S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo setup on paper, advice?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

That's a long ass post, So im just going to touch on a couple points.

Don't even think about using the stock clutch. ACT or better is required.

If you actually successfully get an entire turbo kit together for $3k I guarantee you will be pissing in the wind. You could do SC for a bit more. but any reliable turbo kit that is even halfway decent is going to run you ~$8k all in.

Be weary of knock-off ID1000s. Best you will find even a used set is $300. If you find a "new" set for $120...its knock-off. ID2000s will not have good idle. In my experience 1300s are the largest you can go and still have stock-like idle characteristics...they are pricey though.

Lastly, If you do go turbo, it is a LOT of headaches to get the kinks worked out...i mean a LOT. Unless you are very mechanically inclined I would recommend you go SC and save your nerves.

This is coming from a guy who pieced a sheepy kit together himself. Im at 508hp on E85

As another guy staded, Nitrous is where its at! Power when you want it and its fun as hell. Nitrous is no more dangerous than a turbo or SC car, it's ALL in the tune. If you want power on a budget, nitrous hands down.

Last edited by Charper732; 08-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charper732
That's a long ass post, So im just going to touch on a couple points.

Don't even think about using the stock clutch. ACT or better is required.

If you actually successfully get an entire turbo kit together for $3k I guarantee you will be pissing in the wind. You could do SC for a bit more. but any reliable turbo kit that is even halfway decent is going to run you ~$8k all in.

Be weary of knock-off ID1000s. Best you will find even a used set is $300. If you find a "new" set for $120...its knock-off. ID2000s will not have good idle. In my experience 1300s are the largest you can go and still have stock-like idle characteristics...they are pricey though.

Lastly, If you do go turbo, it is a LOT of headaches to get the kinks worked out...i mean a LOT. Unless you are very mechanically inclined I would recommend you go SC and save your nerves.

This is coming from a guy who pieced a sheepy kit together himself. Im at 508hp on E85

As another guy staded, Nitrous is where its at! Power when you want it and its fun as hell. Nitrous is no more dangerous than a turbo or SC car, it's ALL in the tune. If you want power on a budget, nitrous hands down.
It's definitely lengthy for good reason! Why not use the stock clutch? I read through a long thread with numerous people saying they used all stock parts, aside from the boost itself, going all the way up to 500 hp before running into problems. Basically the thread concluded that the stock motor and tranny can handle up to 400-450 hp without failing. This is sketchy, of course, since that's doubling the power from the factory, but if I'm only going up to 300-350 hp don't you think I should be fine if others are going 100 hp above me?

I meant the ID's are $120 OFF, so they're $360 rather than $480.

I'm usually a good worker and I like to get everything perfect, so I don't think getting my turbo tuned in just right won't be a major issue for me, aside from extra costs associated with replacing parts I expected to fit, but I'm already accounting for that.

Can nitrous increase power by 30%? If so, how much would that cost? I guess I'll be researching that now, but any info up-front would be very beneficial so I know what to research!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My stock clutch was slipping at 320whp. If you go turbo for the love of god do a clutch swap first Lol save yourself. it will get you familiar on the chassis and its actually one of the more technical jobs of it all. Hell I doubt it will hold 300whp for long. maybe a brand new one but golly I would not go down the road of uncertainty or it starting to slip at the worst time or on the dyno (waste of time for you and the tuner) ...nothing worse.

Well considering what your saying YES its pretty amazing these cars and the certain PARTS you dont need to swap for this much power does so well, but a stock clutch is usually know where near that list.

considering the S2k roughly does 205-210whp baseline and depending on a lot really and a tune anywhere from 215-220 adding a 150 wetshot would put you north of of 350whp and these days theres plenty of things now on how its entered into the system ie. regulated PWM which would allow an increase of that 150 so its not ALL at once which would be mostly my concern. but at 350 god I doubt you could hurt to much. My old twin scroll WOULD rip through 1-2-3 absolute donkey kong. anywhere between 360whp it debuted on and then around 420whp I picked up with doing pretty much a open waste gate mod. Still picked up north a LOT of trq by 3.5k rpm but kiiinda small potatoes to how nitrous can "hit"

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 08-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 PM

Gotcha. That's weird your clutch doesn't compare to all of those other people. I replaced my clutch (stock) about 18 months ago, so it should be fine for 300 whp, but I'll keep this in mind for future research. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Belkin623
It's definitely lengthy for good reason! Why not use the stock clutch? I read through a long thread with numerous people saying they used all stock parts, aside from the boost itself, going all the way up to 500 hp before running into problems. Basically the thread concluded that the stock motor and tranny can handle up to 400-450 hp without failing. This is sketchy, of course, since that's doubling the power from the factory, but if I'm only going up to 300-350 hp don't you think I should be fine if others are going 100 hp above me?

I meant the ID's are $120 OFF, so they're $360 rather than $480.

I'm usually a good worker and I like to get everything perfect, so I don't think getting my turbo tuned in just right won't be a major issue for me, aside from extra costs associated with replacing parts I expected to fit, but I'm already accounting for that.

Can nitrous increase power by 30%? If so, how much would that cost? I guess I'll be researching that now, but any info up-front would be very beneficial so I know what to research!

Thanks!
I wasn't refering to getting your turbo tuned in. I'm talking a host of random issues you never thought about. Just a couple examples. Issues with turbo oil drain, fuel pump wiring, RANDOM wiring of sensors ect that you'll have, clutch slipping when you find the limits, fuel pump not supplying as much fuel as you thought it would, The PITA that is pie-cutting and making IC piping fit for whatever setup you have. The list can go on and on. There is a reason people say "when you have a number for how much a turbo system will cost, double or triple it"
I dont' know how much the stock clutch can hold as I wasn't dumb enough to even try to use it with boost. I made a ACT clutch slip at 420hp and Im now on a clutch masters FX500 at 508hp

You can run a straight up nitrous wet kit and go up to 75hp without reducing ignition... that means no EMS or piggyback needed. Just a wideband to dial in the fuel jets to keep the AFRs in check. Any more than 75hp and you will need to get a tune to reduce the ignition timing. You can make STUPID power with nitrous...it's fking awesome.

Edit: just to add a LEGIT tune will run you ~$600 for setup of whatever EMS you run + the tune...assuming you don't go flex fuel. for boosted anyway

Last edited by Charper732; 08-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Gotcha. That's weird your clutch doesn't compare to all of those other people. I replaced my clutch (stock) about 18 months ago, so it should be fine for 300 whp, but I'll keep this in mind for future research. Thanks!
clutches are not rated by whp, they are rated by trq
Old 08-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
yes, yes I know. But most people don't have a clue when you say what torque rating all they know is HP numbers. I was at ~300 when my act slipped. the CM-500 is rated for 450
Old 08-03-2017, 05:14 PM

Video just for you.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM

When a mfg. rates there clutches @ hp thats when I turn around Lol. jkjk.... seriously though its hard to find good clutches almost all are chinese and 90% are marketed to what ever # they want to say they feel comfortable at warranting them. GL with that btw Lol.

I was more informing the OP to look for trq values since he's new and hungry for info
Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732
I wasn't refering to getting your turbo tuned in. I'm talking a host of random issues you never thought about. Just a couple examples. Issues with turbo oil drain, fuel pump wiring, RANDOM wiring of sensors ect that you'll have, clutch slipping when you find the limits, fuel pump not supplying as much fuel as you thought it would, The PITA that is pie-cutting and making IC piping fit for whatever setup you have. The list can go on and on. There is a reason people say "when you have a number for how much a turbo system will cost, double or triple it"
I dont' know how much the stock clutch can hold as I wasn't dumb enough to even try to use it with boost. I made a ACT clutch slip at 420hp and Im now on a clutch masters FX500 at 508hp

You can run a straight up nitrous wet kit and go up to 75hp without reducing ignition... that means no EMS or piggyback needed. Just a wideband to dial in the fuel jets to keep the AFRs in check. Any more than 75hp and you will need to get a tune to reduce the ignition timing. You can make STUPID power with nitrous...it's fking awesome.

Edit: just to add a LEGIT tune will run you ~$600 for setup of whatever EMS you run + the tune...assuming you don't go flex fuel. for boosted anyway
I've never heard someone say that, but it makes sense. I figured there would be at least 1k in extra unexpected costs, after getting everything perfect on paper, with a lot of room for error.

You're telling me I can add up to 75 hp with just a nitrous kit and a wideband o2 sensor? If so, any suggestions for specific kits or brands?

I really appreciate the extra info!

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
I know, I just don't remember what people on that thread said their torque was at before the clutch gave way.

Quick Reply: Turbo setup on paper, advice?