciate it. Once again, i don't think I really need to replace any turbo components themselves, just get the shaft re-balanced to get rid of the compressor contact.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was my understanding that some side-to-side shaft play was ok on journal bearing turbos, as the oil pressure should keep them centered when actually running. However, the scratches on the housing would concern me. as it does look like it was making contact while running.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by lleron
It was my understanding that some side-to-side shaft play was ok on journal bearing turbos, as the oil pressure should keep them centered when actually running. However, the scratches on the housing would concern me. as it does look like it was making contact while running.
Yep, it's not the shaft play that worries me (very minimal) but the contact with the housing.

I don't think I can really rely on the oil pressure either to keep the shaft centered and stopping contact either when I'm actually running the car; it seems like too much of a risk.

I'm going to PM the guy that sold me this soon and see what he has to say. He struck me as a pretty honest guy so I'll see what he suggests, although if I recall correctly I don't think he ever actually ran this turbo on his car...
Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

honestly though if you bought it in march its on you now. your way beyond the paypal claim time frame and as a seller if I legitimately didnt know something was wrong i'd tell you sorry after this long. now if it was a week ago you bought it your entitled to a refund
Old 07-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
honestly though if you bought it in march its on you now. your way beyond the paypal claim time frame and as a seller if I legitimately didnt know something was wrong i'd tell you sorry after this long. now if it was a week ago you bought it your entitled to a refund
I'm not at all looking for a refund, that opportunity walked a long time ago. I'm just curious to see what he says and if he has any input on how to repair it.

I live in a really small town in Texas, and there aren't really any reputable tuner/mechanic shops within 100 miles of me. I'll have to figure out where to go to get the turbo rebuilt/re-balanced, and what parts I'll need to get the job done.

Quick Reply: Is My Turbo Healthy? Wheel Making Contact With Compressor Housing