S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Whipple Supercharger S2000 Kit

Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K
Surely the intake temps will be very high? Now the aftercooler has to cool the engine down too.

Nothing compares to a Turbo with a large air to air front mount and the intoxicating noises it makes.
Dead wrong. On so many levels.

Air-to-water intercoolers are much more effective. At Precision Turbo, all the big HP intercoolers are air-to-water. They also provide the option for refrigeration and/or ice boxes to cool below ambient. Useful for drag racing and maybe time trials were one lap counts. https://www.precisionturbo.net/heat-...iquid-to-air/2. The second water-to-air heat exchanger can be much more efficient.

There is also a much shorter distance from the compressor to the intake port.

You will find that positive displacement superchargers are popular on Miatas and FT86s.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That is an interesting point. Going water to air opens up the interchiller route.There are a lot of domestic guys using those with great success.

Tim

Edit: See here if you've never heard of an interchiller.
https://tbssowners.com/forums/active...erchiller.html

Last edited by timg; 12-18-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added interchiller link.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Given the rpm range and efficiency of the f20/f22, in the past with small turbos like the greddy kit and SOT roots blowers, they delivered a nice bump in the low/mid range where the engine is lacking, but started becoming a choke point when the engine would get into its efficiency range and those systems would have to work overtime to push enough cfm to deliver mediocre peak power at anything much north of 300whp with high IAT and EGT challenges. Again, i'm interested to see where this blower falls into place regarding this. If it can deliver a substantial low/mid range trq curve over a centrifugal while matching a centrifugal on the top end 450+ whp, it will be a winner. I assume that's the goal/motivation for this blower choice, but I haven't seen the compressor maps/know enough about it to know if that's realistic or not. New territory mating to this engine.
You get the same thing with 2 strokes and rotaries - you need a much larger turbo/charger than usual because they flow so much air over a wide rpm range. 's why I put a big M112 on mine, although an M90 would probably match okay too.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM

TTBOMK, there are no Roots supercharger kits for the S2000 currently and the ones that did exist used older supercharger models. Every supercharger/turbocharger compressor has to be sized for the engine speed and pressure ratio...the amount of air fed to the engine.

Similar kits exist for the BRZ/FT86. Sprintex offers their kit with a 1L and 1.5L supercharger. The 4v engine doesn't have VTEC so the cam is milder but overall similar. There are quite a few reviews including at least one owner who upgraded a track day car from the 1L to the 1.5L. Like the Whipple, the Sprintex is a Lysholm twin screw.

My concern here is that the 1.6L may well make over 500hp, but is too big for the <400whp number more likely on stock compression used for track days. With E85, real E85 or C85 or race gas, that may not be an issue. With turbos and E85, there are some guys making over 800hp and based on the engine 4P built for Wiesco, my guess is over 1000hp is possible on C85 or high octane oxygenated race gas.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A 1.6 L/rev supercharger can flow the same as a 1L/rev supercharger depending on how it's geared/pullied. I'd rather have a 1.6 liter operating in the middle of its range rather than a 1 liter at its very limit. Normally, positive displacement superchargers lose efficiency at their very high end and very low end. However, at low pressure ratios like those on the typical car, the losses aren't great and the efficiency curves should be pretty flat. Bearing life also exponentially decreases as speed increases.

Not a Whipple or even a screw compressor, but positive displacement and interesting.
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/Eato...erchargers.pdf

Food for thought.
Whipple uses a 2.9 liter supercharger on the LS2/LS3. A 400 horsepower factory engine. The S2000 is 240 horsepower from the factory. If we assume that airflow = horsepower (this is roughly correct), then a 1.74 liter Whipple would best fit the S2000 (2.9*240/400)...

Also, the ideal gas law applies. Roughly speaking again, doubling pressure = doubling air flow = doubling power.
0.6 bar (g) = 60 kPa(g) = ~9 pig =~384 crank horsepower.
0.8 bar (g) = 80 kPa (g) = ~12 pig = 432 crank horsepower
1 bar (g) = 100 kPa (g) = ~14.5 psig = 480 crank horsepower

Tim
The following users liked this post:
s2000442 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:57 AM

I would work backwards. The mass of the air will be the determining factor in power developed. Give a displacement, engine speed, and volumetric efficiency, you can determine the density necessary to achieve the mass for the desired power output. The density is a function of temperature and pressure.

The pressure and temp will affect the knock sensitivity which is ultimately the limiting factor in most cases. Some times ignition advance is the limiting factor, bending connecting rods when it exceeded.

A 6500rpm 6.2L is pushing a lot more air at the same boost than a 2.1 at 8000rpm. To get the higher numbers on an S2000 the boost has to go up. That in turn requires a fuel with more knock resistance (e.g. E85), lower compression, retarded timing, etc.

Maybe the 1.6L is better for the S2000. It depends how much air is being pushed at what pressure ratio.

I'd like to see the who thing running. My big question is were the air intake is. I've seen setups that route a shaft from the nose of the compressor to the tail where the air intake is. That allows it to be reversed so the air intake is in the front. The S2000 has a lot going on near the back of the intake with the brake and clutch master cylinders, etc. Long circuitous intakes cause pressure drops requiring higher pressure ratios with more heat generated, and intakes behind the radiator and heat exchanger are breathing in hotter than ambient air...reducing density.

There is also the issue of finding a supercharger camshaft set...not the same as normally aspirated and different than a turbo.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Is the intake going to be dakar rally style snorkel out of the hood?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
Is the intake going to be dakar rally style snorkel out of the hood?
Rock 'n Roll bro

Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Any updates on this SC? I made a new thread about it as i didnt see this one so instead of trying to go there i figure i would post here. I'm pretty interested in it especially if it can offer the same high end as most centrifugal SC kits.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
Any updates on this SC? I made a new thread about it as i didnt see this one so instead of trying to go there i figure i would post here. I'm pretty interested in it especially if it can offer the same high end as most centrifugal SC kits.
You follow them on FB yet? This was their most recent post. It seems promising but i don't want tp be their guinea pig.

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger S2000 Kit