S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076

Old 08-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076

So I think I found my turbo leak.

Turbocharger in question is the Garrett GTX 3076R with a Tial sport turbine housing

I removed the turbo form the car today and found that the turbine housing can "EASILY" be clocked (there is also in and out play too).........For sure I thought that the turbine housing bolts came loose, but that was not the case. I checked every bolt and they all seemed to be torqued down "tight".

As I was looking around I noticed that there is a snap ring installed between the Compressor housing and the CHRA.

Is there also supposed to be a snap ring installed between the Turbine housing and the CHRA?

I had my turbo rebuilt about a year ago so I am wondering if they forgot to install the snap ring or something else?

Thanks

[attachment=98507:Turbine Housing.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076-turbine-housing.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

i dont know about the tial hosuing but for a normally gtx3076r garrett housing there is no snap ring. You just loosen the bold and you can clock the turbine housing. You tighten the bolts down to lock the housing and stop it from turning.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM

thanks riceball.

Is there supposed to be a gasket between the turbine housing and chra?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedbird
thanks riceball.

Is there supposed to be a gasket between the turbine housing and chra?

No there is no gasket. And I'm 90% sure there is no snap ring for tial turbine housings
Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No snap ring. The bolts apply pressure to the brackets holding it against the CHRA. If they are tight you should not be able to rotate the turbine housing relative to the CHRA. There are no gaskets on the turbine housing. The only gasket is on the compressor cover which is an O-Ring. Maybe you have the wrong brackets? Can you identify the code on the turbine housing to make sure it is the right one as well.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Back in the day (2008ish is when I learned of the issue), Tials had the issue of the bolts stretching therefore losing clamp load. So Tial changed their bolt material from stainless steel to inconel to solve the issue. Maybe it's still not enough sometimes?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, there is not supposed to be a snap ring between the compressor housing and the CHRA. I see the locking tabs are not locked. I am assuming you did that to take it apart? (I hope)

You also have the old style Tial retaining tabs. They have since changed the design to a 2-piece half moon tabs.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Tial vband housing has a t-bolt clamp holding it to the center section... No gasket
Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by hybrdthry911
No snap ring. The bolts apply pressure to the brackets holding it against the CHRA. If they are tight you should not be able to rotate the turbine housing relative to the CHRA. There are no gaskets on the turbine housing. The only gasket is on the compressor cover which is an O-Ring. Maybe you have the wrong brackets? Can you identify the code on the turbine housing to make sure it is the right one as well.
Maybe I do have the wrong brackets how can I tell? I'll include pics of the turbine housing with identifying codes below.

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Back in the day (2008ish is when I learned of the issue), Tials had the issue of the bolts stretching therefore losing clamp load. So Tial changed their bolt material from stainless steel to inconel to solve the issue. Maybe it's still not enough sometimes?
This turbo came with the PTuning kit that I purchased in 2010. In the pics below you can see that all of the 3 brackets holding the CHRA to the turbine housing are flush against the turbine housing.

Originally Posted by copafeel87
No, there is not supposed to be a snap ring between the compressor housing and the CHRA. I see the locking tabs are not locked. I am assuming you did that to take it apart? (I hope)

You also have the old style Tial retaining tabs. They have since changed the design to a 2-piece half moon tabs.
I have pried the locking tabs out to check the tightness of the bolts (and they are all tight). Thanks for the info on the updated tabs, I will use these next time.

Pics showing that brackets are flush against the turbine housing. Also pic showing where the turbine blades were hitting the housing. When rebuilding the turbo is the turbing housing salvageable? Or do I need to buy a new one?

[attachment=98533:IMG_3632.JPG]

[attachment=98534:IMG_3633.JPG]

[attachment=98535:IMG_3635.JPG]

[attachment=98536:IMG_3636.JPG]

Thanks everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076-img_3632.jpg   Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076-img_3633.jpg   Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076-img_3635.jpg   Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076-img_3636.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM

I just realized that I sent the actual size of the pics......I can send them smaller if needed.

Should I rebuild

or

upgrade to GTX 3576?

or

upgrade to GTX 3582?

End goals down the road are 600HP but I don't want to have my current turbo as a paper weight either

Quick Reply: Is there supposed to be a snap ring bet. CHRA & turbine housing Garrett GTX 3076