S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turboed S2 makin noises and knock sensor code

Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboed S2 makin noises and knock sensor code

Hey i have an 2002 with the rev hard kit at stock boost, it only has about 6,000 turboed miles, and about 30,000 NA miles. Its making a funny ticking noise in the head, akmost sounds like the valves need adjusting but im not sure....and the other day it started throwing knock sensor codes, had the sensor changed and the code removed and it comes back on!!!!!!!!! so......ANY SUGGESTIONS ?!?!?! im thinking of having it sleeved with 8:1 pistons with 15lbs. of boost but im not sure what this ticking noise is tho, the shop i took it to said it was coming from the head because they used a mic thingy or somthin and they said it was coming from the head area.......

Thanx, Brandon
Old 01-13-2005, 10:38 PM

So this just started? If it sounds like the valves need to be adjusted, then do that to eliminate one senario. If you haven't done it yet, then you really should.

How is your a/f?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Sounds like piston slap to me, do a compression and leak-dpwn test.

Could be the classic cylinder 4 issue, I had it!

Kevin
Old 01-14-2005, 04:33 AM

I had it too, but from memmory it was from cylinder 2.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 AM

It amazes me how many people get turbo kits installed on their car and they really know nothing about turbo systems and how they can affect their motor. If you knew anything about motors, you would know that the ticking could likely be a spun bearing or even valve damage. and knock sensor codes could have been caused by detonation. But do you even know what detonation is?

Sad.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by revhard turbo s2,Jan 14 2005, 02:00 AM
...but im not sure what this ticking noise is tho, the shop i took it to said it was coming from the head because they used a mic thingy or somthin and they said it was coming from the head area.......
Check your cam chain auto-tensioner. Others have had a similar issue with this.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 AM

It could be something odd ball like piston slap, that's definitely possible. More likely though is something like a vale out of adjustment, or (more likely still) if it's driven hard, a spun bearing/detonation.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:33 PM

last time I had this was a year ago, when I had the vortech supercharger. It came on after 1 hour of hard driving around and up hte hills at very high speed with semislick tyres. There was no CEL.

We checked everything. It definitely sounded like a bad valve adjustment, just a lot louder. I had hope that is the case and readjusted my valve. Noise did not go away.

We used a stethoscope and had a listen for the origin of the noise. The sounds comes from the bottom end. We suspected that it was a spun bearing too. Cracked the engine open and found the common piston slap problem but in cylinder 2. I adn my mechanic checked the piston damage very thoroughly. I ask 2 independent workshops for opinions. I asked my tuners too. All agree that it was not detonation.

I think my mistake at the time was using a set Halo sparkplug. I did not and still could not check the heat range of this plug. It was recommended by a Honda mechanic. It was used during NA period. The halo plugs worked well with the SC in term of generating power, so I left it there. The spark plug in cyl 2 was loosened. This plug has a ring + 3 legs designed anode. The ring was missing. The tip of the sparkplug was fine and has no sign of detonation. We suspected that the missing ring has caused damaged to the cylinder wall; enough for the piston rings to potentiate this damage leading to piston slap.

Yes. like others have told you, common things happen commonly. Check for other common causes first. However, piston slap is also not uncommon in the NA or FI s2k community.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:42 AM

Thank yopu very much BIG BEN for your educated advice on my car.....You must be the master S2000 man around here it sounds like, I know all of the side affects of putting boost on a stock 11.1 motor and yes i did suspect a spun bearing....and if u would like to talk more shit i will hand u your ass with my check engine lite on. I asked a simple question, that reqired a simple awnser not some rash of shit from a smart ass like you. thanks everyone else for the suggestions. And anyone that is remotly into cars and goin fast knows about timing and detonation and using premium fuel to counteract detonation...blah...blah..blah.

edited by XV for name calling.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 PM

I had HALO plugs in my old Prelude (theyre made here in Hot Springs, AR where I live). After having them on for less than 10k miles I had the same problem, some of the "legs" on the plugs were gone, and all of the plugs were completely useless. According to the mecanic I used, Halos should never be used in Hondas, (not that he couldnt be wrong), but I wont risk it on the S.

Quick Reply: Turboed S2 makin noises and knock sensor code