S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Smoke from catch can

Old 04-18-2020, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Well it sounds like blow by to me. You shouldn't be getting any smoke/vapor coming from the catch can no matter what it is, and if you are, I assume also coming from the front valve cover breather since its all connected. If its moisture/coolant (depending on how much) you would eventually start to see signs of it in your sump and valvetrain if you were to pull your valve cover off. But just like blow by gasses - oil and unburnt fuel) Coolant could find its way out into the breathers if the HG is breached and coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and being pushed out with blow by gasses rather then just burnt. So in that case it would have to be a blown HG and piston rings both. Might want to do a comp test since easy and see how the numbers look. Hopefully motor is ok.
Ok cool. Compression test next, will update with numbers.

Think anything could have happened with the keeper/retainer swap? It also happened right after a fresh oil change
Old 04-21-2020, 05:09 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Do a leakdown and compression test.

You have twin -8 or -10 an lines to a catch can with an outlet that looks like a single -6. You are chocking off the flow of air from the engine by doing this. The filter outlet size should be equal to or larger than the combined size of the lines coming from the engine.

Once you get a larger outlet filter on the catch can, consider relocating the an bungs to a different spot on the valve cover. Do a RAIN H8R VC mod, and have the bungs put above the baffle plate.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:55 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Do a leakdown and compression test.

You have twin -8 or -10 an lines to a catch can with an outlet that looks like a single -6. You are chocking off the flow of air from the engine by doing this. The filter outlet size should be equal to or larger than the combined size of the lines coming from the engine.

Once you get a larger outlet filter on the catch can, consider relocating the an bungs to a different spot on the valve cover. Do a RAIN H8R VC mod, and have the bungs put above the baffle plate.
This is an interesting comment... I don't believe I've read this concern on here before. Do you recommend a separate catch can for each VC outlet? Typically the catch can setups we see are all going to have the restriction you described above.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

#1. Cheap ebay catch can with super small holes... probably doing your engine more BAD than good... Get a proper catch can like schmucks or something with some volume so your actually let your crank case breathe.

#2. since your most likely pressurizing your CC under boost... most likely getting more and more blow by from pushing oil in the wrong places, not to mention, its not healthy for your engine.

#3 I feel like that one hose is kinked a bit too.... you really need to get some nice -10 PTFE lines and make sure theres ZERO restrictions.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM

still looking into this issue...

yeah, the catch can isnt the best.. but also the other port on the valve cover has a breather.... its smoking good out of there also...

so, i dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but im only making 12psi... ive always ran 15psi with the little ball bearing style boost controller... just strange it went back to gate pressure for no reason???

i need to do another compression test, i did one but i was rushed and didnt write any numbers down... i know i didnt see anything like 80psi.. but #1 was 150psi - then jumped to 175 wet .... so i think its tired...
The following users liked this post:
KingD (02-13-2023)
Old 04-25-2020, 03:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by yamaha6611

valve cover has a breather.... its smoking good out of there also...

so, i dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but im only making 12psi... ive always ran 15psi with the little ball bearing style boost controller... just strange it went back to gate pressure for no reason???

i need to do another compression test, i did one but i was rushed and didnt write any numbers down... i know i didnt see anything like 80psi.. but #1 was 150psi - then jumped to 175 wet .... so i think its tired...
I haven't heard anything yet to make me think the motor is not tossed, on the contrary. Not sounding good.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Possible a vacuum/boost hose got mixed up after the spring/retainer job? That might explain the wastegate issue and pressurization of the crank case or valve cover.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Possible a vacuum/boost hose got mixed up after the spring/retainer job? That might explain the wastegate issue and pressurization of the crank case or valve cover.
No, that wouldn't explain smoke coming out of breather at what I assume is idle/vac, unless he has a cam under the hood watching the vent at WOT while he is driving,which is probably not likely.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-27-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:33 AM

imean... it still makes great power.. .think i should crank that boost controller back up to 15psi and keep driving it?
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

No. I noticed the same symptoms from my supercharged engine... then I did a leakdown test. I had extreme blow-by. That's when I took the motor to Inline Pro.

I HIGHLY suggest you do a leakdown. If not, you could blow the motor and damage the block to a state where it's not repairable. Not a fun position to be in, ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Smoke from catch can