S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Starting my first turbo build on a AP1.5

Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting my first turbo build on a AP1.5

Hello everyone

After much frustration with a failed rebuilt engine in my newly purchased 2000 NFR S2000, I personally swapped in a 2005 AP2 engine that had perfect 270 compressions across the board. At this point, I opted to go for a stage 2 clutch/pressure plate and Megan Racing motor mounts and transmission mounts. I also have a set of Tein coilovers to put on the car. After running the car for a couple trouble free months, I am ready to take it to turbo. I have a set of 255's on 17s in the rear and 225 Potenza tires in the front to hold the power.

The shop I have been working with so far is Dynosty racing of Louisville KY, which I plan on only having them tune the car and do the entire install myself. if anyone knows of a better tuner in the area, I am open ears to all suggestions but they have put out some very, very high horsepower turbo S2000's

Parts I've gathered so far:
AEM V1
Turbonetics T3/T04b. Would like to upgrade to a better turbo.
Lovefab GT2 Ceramic coated manifold and downpipe
ID1000 injectors
Tanabe Concept G exhaust
Bosch 255 Fuel pump
Tial 44mm wastegate
Emusa intercooler

I am aiming for somewhere in the lower 400WHP range, nothing too crazy just a relatively reliable turbo build to keep the stock engine healthy in the long run. Any parts I should add or replace, and opinions greatly appreciated! thank you!

Last edited by Mitchelperkins; 11-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about a Full-Race kit?

If I'm not mistaken you can get the 3067R as part of their kit, and I got an email from them about "everything" being on sale.

Looking forward to seeing the build though, hoping to go the same route in about a year or so!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by f20craig
Just out of curiosity, have you thought about a Full-Race kit?

If I'm not mistaken you can get the 3067R as part of their kit, and I got an email from them about "everything" being on sale.

Looking forward to seeing the build though, hoping to go the same route in about a year or so!
I got all these parts very cheap from a guy on here that lost interest on his build, mostly due to the turbo that he originally sold me was a cheap Turbonetics T3/T04b that had bent turbine blades and definitely needed a rebuild, so I opted to just buy a brand new Garrett GT3076R from a friend who never installed it. I am going to be in for about ~$2000 minus tune on this build all said and done. seems pretty reasonable for the power..
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion,

You'll want to do the following:

Swap the AEM V1 for Kpro, possibly depending on your tuner's comfort. the Kpro will start better each time, every time, + you'll still have OBD2 to easily diagnose smaller problems.

Upgrade the compressor wheel on the GT3076R to the GTX compressor wheel, it'll spool faster and be more efficient. What size exhaust housing are you going with?

ID1000s are good, if you plan on using E85, you'll need something slightly bigger or staged injection.

Scrap the exhaust, you'll want a 3" from turbo back. A good option is going custom 3" turbo back, mated to stock mufflers, i've done it, only lost a few ponies, but it's quiet.

For Fuel pump, you may want something slightly higher flowing, and perhaps E85 friendly.

Wastegate: fine choice

Lastly: manage the heat well! I'm running full race's T3 prostreet, the engine bay gets quite toasty. Use lots of DEI products lol.

Consider V-Mount if you intend on tracking the car.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like most people will get id1000s. I did but I wished I had Five-0 1600 injectors or maybe 2200 for e85 and Max out the gt3076 I heard it'll run fine on 91 it all depends on the tune. 600whp? Oh well I'm happy with 425whp on e85 and 388whp on 91 at 12psi
Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by XtC-604
In my opinion,

You'll want to do the following:

Swap the AEM V1 for Kpro, possibly depending on your tuner's comfort. the Kpro will start better each time, every time, + you'll still have OBD2 to easily diagnose smaller problems.

Upgrade the compressor wheel on the GT3076R to the GTX compressor wheel, it'll spool faster and be more efficient. What size exhaust housing are you going with?

ID1000s are good, if you plan on using E85, you'll need something slightly bigger or staged injection.

Scrap the exhaust, you'll want a 3" from turbo back. A good option is going custom 3" turbo back, mated to stock mufflers, i've done it, only lost a few ponies, but it's quiet.

For Fuel pump, you may want something slightly higher flowing, and perhaps E85 friendly.

Wastegate: fine choice

Lastly: manage the heat well! I'm running full race's T3 prostreet, the engine bay gets quite toasty. Use lots of DEI products lol.

Consider V-Mount if you intend on tracking the car.
Appreciate your feedback, do you have any opinions on Haltech? My tuner definitely pushed hard for them, but I have heard much more about AEM/kpro on these forums over Haltech. And sadly, the deal on the Garrett GT3076R fell through because, it appears a longtime member on here was trying to sell me an "authentic 100% real Garrett turbo" that doesnt even have Garrett stamped on the turbine housing! Really disappointing, but not a surprise as the price seemed too good to be true. Just check out the marketplace and go to the turbo listing in LA! I do have another turbo laying around, though, but I was hoping to find a nicer one to use instead. It is a true, not an ebay knockoff, Turbonetics T3/T04b. My tuner told me the turbo was junk and recommended me a Precision 6262 or high end Garrett of the likes, and I am not the kind of guy to purposely throw junk on my car so getting a second opinion would be great.
Thanks!

Last edited by Mitchelperkins; 11-12-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What parts do you actually have? I see it says parts build sheet. Coming from someone who has been piecing together a kit save your money and buy a complete kit like ptuning. Also go with what your tuner is most comfortable with.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
What parts do you actually have? I see it says parts build sheet. Coming from someone who has been piecing together a kit save your money and buy a complete kit like ptuning. Also go with what your tuner is most comfortable with.
i have everything listed plus a good bit more already, piping hose fittings oil relocation battery relocation you name it. The manifold is miles ahead of any of the assembly line trash that comes in most kits, Lovefab really made something special with the GT1/2. The only component I dont have is a Garrett turbo, I have a lowly Turbonetics instead. It looks like it is going to need a rebuild, and possibly a new compressor wheel and housing because i can see some scratching where the wheel was hitting the housing, this is what made me feel like rebuilding the poor guy wasn't worth my money.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a Haltech platinum pro plugin if you want volumetric efficiency tuning. Already has the sensors you'd want for a build all setup including oil temp/pressure and a LC2 wideband. MAP sensor build into box. Selling my car so its for sale.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/member-s...nsors-1179386/
Old 11-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchelperkins
i have everything listed plus a good bit more already, piping hose fittings oil relocation battery relocation you name it. The manifold is miles ahead of any of the assembly line trash that comes in most kits, Lovefab really made something special with the GT1/2. The only component I dont have is a Garrett turbo, I have a lowly Turbonetics instead. It looks like it is going to need a rebuild, and possibly a new compressor wheel and housing because i can see some scratching where the wheel was hitting the housing, this is what made me feel like rebuilding the poor guy wasn't worth my money.
Where / who did you get the manifold from? Can i see a picture of it? It sounds like my old manifold. I have some advice for you going forth with your build. (just looking out so i can say you some grief) I didnt see any cooling system upgrades on your list either. 1) cooling system as well as 2) relocating battery and fuse box + 3) heat shielding everything

Quick Reply: Starting my first turbo build on a AP1.5