S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Raising engine height for supercharger

Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raising engine height for supercharger

I recently installed Vibratechnics engine mounts and I was hoping this would cure the problem I am having with my supercharger sitting way too low and hitting the crossmember.

I know some others have had issues with this as the clearance is pretty small to begin with. Does anyone have this issue with the Vibratechnics mounts? I feel as though this is way too low. I actually cut a hose clamp between the aftercooler and blower the other day as a result.

What would be the best way to add some height to gain some clearance? I don't want to bend or cut the crossmember.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by braeden
I don't want to bend or cut the crossmember.
This might be your only option. iirc in Comptechs original install manual, they actually recommend that you do it.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really an easy job to bend the cross member. Just use a vice grip plier and bend it. It bends very easily.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM

Well, I mean the other option is putting in spacers between the engine mount bolts. I know that's going to be a f#*&ing nightmare though

Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 0bsolete
Originally Posted by braeden' timestamp='1446600557' post='23794285
I don't want to bend or cut the crossmember.
This might be your only option. iirc in Comptechs original install manual, they actually recommend that you do it.
^this
Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by braeden
I recently installed Vibratechnics engine mounts and I was hoping this would cure the problem I am having with my supercharger sitting way too low and hitting the crossmember.

I know some others have had issues with this as the clearance is pretty small to begin with. Does anyone have this issue with the Vibratechnics mounts? I feel as though this is way too low. I actually cut a hose clamp between the aftercooler and blower the other day as a result.

What would be the best way to add some height to gain some clearance? I don't want to bend or cut the crossmember.

What blower and mounting plate do you have? I don't think any Novi 1200s are that close (mine with the SOS CT adapter plate has plenty of room), but if you have a Novi 1000 it may be your only choice.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Comptech recommends/requires your to bend one side about 2" long to accommodate the oil drain line/fitting not the blower. Either the blower is clocked wrong decreasing clearance, or the motor mounts could be the issue. Is the bottom of the blower volute running exactly parallel to the top of the cross member? If not, it should and that is your problem. If all else fails, and without sacrificing the cross member integrity to any real degree I don’t feel, you could take a cutting wheel/grinder and notch out 5-10mm under the blower to gain the clearance you need. You would need to remove the blower first.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied

I've got a good 5mm or so of clearance between the hose clamp & cross member now.

I decided that I would put in some washers between the engine mount stud and engine mount bracket. I jacked up the engine and loosened the subframe bolts just enough to raise the engine with the jack and slip the washers in between the stud and bracket.

The installation was relatively painless as I was able to loosen the top engine mount bolts without taking the headers off, otherwise it would have been a nightmare.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Not sure how safe doing that is. But if it works, it works.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by KaNgArOo
Not sure how safe doing that is. But if it works, it works.
What's your theory behind this exactly?

I am using Vibratechnics mounts, which have a trued flat aluminium top... just in case anyone neglected to read the first post. I've had a search on Google and it seems some of the R32 guys have had to do the same, although obviously not for the same reason.

Quick Reply: Raising engine height for supercharger