S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS w/ 13psi pulley

Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SOS w/ 13psi pulley

Looking for some advice from you guys. I recently installed a SOS kit with a 4.0"/10 psi pulley and dynoed 387hp/245tq. Peak measured boost was about 9.1 psi. My original build thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/930...-install-pics/

The car was dyno'd back in Feb and had removed the belt the minute it was off the dyno. It wasn't until last week that I reinstalled the belt for my trackday at Buttonwillow. The car felt great, pulled strong out of turns; however was slightly disappointed on what 387 whp felt like. I could use more midrange torque, to pull away quicker mid shifts. Overall the engine pulled strong, but not quite fast.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 3.6" pulley, which claims 13 psi. My motor is stock with 104k miles. I could use the extra boost in the mid rpms; don't care so much about the top end.

My current setup:
MY06, stock motor 103k miles
Novi 1200 w/upgraded heat exchanger
ID1000 injectors w/Aeromotive A1000 pump
PuddyMod build differential
ACT HDPP with stock disc
Oil cooler

If I choose to go w/the 13 psi pulley I plan on running VP 100 octane fuel. My tuner is awesome (Shad @ Driving Ambition) and can probably get me the torque I need. My main concern is engine reliability @ the track with increased boost. To note, I only install the belt when doing trackdays; otherwise it's off during daily driving. On the track, I spent most of my time in the 6-8k RPM range all day.

So...do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? Will I gain enough torque under the curve by upgrading from a 10 psi to 13 psi pulley?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id switch to the 13psi just because obviously the main gain you'll get would be uptop but hey it's not gunna be an insane gain and you could still run pump if you desired. With an upgraded oil cooler you should be absolutely fine, since you track I be running an upgraded radiator with fans perhaps. All it is, is a pulley and tune Id deffinately do it to gain the extra power but that's just me. What's with the crazy badass fuel pump though lol a aero 340 woulda been plenty. You shouldn't be upset those are very good number for 10 psi I'd actually be quite happy with em. You'll probably sit somewhere around 430ish whp at 13 psi
-Chris
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it strange that you don't run the blower all the time. Whats the point of taking the belt off for the streets? Nice fuel setup though, you got enough for 600hp there. As far as the midrange, your never gonna have huge midrange on that type of blower. The faster you spin it the better it will be, buts its always gonna be a topend monster. If your gonna run 100 racegas I would go up to like 16-18 psi. That will pick up the torque considerably in the midrange. Reliabiliy is definately gonna be an issue I would think though. Doubling the power will certainly decrease the life of the engine and transmission without a doubt. I would make sure your using the very best lubricants and change them often as well. I am desperate to track my turbo car, but the fear of driveline destruction has kept me away thus far. With a conservative track oriented tune and careful maintainence it may live a long time at 13psi, but I would start my built motor fund now. Your already over the 100k hump so its seen its share of abuse already. You never know though, could last another hundred. Track on.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome numbers this is going to be my set-up but with a aeromotive 340
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Why would you take the belt off for the street??
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Why would you take the belt off for the street??

X3

Lol
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have bought a turbo setup if you want full boost numbers at 5k.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I remove the belt on the street to gain longevity on the blower. Since you almost never hit boost on the street (unless you're on it); I found the extra power unnecessary. The main reason I went with the blower was for the track; honestly I don't need 400whp daily driving to work and to the grocery store. Almost everyone I talk to asks the same question; why remove the belt? Maybe I'm just weird

For the midrange I'm looking for, turbo would've probably suited me better. I just like the linear power output from the blower and the simplicity of the whole setup.

I'm leaning towards making the plunge with the 13psi pulley. I'll post results here when/if that happens. In the meantime, any additional input would be great. I'm just afraid after all is said & done, I may still be disappointed with the results.

As a parallel effort, I'm starting to save up for the new viper
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say run a 3" pulley for that fuel. I wouldn't pay for a retune for only for 3psi and small gains. Have you considered e85 to allow for more aggressive timing? Probably need to bring 48+ gallons to the track though, LOL.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

What about running a much higher boost pulley and a boost limiter valve to gain a lot more midrange.

Quick Reply: SOS w/ 13psi pulley