The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

DIY illuminated windscreen

Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY illuminated windscreen

Hey guys. I'm going to do a few DIYs over the next few weeks.... here's the first which just uses parts anyone can buy at Autozone of any other auto parts store. The outcome is to have an illuminated design in the stock windscreen and have it bright and clear! The only tool used was a rotary tool with cutting disc, sanding bit, and drill bit cutter. Here are pics with further detail....

PIcs 1&2: The 10" LED Strip from Autozone. Any LED could be used; however, because of its form factor and its brightness this was chosen.

Pic3: The plexi windscreen after a bit of Dremel-ing. I used painters tape to identify where the edge of the plastic trim was at and used a cutting wheel/ sanding bit to modify the piece of plexi. Even though I removed the middle screw and some holes trim passes through no worries. Everyting works great and the plexi holds firm.

Pic 4/5/6: This is more detailed pics of the plastic trim that holds the plexi in place and mounts to the secret "shhhhhhh" compartment. In pic 4 the piece on top is the piece facing to the front of the car, and the bottom is tha back piece. Really all I did was mount the modified plexi back into the pieces and then used a cutting drill bit to cut away the supporting ridges so that the LED strip has a place to sit.

Remaining Pics: A couple of pics now with the LED strip illuminated without and with the "top" plastic trim in place. The only step left is to actually engrave the design into the plexi and to center the LED strip. Note if you use a longer LED strip you achieve 100% coverage; however, I don't believe in my case this is necessary. I will be following up this post with another method after I can buy another windscreen, so stay posted. I think this is going to look great though!!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/i...ed-pre-design/

Once I clean the plexi of all the fingerprints and whatnot I think the illumination will actually appear very linear across the screen. I'll add to this post tomorrow after I get a chance to draw over the frames with exactly what and where were modified. When a bit more legible I'll post in the DIY section. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments... they are super welcome! Have a good night everyone! -=(Schurman OUT!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.... don't know what happened to this album. The pics are all broken. I'll fix when I get home tonight.