S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Planning to supercharge

Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to supercharge

Hi all, I am planning on going with a Vortech this summer hoping to obtain a used kit from a member if I can find one when the time comes. I am pretty happy with my car now but this want alittle more kick so I am sure I will be happy with stock boost for a while. I live in upstate New York, and I peaked around the upstate forums and it appears the turbo guys go to PA, Jersey, my mechanic goes to Maryland for tuning his STI. Whats on my mind is the AFR, I heard some guys luck out on stock boost and bolt and go, others I've heard sadly scroch their cylinder walls (I may be wrong about the scorching but I read something happens). I do not want to drive long distance and pay the money just to have my AFR looked at so I am looking for options. The AFR is a big deal so do I have to have a turner look at it or can I just get a FPR or something this to run alittle richer to be safe? I may have answered my own question but would rather hear your guys opinions and what you think I should do. Keep in mind very simple set up, Vortech stock pulley, and a HKS dual hi-power, there are some s2000 around my area my friend use to have one but was stock and others that I have seen around are slightly modded or stock so no help.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM

No need to go to any special tuner. Just go to any dyno that has a wideband readout and they can let you know if you are safe or not. The stock kit has no tuning capability. The only thing you can do is run a 12:1 calibration disc from vortech if it is lean.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also use a vafc to richen things up some . Atleast with vortech that is .
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM

ok cool thanx
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danks2k,Apr 30 2008, 04:20 PM
No need to go to any special tuner. Just go to any dyno that has a wideband readout and they can let you know if you are safe or not. The stock kit has no tuning capability. The only thing you can do is run a 12:1 calibration disc from vortech if it is lean.
What is this calibration disc you speak of?

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as the OP.

I just bought a stock kit off a member including everything.

My car has Toda header and 70mm T1R exhaust. From what I can tell from smelling the tail pipe I'm running rich .

I'm going to get a blinky light gauge, I was thinking of ordering a wideband as well -- but then as mentioned ... what's the point if you can't change the A/F with the stock kit anyways?

What is an inexpensive VAFC? Next step would be an e-manage I guess or AEM EMS. I don't want HUGE power, I just want a reliable kick in the pants for auto-x and track days (the only time I drive the car).

Currently the car is fast enough 90% of the time, just need that extra boost for some up-hill corners .
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM

If you're going to the considerable trouble and expense of going FI at all, I'd *highly* recommend going with an AEM EMS.

Yes, it's an extra $1000 plus $700 (or so) for competent tuning - but it's worth the peace of mind IMHO.

That having been said, I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who are doing just fine with the stock setup.

Last thing - get some titanium bolts to replace the ones that come in the kit for the VTEC solenoid. LMK when you do this and I'll point you in the right direction. Unless you like the idea of extracting broken bolts from your block...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately for me there is only one dyno in town and for some reason he refuses to tune superchargers -- only turbos....

But WIth a wideband and and AEM EMS and time at a track I guess it could be done somehow.

Where do you get the titanium bolts? I read somewhere people get them at home depot but I can guarantee they don't have them at Home Depot here because I've been in their bolt section MANY MANY times, they only carry the cheap ass grade 8 bolts and not a very good selection -- almost ZERO of them are metric.

Perhaps another local supply store can get them, but usually grade 8 is the best you can get around here.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Why is the ti bolts suggested when going SC?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by wing,May 7 2008, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately for me there is only one dyno in town and for some reason he refuses to tune superchargers -- only turbos....

But WIth a wideband and and AEM EMS and time at a track I guess it could be done somehow.

Where do you get the titanium bolts? I read somewhere people get them at home depot but I can guarantee they don't have them at Home Depot here because I've been in their bolt section MANY MANY times, they only carry the cheap ass grade 8 bolts and not a very good selection -- almost ZERO of them are metric.

Perhaps another local supply store can get them, but usually grade 8 is the best you can get around here.
wow, Tapp wont tune a blower?

Otherwise we have Michael but he tunes on the street, then there is KVR, (edwin has had good training) and we have some great tuners in montreal and toronto.

cant wait for you to have it done, Im still tossing up and down on the idea to go turbo or charger again.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wing,May 7 2008, 04:59 PM

Racebolts.com

HF0680 Titanium Hex Flange Bolt M6X80

You need 3 to replce the bolts that go through the VTEC solenoid.

Why?

Because they break with alarming frequency (even Grade 8 SS). Vortech never would have used a long thin bolt like that - they simply had to because that's what was available as an attachment point(s) on the block.

You've been warned...

Quick Reply: Planning to supercharge