S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

White Smoke help SOS super charger

Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default White Smoke help SOS super charger

Hey guys, so my car is puffing white smoke and I am trying to solve it before my next event. Last night I did a compression test and leak down on a warm motor. The car has about 45k miles has a sos super charger pushing 410 and over the past 2 years has been tracked and auto x alot. Trying to figure out the next step I should take in trying to solve this. It is burning oil I am not sure how much since I never logged it. cylinder 3 looks alittle weaker than the others. Cylinder 4 had a darker spark plug. I plan to inspect the retainers tonight. any other things I should be doing next? I am researching now how to inspect retainers and valves since I have not experience with it yet.

compression test

leakdown
cylinder 1
4%

cylinder2
4%

cylinder 3
5%-6%

cylinder 4
4%

picture of the spark plugs: Order goes 4-3-2-1 number 4 looks a bit darker maybe 1000 miles on the plugs

Old 06-10-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White smoke? Are you sure you don't have some coolant getting in somewhere?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When is it puffing white smoke... just at WOT or at idle or when?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
When is it puffing white smoke... just at WOT or at idle or when?
alittle of both.

some times its heavier than other times. If I let it idle than rev it to like 5k it shoots white smoke, or if I vtec it shoots it too. some times at idle is smokes too.

its not all the time
Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my limited experience with boosted cars, every time ive had white smoke, was from a leaky head gasket. Granted you did compression tests and it was fine, but white smoke is usually water burning. Do you notice your coolant needing topped of more often than normal?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Leakdown and comlression look good.

I would inspect the aftercooler unit. If your low on water id remove it and pressure test the water channels. Open the throttle plate and look into the manifold...what do you see?

Intake manifold coolant ports leaking into runner 1 or 4? Could be from loose bolts on the manifold nuts.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yep your leakdown numbers look great, so no point in inspecting valvtrain unless your looking for something to occupy your time for fun. Comp numbers look fine as well. If your burning some oil then could that white smoke actually be oil/more blue? Start logging your oil consumption rate and determine the severity of the amount. But based on your comp/leakdown you appear to have a pretty good motor. Watch your coolant level closely in your radiator reservoir from now on for possible coolant burning. There is a distinct odor of burning coolant as well if you are familiar with it.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 AM

I never saw the smoke my self since I haven't had anyone drive the car, talking to people there were behind me it was ("blueish/white") and I did run very low on oil during the last cruise night figure about 1k miles very hard driving I was low a full quart or better (my catch can was also full to the top tho so its hard to tell if it was burnt or blow by). I am going to put everything back together today send a oil test to black stone and do an oil change with brad penn 5w30. From what I remember I never ran low on coolant, I dont see any oil in the coolant, but my oil is very dark for such low miles

cliffs
Smoke is bluish white
no apparent oil in the coolant
last time I drove 1k HARD miles I was 1 1/2 quarts low (my catch can was filled to the top also)
Oil is very dark for low miles basically black with about 500 miles on it
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well blue/white would certainly indicate oil burning vs white. Like junky said, you can smell coolant, has kind of a sweet smell. If you lost 1.5 quarts in 1000 miles, that is considerable loss...depending on how large your catch can is...could be that a majority is going there?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by starrman
Well blue/white would certainly indicate oil burning vs white. Like junky said, you can smell coolant, has kind of a sweet smell. If you lost 1.5 quarts in 1000 miles, that is considerable loss...depending on how large your catch can is...could be that a majority is going there?
It could be blow by oil since my catch can was filled to the top and I could have been sucking it up from the pcv

catch can is a 1/2 quart at most. What should I be checking next if I am burning oil?

Quick Reply: White Smoke help SOS super charger