S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Science of Speed install thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget, the more free flowing your exhaust is, the less boost you will build, but the more efficient your kit is and overall the more power you make. i dropped near 1-1.5psi of boost putting on a cat back exhaust, but made more power
Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by camuman,Jun 17 2009, 06:26 AM
dont forget, the more free flowing your exhaust is, the less boost you will build, but the more efficient your kit is and overall the more power you make. i dropped near 1-1.5psi of boost putting on a cat back exhaust, but made more power
Good point. I forgot about that.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 AM

def once your done tweaking everytying, and def verify the belt is/is not slipping, then monitor your iats. your aem now? put in the new calc table that my buddy and i did and see what they do. yours will def not be as high as mine, but seee where they go on long hard pulls.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagherra,Jun 17 2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'm not really out for dyno numbers so I side on conservative side. I'd rather have my car drivable with a HP bump and no motor grenading or blown HG. If I wanted huge HP bragging rights I'd go big Turbo and built motor.

The droning is still there but it's more subtle. At least to me it doesn't buzz in my ears like before. Either that or I'm going deaf.

2nd and 3rd gears for tire slippage. 1-2 and then 2-3 shifts, sometimes if I downshift from 4-3. I don't really hammer it in first. I'm sure I'd be slipping tires like crazy then and probably burn out the clutch.

Honestly...I kind of drive it like an old man except for an occasional burst here and there. That may be why the stock clutch is okay. I know what a clutch feels like when it's slipping and so far so good. I do plan on upgrading within the next few months though.

If you're looking for an easy to install bolt on to add 100 (or more on stage 2) HP to your S you won't go wrong with this kit. I like the SOT also...it seems more involved and you would be limited on peak HP (less efficiency on roots), but you get off the line TQ that would be fun around town. It's all good, just depends on what your looking for.
yeah im not looking for anything ridiculous, just a nice bump in power, while keeping the power delivery relatively stock feeling (hence the SC not turbo).
at 300+hp in this car i think thats plenty for now. tho i keep reading how people get addicted to boost....

hey, anything to help the drone is a plus in my book!

ok i wasnt sure if you meant like 2nd gear of 4th/5th which i was kind of dobuting haha.

2 noob questions while i have you here tho:

1) what are IATS that camuman mentioned, i thought they were interior ambient temps but just checking

2) since you have the AEM, is your car road legal? does your ODB-II work when getting inspected/emissions? i know some states are different and mine (PA) checks with the ODB-II port and I thought that would be disabled and the car would fail. how easy is it to change back to be able to pass emissions then return to full boosted setup when you pass?

thanks for all your great feedback!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One install tip I have is to do the vacuum lines before you install the aftercooler. The instructions say to install the aftercooler then the vacuum lines.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by camuman,Jun 17 2009, 06:48 AM
def once your done tweaking everytying, and def verify the belt is/is not slipping, then monitor your iats. your aem now? put in the new calc table that my buddy and i did and see what they do. yours will def not be as high as mine, but seee where they go on long hard pulls.
Hey camuman,
Where can I find the tables you're referring to?
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by j_t_heilbrun,Jun 17 2009, 02:03 PM
One install tip I have is to do the vacuum lines before you install the aftercooler. The instructions say to install the aftercooler then the vacuum lines.
Interesting...did you find it easier to do that?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by suprmonky73,Jun 17 2009, 07:24 AM
2 noob questions while i have you here tho:

1) what are IATS that camuman mentioned, i thought they were interior ambient temps but just checking

2) since you have the AEM, is your car road legal? does your ODB-II work when getting inspected/emissions? i know some states are different and mine (PA) checks with the ODB-II port and I thought that would be disabled and the car would fail. how easy is it to change back to be able to pass emissions then return to full boosted setup when you pass?

thanks for all your great feedback!
No prob on the feedback...glad to help. I'm still learning and this site is great for that.

1) I just asked camuman about those also.
2) With AEM you lose the ODB-II so it wouldn't pass emissions. It's my understanding that KPro is ODB-II compliant but for AP1 you have to change out a few things to get it to work. I don't know if Kpro would pass your emissions though. I live in Indiana. We're generally a conservative GOP state and very liberal on gun ownership and car emissions.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gotcha. i do know that Kpro for us is something like using a modified RSX ecu, so it would come up as an rsx at the emissions testing. i will have to research further on that one
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by suprmonky73,Jun 17 2009, 03:20 PM
gotcha. i do know that Kpro for us is something like using a modified RSX ecu, so it would come up as an rsx at the emissions testing. i will have to research further on that one
Yeah, I did my stage 1 install before researching. You have to take the crank pulley off for one of the sensors. If you're thinking Kpro due to emissions, make sure you do it all at once instead of the Stage 1, then Stage 2 that I did. One of the lessons I learned.

No biggie...AEM is working for me. I just have to work out some of the little things in the tune. It looks like I need the modifry hookup also or get a serial gauge soon. Seeing nothing for engine heat on the stock gauge and it being hot out is unnerving.

Quick Reply: Science of Speed install thread