S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Stage 1 CT or SOS SC

Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stage 1 CT or SOS SC

Hey all,

I know this has been talked about in the past, but it appears that all the previous post are at least 5 years old. So I'm looking for opinions on my personal needs and changes that have happened with these kits in the better half of a decade. In the future I would like to go with a stage 1 kit and avoid a stand alone engine management system due to cost and issues passing emissions. Although I may opt for the stand alone in the future if I want more power. At what WHP levels is the differential in danger? It would likely be a few years before I would upgrade if ever. So it appears that the SOS kit is easier to upgrade and allows for Vtec engagement to be lowered to ~4500 RPM. Does the CT kit lower Vtec engagement? It appears that most CT owners have had great reliability with their kits, is the same true with the SOS set up? FYI I have a 2001 with ACT PP, ARP bolts, upgraded banjo bolts, and AP2 retainers.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos
Hey all,

I know this has been talked about in the past, but it appears that all the previous post are at least 5 years old. So I'm looking for opinions on my personal needs and changes that have happened with these kits in the better half of a decade. In the future I would like to go with a stage 1 kit and avoid a stand alone engine management system due to cost and issues passing emissions. Although I may opt for the stand alone in the future if I want more power. At what WHP levels is the differential in danger? It would likely be a few years before I would upgrade if ever. So it appears that the SOS kit is easier to upgrade and allows for Vtec engagement to be lowered to ~4500 RPM. Does the CT kit lower Vtec engagement? It appears that most CT owners have had great reliability with their kits, is the same true with the SOS set up? FYI I have a 2001 with ACT PP, ARP bolts, upgraded banjo bolts, and AP2 retainers.
doesn't the SOS kit require an EMU? CT can be used without an EMU, but won't make as much power -obviously until you tune it with an EMU and some upgrades.

SOS and CT kits aren't very hard to install/remove. If you upgrade anything on the CT kit, the chances of passing smog is slimmer, but still do-able. Your call if you want that CARB showing or make more power out of the box.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
doesn't the SOS kit require an EMU? CT can be used without an EMU, but won't make as much power -obviously until you tune it with an EMU and some upgrades.

SOS and CT kits aren't very hard to install/remove. If you upgrade anything on the CT kit, the chances of passing smog is slimmer, but still do-able. Your call if you want that CARB showing or make more power out of the box.
I just called SOS and the stage 1 kit doesn't require a EMS and comes with a piggyback system. Still looking for reccomendations.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos
I just called SOS and the stage 1 kit doesn't require a EMS and comes with a piggyback system. Still looking for reccomendations.
well the question is simple: do you care about smog or not lol.
in the end, you're going to make more power regardless
Old 06-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
well the question is simple: do you care about smog or not lol.
in the end, you're going to make more power regardless
I care about passing emissions, but I'm not in CA and never have plan of living their.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question to you is simple, how much power to the wheels do you want?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

CT and SOS with NOVI1200 will offer similar power levels.

Having SMOG legal and carb approved kit is a huge plus, so that's a pro for CT-Engineering kit.

SOS' pro is that their aftercooler is supposedly more efficient (who knows if that's true), but I like the sound of lower AITs.

I'd be torn too.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id personally go SoS if I had to do it over again. CT DOESNT like money, wont speak to anyone outside an authorized dealer and can take MONTHS to make a part of fab a kit together where as SoS can have whatever you need in the mail that very day.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Chitoki
Id personally go SoS if I had to do it over again. CT DOESNT like money, wont speak to anyone outside an authorized dealer and can take MONTHS to make a part of fab a kit together where as SoS can have whatever you need in the mail that very day.
This. They'll sell you anything you need, from a nut and bolt, to a new mounting plate. Customer service is incredible
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

Not even a questions, SOS all day long! Amazing kit, awesome customer service. You get what you pay for these days remember that.
You can get there stage 1 kit, and get the plug and play map, runs 6 psi and makes 300hp on 93oct. If you want more, go Kpro, EMS, or infinity.