S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Precision 6262 Turbo Rebuild - Need Help!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision 6262 Turbo Rebuild - Need Help!

Hey everyone, my turbo S2000 started smoking and I attributed it to the turbo.

Here is the start of the turbo rebuild:

Video of the turbo before the tear down:

Here it is right before the breakdown. There does not appear to be any substantial damage to the exterior. The exterior is very dirty and has some rust deposits on the outside of the Center Housing (I am not sure what the actual name for it is). It has a good bit of radial play but not really any in/out play. The exhaust side is extremely dark and some small deposits can be seen inside the turbine housing.

I removed the the housings on both sides and inspected them. The compressor housing seems to be in great condition with no real signs of wear that I can seeThe exhaust housing has tons of buildup inside of it, but does not visually appear to be damaged.

But I am by no means a turbo expert so I do not know exactly what I would be looking for. Do I need to take any measurements to ensure these housings will be good for reuse? I think both of these housings can be cleaned and reused - right?

Next I removed the compressor turbine. The compressor turbine seems to still be in great shape. The fins are clean and do not appear to be bent. There is some wear near the end of the blades that looks consistent through each blade. It is very light so it looks ok to me, but again I am no expert. The back of the turbine seems clean and free from scratches.

Then I removed the turbine shaft. The exhaust turbine is very dark from use but does not appear to have deposits on it like the exhaust turbine housing does. The first thing I noticed was that there were 2 grooves for what looked like piston rings to go but only one of the grooves had a ring in it. Does that mean the second one broke off on mine, or perhaps it only has 1, is that spot intended to be empty? The exhaust turbine fins do not appear to be bent or scratched. The shaft has wear near the end and measured to be .3969". After doing research I discovered spec for a T3 / T4 turbine shaft is .3999" - .3995". Since my turbine shift is way out of range should it be replaced?

Next I took off the backing plate. I removed the compressor housing backing plate from the center piece and noticed some wear in the center bore of the backing plate. Could this be caused by the radial play, and should I be concerned? If yes, where would I find what spec is for that bore? Other than the damage in the bore the backing plate seems to be in great condition. I took the c clips, thrust bearing, and journal bearing out from the compressor side and none of them appeared to have substantial damage, but will be replaced anyways. I also notice from my research that most turbos have some kind of sprocket holding the thrust bearing onto the compressor backing plate, but my turbo did not have one. Is it because the Precision 6262 is not supposed to have this sprocket, or was mine simply missing it?

Then I took apart the Center Housing that holds the journal bearings. When I took the cover off the exhaust side immediately one of the journal bearings slide out of the housing. This happened because the outside C clip that holds the bearing in was missing. I assume it broke off during use? I removed the journal bearing and interior c clip from the housing and they appeared to be in ok shape, but will be replaced regardless. I know that I am supposed to measure the bore of the Center Housing with a bore micrometer, but unfortunately I do not have one or know anyone who has one. Is this a step that I should not skip? I am afraid that it could be worn. Also, if it was worn what would I have to do? Would it need to be replaced or could it be repaired somehow?

Will a standard T3 / T4 rebuild kit work for my rebuild? Do I need to replace the turbine shaft because it is worn? Thank you everyone for your input on this rebuild. If I am using any terms wrong please let me know because I would love to learn the correct language to use when referring to turbos.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Definitely evidence of rub on both the compressor and turbine wheels. Compressor wheel looks okay to reuse though. The turbine shaft wheel assembly is toast though as the diameter where the bearing rides is out of spec. Those clearance there are critical. The center housing is probably okay. You'll have to get the assembly balanced after you put it all back together. Man, crazy how rusted the center housing and turbine housing are.

Just FYI, an article on turbo bearing systems:
Turbo Tech: Turbo Bearings
The following users liked this post:
UCF_S2K (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input and the link to the article, it was a very informative read!

I will definitely be getting a new turbine shaft wheel assembly and a T3 / T4 rebuild kit.

What about the other parts, should I take measurements of them somehow or is a visual inspection ok? The parts I'm concerned with are:
-Bore of Center Housing, I'm sure it is probably fine but I may measure it with a bore micrometer just to be sure. If it is too large from wear, what is the best course of action?
-Compressor and Exhaust Housing, Since both the compressor and exhaust turbine have evidence of rubbing should I measure the housing? And how is that done?
-Bore of Compressor Backing Plate, Should I be concerned with this? And what is spec?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Boost Lab, Inc

Instagram

They'll take care of you.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UCF_S2K
Thanks for the input and the link to the article, it was a very informative read!

I will definitely be getting a new turbine shaft wheel assembly and a T3 / T4 rebuild kit.

What about the other parts, should I take measurements of them somehow or is a visual inspection ok? The parts I'm concerned with are:
-Bore of Center Housing, I'm sure it is probably fine but I may measure it with a bore micrometer just to be sure. If it is too large from wear, what is the best course of action?
-Compressor and Exhaust Housing, Since both the compressor and exhaust turbine have evidence of rubbing should I measure the housing? And how is that done?
-Bore of Compressor Backing Plate, Should I be concerned with this? And what is spec?
I'd just use the compressor backing plate and center housing as is. If you replace those, you're at almost at a whole new turbo at which point I'd just buy new turbo.