S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Novi 1500 install

Old 07-24-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by manny-s2000' timestamp='1343106803' post='21884172
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1343063696' post='21882182']
Thanks for the input. I recently found s2kadrenalins build thread to get some insight, and what a drag of a read that is, would make anyone want to quit, and unfortunately I can relate too well myself. Hopefully I’ll have better luck with this next motor and blower transition.

As far as the 1200 goes, is it upgradeable to flow more cfm to say 1500 standards down the road if I wish? I cant recall if say 928 or someone makes an upgraded impellor that flows better, or if that’s the 1220 I’m thinking of and the 1200 is already maxed. Obviously 9:1 compression isnt ideal for a Supercharger set up, it’s a bit low being more for Turbo, so I want to get the most cfm and efficiency I can from the right size blower. I will probably still continue to spray water/meth, if nothing else as a measure of cooling and safety.
Man I have a 9.5:1 comp engine and I maxed the 1200 blower best I saw was 21psi and honestly the car did go like a bullet but down low the compression loss I feel was too much. I suppose if I went 10 or 10.5:1 I would have been much better.
Before I blew a headgasket via a bad rad cap, my engine was built for high comp n/a 13:1comp and on 10psi with the SOS kit down low went like a train compared to my 9.5:1 (changed pistons) on 21psi.
This was all done on e85 just incase anyone thinks I was crazy

All in all from my experience the car went MUCH better with the higher comp in the low to midrange. I didn't have big enough balls and bankroll to risk going higher psi on that compression. I was even thinking of boxing up my itb setup and using it with my SOS kit but lots of time and money involved to tune it right, so I scrapped that idea.

I am now finishing the fb stage 2 install, but I would love to see what route you go and how it all turns out. Goodluck hopefully some of my experiences can help you out.

Also forgot to mention don't let s2kadrenalin's experience deter you, there arent many competent tuners here in Australia. Also from what I heard and read on here the engine may also have been an issue. Feel for him though he went through hell with that car.
What was your max hp/trq end up being at 21psi and what rpm? Better yet do you happen to have a dyno sheet you can post? What size pulley config were you running to make that psi? I like the idea of running a more efficient higher comp motor like 10-11:1 as well, especially being a meth user lol, but for $3200 I couldn't pass up a complete F22 with a 0 mile built bottom end. Hopefully I wont be too disappointment with the performance. This is where I figured I'd need to be playing with the 1500 to more or less maximize what the motor can offer on pump gas. Thanks
[/quote]
I will see if I can dig it up.. Off the top of my head I made 330kw atw on the 21psi run before it started slipping
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple months ago, I was looking into getting the 1500 instead of upgrading to the 1200, but changed my mine (I have an E85 tune). You'd need a bigger crankshaft pulley (ASP has 7" on file and the turnaround time was like 3-4 weeks). I think ilovemyhonda1984 mentioned in some thread that he he only got 16psi using the stock crankshaft pulley.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when the air stacks up on the compressor on a supercharger causes the vanes to bend and come apart turbos surging will chatter the compressor wheel before it stops and pop ask me how i know ive had 5 turbo configurations on my 5.9 cummins currently compound turbo and happy no surging at least turbos can slow before they go not an sc just pop my to cents
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by CD7SirAccord
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1343111508' post='21884258
Can someone enlighten me on this "compressor Serge" I've been hearing specific to the NV1500?
The compressor surge issue pertains to closed throttle and part throttle. Since the blower CFM is dictated by RPM of the crankshaft, unlike a turbo with exhaust spooling the turbo. The CFM flow of the N1500 is a lot higher during off throttle and high RPM. When you are wide open throttle and close the throttle blade, the impeller is still spinning at a high speed, if you do not have a big enough BOV the air will not be evacuated fast enough and the air from the blower will collide with the air not evacuated. Some say that the air coming back would be enough to put a large load to the impeller and possibly even stall the impeller and back spin it, but I can't see an impeller spinning 60000 rpm just stop and go the other way, especially since it's driven off the crankshaft, I could be wrong though. The same thing can happen if you are at high RPMs partial throttle, it is not moving enough air through the engine, but it is still producing a large amout of air from the blower and it has nowhere else to go.

Definitely looking forward to the outcome of this with the lower compression and the bigger blower. I've often thought about upping the CR on a blower motor and maybe run less boost or keeping it the same. Who know's maybe it would like it. Lol
Thanks for the explanation, that makes total sense. So an upgraded BOV set up would be likely smart. I'm still running the Comptech kit supplied bosch valve. I was thinking if I run a second valve at the air injection port of the Aftercooler, that would be twice the air flow ejection, that might be an easy solution
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by soulicious
A couple months ago, I was looking into getting the 1500 instead of upgrading to the 1200, but changed my mine (I have an E85 tune). You'd need a bigger crankshaft pulley (ASP has 7" on file and the turnaround time was like 3-4 weeks). I think ilovemyhonda1984 mentioned in some thread that he he only got 16psi using the stock crankshaft pulley.
A custom made crank pulley wouldn’t deter me from the 1500, especially since I can use at 16psi in the interim. I've got a local machine shop guy I have a report with so getting one made up shouldn’t be a problem. Some other more difficult issues with the 1500 may denture me though, I haven’t heard anything to scare me off yet. I appreciate all the info thus far.

Wouldn’t you need a different size crank pulley to maximize the 1200 as well though? Being it maxes somewhere about 21psi? If I am recalling paxtons website accurately that is.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a turbonetics godzilla that closes at 2 inch vacuum i would thing two bov one that closes at 0 one that closes at 3 psi should let the rpm of the motor be high enough to take in all that air and not surge or one really big bow 2.5''?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F to the yeah!

but get a real tuning solution!!!!!!!!!! no piggy back crap. PLEASE!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by camuman
F to the yeah!

but get a real tuning solution!!!!!!!!!! no piggy back crap. PLEASE!
They have their pros and cons, just like standalones. You just have to pick your poison and hope it doesn’t kill you.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2k manic
i have a turbonetics godzilla that closes at 2 inch vacuum i would thing two bov one that closes at 0 one that closes at 3 psi should let the rpm of the motor be high enough to take in all that air and not surge or one really big bow 2.5''?
Interesting thought. Yeah the comptech Bosch valve looks to close about -5 vac. Might be too soon for a big blower. This is an area of tuning I’m not that familiar with. But it’s obviously more imperative the higher pressures you start to deal with. Having a BOV I can adjust I think would be smart, and getting one that is large enough to cope. Any recommendations there? It will need to be something I can modify to fit on my Comptech aftercooler.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

The air pump inlet on the blower is a smaller diameter than the diverter valve, so technically it would not flow twice the air. Even if you had twin bosch diverters, you could flow more air with a single 50mm tial bov. If your running a comptech ac, you can easily make your own adapter with a tial flange without hacking up your ac...unlike us SOS guys.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Novi 1500 install