S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

THE OFFICIAL: WATER/METHANOL INJECTION Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post THE OFFICIAL: WATER/METHANOL INJECTION Thread

Why Water Methanol Injection?

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.

In diesels, the effect is three fold: 1. The intercooling effect provides for more available air and all the benefits of a higher positive pressure ratio (more power giving fuel can be utilized safely without high combustion temperatures). 2. The combustion of water provides for more power on the power stroke. 3. Methanol acts as an additional fuel for more power.

A brief History:
Water injection was evaluated scientifically in the 1930.s by H. Ricardo who demonstrated that one can basically double the power output of an engine using water/methanol. The first widespread use was during WWII on supercharged and turbocharged aircraft. In 1942, the German Luftwaffe increased the horsepower of the Focke-Wulf 190D-9 fighter aircraft from 1776HP to 2240HP using 50/50% water/methanol injection. The allies soon followed by fitting the P51 Mustang and other high performance aircraft with water/methanol injection. Following the war, the turboprop aircraft industry used water/methanol injection and called it the "automatic power reserve system (APR)" for use in hot or high altitude take off. It surfaced again in the 60's when GM used a system on the OEM turbo Corvair. It was used effectively in Formula 1 before being banned for adding too much power.

In recent years, water methanol injection has become ever more popular and recognized as an invaluable tool for both gasoline and diesel forced induction engines as well as naturally aspirated applications. While often times referred to as a
Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aem $395.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant has the Aquamist kit @ 12psi
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the AEM for the price.

This would be great to couple to my Scramble boost feature. Sounds like I have next summers first project planned. Maybe you could use a t-fitting and spray the intercooler also? Or if it would make enough difference while adding the water.

Great write up, I wish everyone wrote like this.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 PM

S2kart also runs water/meth on a homemade kit and still hold the record for most wheel HP.
Brilliant holds the TQ record and IMO this is more important than HP.

(Both are for Greddy kits)
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 AM

My tuner prefers the AIS Stage 2 Digital Progressive Trunk Mount Water Methanol/Alcohol Injection System.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/p10...oduct_info.html
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 AM

I'm thinking to run the AEM Kit with a Dual Nozzles Setup

Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back in the 70's, the question was about calcium and magnesium deposits in the combustion chamber. (from water evaporating) this prospect I wouldnt like at all.
is this a real concern?

another question, is wether 87 octane (instead of 91 or 93) could be used in conjunction with water/alcohol, methanol etc. to save money at the gas pump?

how long will a tank of water last for street driving?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brutus,Sep 11 2008, 06:05 AM
back in the 70's, the question was about calcium and magnesium deposits in the combustion chamber. (from water evaporating) this prospect I wouldnt like at all.
is this a real concern?

another question, is wether 87 octane (instead of 91 or 93) could be used in conjunction with water/alcohol, methanol etc. to save money at the gas pump?

how long will a tank of water last for street driving?
1. I wouldn't use 87
2. Depends on how your system is mapped. Mine comes on at 5psi. So thus, it depends on how you drive.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsddcd,Sep 10 2008, 10:48 PM
I like the AEM for the price.

This would be great to couple to my Scramble boost feature. Sounds like I have next summers first project planned. Maybe you could use a t-fitting and spray the intercooler also? Or if it would make enough difference while adding the water.

Great write up, I wish everyone wrote like this.
i think if you are running an air to air intercooler it would make a difference...but if you're running an air-liquid aftercooler setup not so much...it would have to cool the radiator which cools the coolant which cools the radiator inside the aftercooler unit which cools the air...too long of a process for some spray on the outside of the radiator to make a significant difference imo if you were running air to air though it seems like a better option since you're cooling the intercooler which cools the air directly...but i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: THE OFFICIAL: WATER/METHANOL INJECTION Thread