S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS Stage 1 Supercharger

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SOS Stage 1 Supercharger

Planning on getting a supercharger this summer. I've been doing research and I've concluded I'm going to go with the SOS product for there good performance and service reviews. I plan on going with a Stage 2 with Hondata Kpro (have to pass emissions in NY), but I can't afford all of that now. So I was thinking about going with the Stage 1 kit so that I can save and get EMS system later. I have a 2001 AP1. Currently all stock.

I've read some reviews about the kit. Wanted to get some more opinions. Is it worth it to get stage 1 to start and upgrade later on? I know they say stage 1 is "bolt on" ready but how do you set the air/fuel ratio correct? Can you do it yourself or do you need a tuner to do it.

Any feedback and advice would be appreciated. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and continue to build.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You set the fuel via the rising rate fuel pressure regulator that comes in the stage one kit, its a simple adjustment, but you have to be able to see the a/f from either a wideband gauge(I highly recommend, only $200) or at a tuning shop. The gauge is actually more accurate over the typical tail sniffer the tuner uses, and you can street tune yourself with a gauge. It pays for itelf as well as in the long run. Get that and a boost gauge as your two primary gauges to run as a must. Also the optional Novi1200 blower for another $50 is the one to get. The 1220 wont offer you the same level of performance when you go higher boost. Not sure if it can be run at stage one however. I believe i did see a thread where someone was running a restrictor plate with a 1200 though so id bring that up with SOS when you go to place the order.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! That's actually really helpful and what I was looking for. Now does SOS provide a good manual that will assist me when trying to set the fuel right and fine tune it? I know in general what I'm doing, but I was just curious if there will be information provided with the kit to assist in adjusting it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

There is a very general setting based on fuel pressure but obviously you need a fuel pressure gauge, and its still not as good as just adjusting to a safe afr. Every car runs a little different, certainly if you have made any breathing mods with a test pipe, cat back etc. You really need a wideband and then just street tune it. Adjusting the regulator itself is easy, and the manual will cover that. But if you have any questions and you will, ask them here and someone will help you.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know this info as I'm also going SOS stage 1. Ordering next month. And if I want more HP this info is very helpfull. Knowledge is key. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM

My advise...just save your money and do it right once. Its cheaper in the long run. SOS will not sell the stage 1 kit with the 1200 because it moves too much air and the fvm module they provide with the stage 1 kit is not calibrated for it.

So...just get the stage 2 kit with the 1200 blower and which ever ems you or your tuner likes. I have installed several of these kits and everyone that has gotten the stage 1 has upgraded within a year! Power with the stage 1 is OK but you will get used to it quickly and be left wanting more.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM

Some background..

Hard dog rollbar
Coilovers
Dtc 60 pads
OEM hardtop (soft top removed)

Car is used for solo II
And lapping

Went with an s2000 for minimal
Maintenance & consumables...and the car has Been solid!! (Fluids are all changed frequently)

It has been virtually "turn-key"
For what it has been used for

Considering the SOS stage 1
With the racing heat exchanger

Any issues with coolant Temps (I assume the heat exchanger is mounted in the front restricting air flow to the rad)

Trying to keep and maintain
the same reliability as stock
Just with more oomph

Still want to use stock exhaust
If anything upgrade the stock clutch.

Is this realistic??

Or should it be left stock??

(Not looking at all for a ton of power... just a bit more from stock)

Thanks in advance

Toshi
Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock clutch will hold at the stage 1 power level. Not as long as it would at stock power level, but it should hold.

I put 25K on my stage 1 kit and I'm still on the original clutch at 95K miles...no slip yet.

I've had my stage 1 for 4 years now. Every now and then I think I want to go to a stage 2, but the stage 1 in my case is over 300whp, and that's a good amount. Spending another $3000* for what would be 50HP (my goal) doesn't seem like a good value.

*Over $2000 for the ECU and OEM pieces needed as I need to pass emissions so it's Hondata or nothing, figure $300 easy for injectors, $300 for tuning, and $100 for a pulley. That doesn't get into actually installing those OEM pieces, which I can't do where I live.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, my stock clutch slipped immediately after installing the base or Stage 1 kit on my 2005. I had 34k miles at the time. It would slip in 3rd gear+ and above 6k or so if I recall correctly. I already had a test pipe and ProFlow aka SOS throttle body prior to the supercharger install so perhaps that was enough extra power to get it to slip. I took the opportunity to install the ap1 flywheel when I upgraded to the SOS sport clutch 800 miles later.

I've had my kit for over 5 years and 26k miles. I recently installed the SOS fuel pump rewire kit as well as the 4.2" pulley to go from 6 psi to 7 psi. I'm still running the FVM or piggyback that came with the Stage 1 kit.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No issue going to the 7psi with the FVM? I've considered, as I can run very rich at redline so I'm sure there's enough in reserve.

Also, did you notice it? Should be ~15HP.

Quick Reply: SOS Stage 1 Supercharger