The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

A retiree's mods

Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A retiree's mods

I thought this might be fun. The Gallery is virtually universally populated with young owners showing their rides. So here I'm providing a description of what I, now having achieved my sixth decade, have done with what I refer to as my "retirement sled."

To be fair I will grant that mods are more a reflection of personality than age. Still each generation has their own commonalities. Enough with the rationalizations! Here's how my MY03 bought new is currently configured:

Engine bay:
-- Sprint competition air filter
-- DIY "gutted" and insulated air box
-- DIY passenger side fenderwell plumbed intake to air box
-- AUT Design cooling plate (sebring silver paint over carbon fiber by ImportTuningGarage)
-- DIY modified radmat under AUT intake horn
-- Greddy Type N 1.3kg/cm3 high pressure radiator cap
-- Engine bay cowl seal removed
-- Greddy Super-Light 15mm 1000cc oil catch tank
-- Hella twin Supertone #85115 horns (375Hz & 500Hz)
-- Swann battery disconnector
-- Custom aluminum billet oil cap
-- APC red billet battery tie down
-- JTKPro red powdercoated Fuel Rail Cover
-- Vision Motorworks red billet VTEC solenoid cover
-- NRG HD-140 1/2 pressure polished silver/chrome hood dampers
-- Polished aluminum bar shock tower brace
-- Password: JDM brake & clutch fluid reservoir tank covers

The AUT was added to clean up the bailing wire and bubble gum look that I had with my DIY tn2p style mini-radmat shown here. It also replaced the Coastal Metals air director I had been using.

The Sprint filter was a reusable high quality piece offered here on the forums. It continues to serve me well. I've been very pleased with the DIY airbox mods too but will admit that although the AUT cleaned up the look it also decreased the pleasing loud growl noise level the intake had provided. That has me now looking at aftermarket exhausts or at a minimum removing the resonator from the stock system. Addendum: went with a Skunk2 Racing dual catback exhaust system

The horns are LOUD which is why I installed them. With the car's low profile I find it reassuring to be able to blast idiots who fail to look before they start to move. There's a thread I authored giving step by step installation guidance here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192673

Interior:
-- Knobmeiser VS (1.8" diameter) polyurethane finished lead weighted /mahogany shift knob with laser engraved S2K shift pattern, 3.25 oz (~92g)
-- Rick's formula red "S" on berlina black Steering wheel emblem
-- Modifry glove box organizer
-- OEM seat satchel
-- Winplus Type S Sportex faux leather red/black seat belt shoulder pads (SB00970-60/6)
-- DIY Visor airbag warning label black covers
-- Lowe Alpine Waistbelt Bottle Pocket

The Team Voodoo knob I grew to love when fitted to my '96 MX-5. It was the first mod I made to my S2K after purchase. I've now replaced it with a great mahogany knob from The Knobmeister (more on later pages of this thread). There's not much I can add to what has already been said about the Modifry organizer. It simply is a "must have" for this car.

Exterior:
-- Coastal Metal lip protector
-- Coastal Metal front grill
-- Dynashield headlight lens protectors
-- Adelaide Automotive sebring silver keycaps
-- MUZ JDM Convex driver's side mirror
-- Classic Carrier black luggage rack w/black leather straps
-- Rick's front license bracket
-- Vinyl "S2000" on windblocker screen
-- MilitaryBest Retired Navy license frame

I'll echo here what many others have advocated and that's installing the JDM wide angle convex driver's side mirror. It eliminates blind spots. And for me, when carrying luggage on the rack where the rearview mirror is useless, it becomes essential for safety.

The Lip Protector has saved my bacon on many occasions. Nothing more need be said

The keycaps are something I just added. They nicely clean up the lines of the car and I have no real excuse as to why it took me almost 5 years to get around to adding them.

Suspension/wheels:
-- MUZ Whiteline front swaybar #BHF48 (30mm solid 50% stiffer than stock 26.5mm)
-- Rick's berlina black "S" on sebring silver rim center caps
-- Black anodized aluminum TR413 valve stems
-- OEM AP1 MY01 16" rims painted with graphite pearl Dupli-Color leaving lips silver
-- Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 F205/55ZR16 R245/45ZR16

The Whiteline front swaybar provides a tad more securely planted feeling to the rear end when near the limits and as such is an acquisition decision I've never regretted. The used AP1 wheels I customized this past winter was a fun project that I undertook simply because of the paucity now of really nice properly offset aftermarket 16" wheels. I'm well pleased with the DIY results, which also reflect Rick's hub badges and black anodized aluminum valve stems.

The Hankooks are proving to be an excellent substitution for the Bridgestone S02s that simply weren't giving me the wet weather performance I need to feel safe on road trips.

There are always other odds and end we gather for our cars and I'm no exception.
Misc:
-- Softbond Noah car cover w/cable and lock
-- Bosch Icon 416A/420B wiper blades
-- Intercomp 3.5" Deluxe Glow 0-60 psi tire gauge
-- OEM touch up paint color code NH552MAH
-- Chip-Mender touch up paint pen
-- Remote-Tote
-- Alwyn men's driving gloves (black pittard leather with red fourchettes, sz 8.5)
-- Synergy Design Group TurboFlare-360 emergency strobe light
-- Becker BK-3 Tac-Tool (7"x.230" 0170-6C high carbon steel edged tool with GV6H ergo handles)

The gloves were pictured in one of Rick's Accessory ads back in 2003-2004. I really liked the black and red look plus the thin aerated leather so I bought a pair from England. They have proved to be extremely comfortable especially on long drives. They're shown in the cockpit picture earlier in this post and here:

A rather unusual item I like is the battery powered emergency strobe called the Turbo-Flare 360.

I much prefer it to standard flares.

The leather Remote-Tote too is one of those oh-by-the-way things that simply makes carrying our car's remote so much nicer. (aka leather remote holder at handa-accessories.)

And for folks with poor eyesight the large dial and glow-in-the-dark features of the well calibrated racing heritage Intercomp tire gauge is indespensible.

The 3.5" is no longer offered having been replaced by a 4" model series. They're great!

The Tac-Tool is something many police departments equip their patrol cars with. I have one in each of my cars. If you want to know more I urge you to simply search the Net.

One last area I'll touch on. I learned and am still learning from the good folks in the S2000 community. Guys like RoadRage (Glenn) and xViper (Dave), to name but two icons, have been invaluable sources over the years. Anyhow here's a list of my preferred maintenance stuff and detailing supplies:
-- Eng: Lubrication Engineers LE8130 synthetic (7.5k change) / Havoline or Motorcraft GF4 spec 5W30 dino oil (3 to 5k change)
-- OEM 15400-PCX-004 or Hamp (Honda) H1540-PLC-004 oil filter
-- Tranny: Redline MT90/MTL 50/50 mix or GM (or Pennzoil) Synchromesh Friction-Modified or Honda MTF-2 (10-15k change)
-- Differential: LE607 90w (API GL-5) (now replaced with LE1605 Duolec) (30k change)
-- OEM non-silicate anti-freeze (change every 3 to 4 years with full flush)
-- Brake: ATE Super Blue or Motorcraft Super Premium DOT3 (change every 2 years)
-- Clutch: Motorcraft Super Premium DOT3 (change every 2 years)
-- OEM 79831-SA2-003 or NPN R2060-119791 cabin dust/pollen filter
-- OEM 08798-9013 Shin-Etsu grease G-3W-0-M silicon rubber & seal lube
-- Liquid Wrench white lithium spray grease
-- P21S Concours Wax; Paintwork Cleanser
-- S100 Caranuba Wax; Paintwork Cleanser; Gel Wheel Cleaner
-- Klasse All-In-One & Sealant Glaze
-- Meguiars #34 Final Inspection
-- 303 Aerospace Protectant; Wiper Treatment
-- Lexol Cleaner; Conditioner; foam application pads
-- Protect-All Quick n Easy Wash
-- Mothers Mag/Aluminum Polish
-- Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
-- Stoner Invisible Glass
-- Rain-X
-- Clay Magic 100gm claybar; ClayLube

Whew!

--Bob

**update: installed Skunk2 Racing 70mm into dual 60mm catback exhaust - see page 2 for a picture

***another update: installed NRG hood dampers... more pix on page 2

**** updated 10-11-08 added JTKPro fuel rail cover and Knobmeister shift knob
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Welcome old man !!!

I'm just about your age.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post and attention to details.. After retiring from the Navy you chose a nice car and definitly deserve it. I was a CM2 btw.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thats a great read Bob! Thanks. You have many tasteful mods which are pretty much all functional! I like that luggage rack as well, I havn't seen many of those before.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=Emil St-Hilaire,Jun 4 2008, 04:52 PM] Welcome old man !!!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

He even gives his shoe size.

Nice work Old Man.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM

milkbubble,Jun 4 2008, 04:55 PM
Nice post and attention to details.. After retiring from the Navy you chose a nice car and definitly deserve it. I was a CM2 btw.
I'm a retired "mustang" so we're something of kindred spirits! Then again you crusty ol' petty officers always were a hard act to keep up with!

Best!

s2kobsession @ Jun 4 2008, 04:57 PM
Wow, thats a great read Bob! Thanks. You have many tasteful mods which are pretty much all functional! I like that luggage rack as well, I havn't seen many of those before.

Thanks for sharing!
You're very welcome. Hopefully I've caught all the typos now.

freq @ Jun 4 2008, 05:13 PM
He even gives his shoe size. lol.gif

Nice work Old Man. thumbsup.gif
Freq,

That's my glove size. Shoes? Try 10.5 4E / 10 6E. They're the reason I can't drive an Elise....dang pedals are too close together for my canal boat feet! hahahaha

Thanks for the nice feedback

--Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

excellent post, im surprised you know how to use a computer jk jk jk
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice read.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to use an aftermarket radiator cap (higher pressure) on a stock radiator?

Eli
Old 06-04-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP1,Jun 4 2008, 05:48 PM
Nice read.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to use an aftermarket radiator cap (higher pressure) on a stock radiator?
Eli,

The hi-pressure radiator cap improves the cooling effect of the radiator by increasing the injection valve opening to 1.3kg/cm2 from 1.1. No real downside using one.

I choose it among low-temp thermostat, low-temp fan switch, and hi-pressure rad cap options for a bit of extra cooling margin.

--Bob

Quick Reply: A retiree's mods