S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Walbro 416 E85 pump

Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walbro 416 E85 pump

looking at getting this pump so i can tune my car on E85, Question can i just plug this in like my Walbro 255 to the stock wiring. Or do i have to run a relay and wire to the battery? From what i have found i thought i could just plug this in and use the stock hanger with the filter sock that comes with the install kit and be good to go... My tuner said something about having to wire it in when i got my estimate.... anyone one know for sure???

Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 PM

I know the AEM 320 is plug and play I dont see why this one wouldnt be either.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Walbro (E85 specific) pump comes with its own harness (pigtail, actually). It's recommended to run a relay. The Walbro will come with 14 gauge power/ground wires.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

There is no way the tiny factory wireing will be able to properly power this pump. You will need to run a 10 gauge fused power wire from the battery to the back to a relay. You use the factory power wire to trigger the relay. Then You run a 12-14 gauge power wire from the relay into the fuel pump housing directly to the fuel pump. You will have to drill and seal the top of the fuel pump housing. You will need to run special Teflon wire made to be submerged in fuel from the relay to inside the pump housing to prevent fuel wicking. (Fuel traveling up the internals of the wire)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a half step harder than plug and play. I THINK (idr fully. Even tho I just put mine in lol) the wiring harness is sealed in the pump and it comes with two wires hanging out. You just have to solder/attach them to your stock wiring on the hangar and that's it

I had to modify my hangar to accept the pump because it is a bit larger than a 255 (was super easy)

I don't know if you will have to rewire the pump to a relay, but it will help get the most out of the pump.

Again, I have a different car but I am on stock wiring and it's been fine holding fuel pressure until redline. I am going to rewire mine anyway. It seriously takes 20-25 minutes max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 03:48 PM

I am doing this right now (like literally, the walbro 400 and hanger are in my lap in the garage) and I am a little sketched out about drilling holes in top cap of the fuel hanger.

Can I remove the wires from the stock plug and repin it with flying leads that come with the e85 walbro? Or will repining the stock plug with the thicker wires still choke it up too much?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Well the shop wants 480 labor plus 98 for materials. I'm sure I could do it if I can find a DIY or pics. I haven't ordered the pump or install kit yet. I relocated my battery to the trunk so I shouldn't have to run any wires up front correct? Just tap into the factory fuel pump harness? I can't see paying 500 plus the cost of the pump to put it in.

The thing is I need to drive 600 miles to the tuners with the 255 in then have the pump switched there. So I guess the more I can get done now will save me on labor. Going from 93 to E85. Going to see what that Turbo can do d-Bo
Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM

The actual hard part is getting to the fuel pump not the actual putting the pump in. It took me like an hour and a half just to get the stupid thing out between removing plastics and figuring out how to get my arm in there to remove it lol. I probably had 4 hours into doing it(battery was in trunk as well so the rewire was easy)

I had a diagram saved and everything but it was on my old laptop. It'll be the same as a 255 rewire because you're just tapping into the stock harness the same way.

This pump is seriously half as loud, if not even more than the 255

How much more do you have to do with your car to get it finished ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Yeah my trunk is gutted and no soft top try so the pump is easy to get to now. Still have alot to do. Just got the manifold,Turbo,down pipe on to check fitment. Welded a flex joint in the exhaust to take so stress off manifold. Just trying to get everything around so I have it all. Wont be going in for a tune till around March. Just got my estimate from my tuner and thought the fuel pump labor was high. The battery relocation and moving fuse box is what I been working on. Getting there slow but I been working late at work so not alot of time for the car.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugby_Guy
I am doing this right now (like literally, the walbro 400 and hanger are in my lap in the garage) and I am a little sketches out about drinking holes in top cap of the fuel hanger.

Can I remove the wires from the stock plug and repin it with flying leads that come with the e85 walbro? Or will rep inning the stock plug with the thicker wires still choke it up too much?
That is the best way to do it.

Quick Reply: Walbro 416 E85 pump