S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Quiet BOV for supercharger?

Old 02-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
Does this hold true on an IC setup as well if the bpv is located post-ic? Rotrex does specifically state NOT to recirculate hot air into the blower inlet, and if you are recirculating, it needs to be done post-ic. I'm not sure on the layout of the SOS HX, I'm assuming the recirculated air is before it's going through the core from the heat exchanger, so it's hot air?

Sucks to hear. I have the QRJ with the diffuser cone, and I was specifically trying to avoid it being obnoxious although I had a feeling it would be no matter what if venting to atmosphere. I ended up changing my setup last second due to time constraints with my fabricator and not having the proper materials, so it's currently set up for VTA, but if it does prove annoying I'm going to go back to the original plan and recirculate it from the cold piping.

Dustin @RAIN H8R suggests using a hose discharge on the QRJ as it quiets it down significantly.
So, on the SOS kit I have, I have the aftercooler that sits between the compressor and the TB that cools down the air going into the TB.

The SOS kit has the BOV/BPV at the aftercooler, but before the air actually gets cooled.. so you're injecting hot air back into the intake pre-compressor. Idk how much the compressor heats up the air beyond ambient... BUT, the other concern is compressor surge. I've read here that evacuating a high PSI setup worth of air back into the intake causes compressor surge as it doesnt evacuate enough air quickly enough.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd LOVE to quiet down my BOV.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't want to correct anyone, I just want to put most at ease that from my experience the air intake temps were not drastically different when I recirculated my strung out Novi1000 SC with a 3" pulley.

Yes the intercooler/heat exchanger might work harder and SC is being injected with warmer air, but again, from my experience it wasn't anything astronomical.

I cannot provide before and after data however if requested I can share datalogs showing part-throttle and WOT AITs.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:10 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn! This is a great board!!! Thanks all. Got the info I needed for sure, even a link to order the part and confit that the IAT will be fine in a higher boost recirculating bov.

Ive done 4 turbo bikes, but nothing supercharged, so I’d be reinventing the wheel if not for your knowledge and willingness to share.

Thank you all.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:00 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Please explain to me how a hose diameter that matches the outlet diameter would choke the ability of the blow off valve.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Please explain to me how a hose diameter that matches the outlet diameter would choke the ability of the blow off valve.
Your comment here sparked me to do a search and I am mistaken... I didn't realize Tial made several different outlet hose flanges for the QRJ. Looks like there is a 1.5'' available. The one I have (that it came with) is like a 1'' diameter outlet and I figured that much reduction in the outlet might affect the flow.

Very cool.. I'm going to pick one up and get a hose on the end of that BOV! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:42 AM

For anybody reading this in the future, I finally got the QRJ setup with the 1.5'' outlet flange and a 6'' hose extended off the end of it. It's amazing! I can actually enjoy my car again without getting annoyed with the hiss after 15 minutes.

I used to not even be able to hear the supercharger whistle at idle anymore, now it's all I hear! Very cool.

Highly recommended!
The following users liked this post:
Kyle (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:12 AM

Received 617 Likes on 423 Posts

Welp....looks like I'll be buying more shit.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this.

Just make sure everything (fittings, hose, valve) is at least 1.5"/38mm diameter otherwise you'll get compressor surge.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
For anybody reading this in the future, I finally got the QRJ setup with the 1.5'' outlet flange and a 6'' hose extended off the end of it. It's amazing! I can actually enjoy my car again without getting annoyed with the hiss after 15 minutes.

I used to not even be able to hear the supercharger whistle at idle anymore, now it's all I hear! Very cool.

Highly recommended!
Can someone in this thread link an exact valve we are talking about?
I have the stock Bosch valve on the SOS Novi 1200 kit and I want a setup that's equally quiet that won't leak.
Also is there a place where I could get the clamp that holds it to the aftercooler?
Old 07-25-2022, 03:06 AM

Received 617 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Pauley
Can someone in this thread link an exact valve we are talking about?
I have the stock Bosch valve on the SOS Novi 1200 kit and I want a setup that's equally quiet that won't leak.
Also is there a place where I could get the clamp that holds it to the aftercooler?
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...psi-qrj-1-5-bk

You can select your inlet & outlet flanges/ports to suit your needs. Also has option for the weld-on flange for your aftercooler.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher Pauley (07-25-2022)