S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOO!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOO!

I need your help fellow S lovers so please read on and lets stick it to mumm-ra

Okay, so here is the basics...

I am doing an engine swap, putting in a fully built f20c engine into my ap1 with hopes to boost in the future...
issue is this engine/trans has a stage 5 competition clutch set up

I had on my previous s a stage 4 and got very comfortable with it but I enjoy the play and feel of stock!!!

in my arsenal
stage 5 comp clutch kit
2 oem pressure plates
1 act street sprung clutch ACT-3000106
2 oem one has life left other showing wear...

All that being said if i have to i will keep the stage 5 but...

Can I put in an act street sprung clutch with oem pressure plate and competitions light weight fly wheel?
Can i mix and match comps hd pp from the 5 kit with acts full face clutch and comps light weight fly wheel?
Should I use oem fly wheel with comps 4 puck stage 5 disk and light weight flywheel?

WHAT SHOULD I DO????

From my understanding it is the pressure plate that determines the harshness of the clutch/ drivetrain engagement and not the actual clutch plate itself; so better to keep the stock pressure plate and use either clutch for longevity given my goals or visa versa?

Please educate me and share with me what your reasoning for doing what you think I should do.
Thanks so much for your help!!!

-Adam

Snarf!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You have it backwards, its the Pressure plate is what determines the holding capacity. You can miss and match to offer best of both worlds in a sense, to a point. The OEM friction disc has the best feel obviously since its comes on the car stock, many use it coupled with the ACT PP to get 350-380 trq holding but with better manners then the disc they offer. I have found the same results to be true with the SOS sport clutch. Their friction disc seems to chatter a bit and I found it were very fast leaving hot spotting on flywheel so I decided to swap in the OEM disk and its feels like stock. The Friction disk has really little bearing on anything but engagement manners, based on what the material is used to supply the friction, being a single disk or puck has some bearing as well. I don't know enough about your specific clutch to know what may be reliable to do. But hopefully this information I provided helps you determine that.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM

what i gather is that the pressure plate is what determines the holding capacity meaning that it is what determines the harsh engagement of the letting out the clutch; however, the smoothness of that engagement is determined by the actual disk?

What would be the effect of a
1) oem pressure plate with stage 5 (4 puck disk)
2) stage 5 pressure plate with oem disk
3) oem pressure plate with act street full faced disk
4) stage 5 pressure plate with act full faced disk

**all 4 set ups with include competition clutch lightweight flywheel

this car is meant to be used as a dd that will be capable of more power but no more then 400 and will not be abused excessively (driven like it was stolen)

My goal is a beefier set up then stock able to take the abuse if so chose but maintain a level of reliability and comfort without the necessary implement of skill to compensate for the stage 5 set up.....

in attempt to try and answer my own questions
2 & 4 would be very aggressive in actuating... grab very hard and quick but feel like oem due to swapping 4 puck disk
1 & 3 would be less aggressive in engagement... grab like oem but be less smooth as disk is still not oem

and thanks for your answer i really appreciate it I've had many viewers and only you to respond so hopefully more fellowship of the s members can give some insight

thanks again

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You have it backwards, its the Pressure plate is what determines the holding capacity. You can miss and match to offer best of both worlds in a sense, to a point. The OEM friction disc has the best feel obviously since its comes on the car stock, many use it coupled with the ACT PP to get 350-380 trq holding but with better manners then the disc they offer. I have found the same results to be true with the SOS sport clutch. Their friction disc seems to chatter a bit and I found it were very fast leaving hot spotting on flywheel so I decided to swap in the OEM disk and its feels like stock. The Friction disk has really little bearing on anything but engagement manners, based on what the material is used to supply the friction, being a single disk or puck has some bearing as well. I don't know enough about your specific clutch to know what may be reliable to do. But hopefully this information I provided helps you determine that.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Snarf!! Snarf!!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Aturner87
what i gather is that the pressure plate is what determines the holding capacity meaning that it is what determines the harsh engagement of the letting out the clutch; however, the smoothness of that engagement is determined by the actual disk?
Yes, you are understanding correctly.

It sounds like for you power level, any stage above stock will suite your needs, especially with a light weight flywheel, as they will exacerbate poor clutch manners, but also reduce the duty of the clutch because of the lighter spinning inertia, so this reduces your needs for a beefier clutch and desire to want one, both. SOS sport Clutch, Stage 2 or 3 CC. Act PP/Oem disk etc. All good options, however the Act being the beefiest of those I stated, it will hold up to 380trq in that config and makes for a stiffer then stock clutch pedal. There is no need for you to do a stage 5 anything, or puck style clutch at under 550whp/400trq.