S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

12v Outlet Loose

Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 12v Outlet Loose

it got loose a few weeks ago and it drives me insane only when i use our garmin. anyone know how to access and fix it?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have to get under the center console/ glove compartment and re-tighten the back piece that sandwiches the console between the 12v and a ring on the back. There are screws on each side of the "flares"/ bottom of the console that are under the plastic covers behind the seats, a screw in the center of the back of the glove compartment and.....I cant remember if you'll need to take out anymore to be able to get enough room to get under there but that should get you started!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoOn3,Jan 2 2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, you have to get under the center console/ glove compartment and re-tighten the back piece that sandwiches the console between the 12v and a ring on the back. There are screws on each side of the "flares"/ bottom of the console that are under the plastic covers behind the seats, a screw in the center of the back of the glove compartment and.....I cant remember if you'll need to take out anymore to be able to get enough room to get under there but that should get you started!
thanks for the info. tried the DIY fix i saw from previous threads and couldn't fix it. the retainer is loose and refuses to tighten. i might just go to honda parts and have them print me out a diagram of the assembly to see what i need to do...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been loose for months. I understand the feeling, it looks like crap! I finally fixed mine today. I just took a few screws out of the glove box, lifted it up, and glued the backside of the outlet. I taped the front side of the outlet until the glue set. When I removed the tape, the outlet was snug as ever. Can't even tell its glued.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry11555299
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pop the center console (center arm rest/cupholders/shift boot) out *carefully* with the e brake up, remove shift knob. behind the seats are plastic panels with little hooks, pop each hook open to find a phillips head screw, remove the hooks and that should remove the plasic paneling behind the seats. open the center console above the 12v and you'll see a screw in the back of it, remove that one. there are two more near the bottom hinge part, remove those as well. you should be able to maneuver your hand behind the console now easily, you'll feel the back part of the 12v on a wire and basically screw the front part that is hanging out to the part behind the console (like the lid on a coke bottle) there will be threads. BAM! done! fixed mine 2 days ago...its really easy to figure it out. just be patient and dont lose any screws!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Thanks for everyone's input, I finally got mine tightened up after a bit of a hand beating and a little bit of learning.

Here's the way that I found to make the most sense -

You don't have to remove the center console/shifter/glovebox although you can and you will probably save your hands a little bit.

If you decide not to do all of that, Begin by pushing your seats forward. Then, remove the vented panel behind both the driver and passenger side seats. Do this by pulling the little tabs underneath the 2 hooks on each panel and you will see a Phillips head bolt that you can simply unscrew, and the plastic hook piece will come with it.

Pull the panel out on each side and they easily pop out. This reveals another Phillips screw on the side of the glovebox. Again, one on each side. Unscrew these. I also unscrewed the screw in the middle of the glove box on the inside.

Bend down on the passenger side first, and get your hand up in behind the 12V with your left hand. Feel around and you will feel a freely sliding, loose cylinder. Try and push the cylinder up the wiring and up to the back of the 12V. Then, move to the drivers side, bend down, and take your right hand with your palm facing upwards and you can get a little grip on the cylinder that should be up near or on the back of the 12V threads. With your left hand, tighten the 12V while you keep a little pressure on the cylinder with your right hand. After it's tight, slide your hand out carefully.

If your cylinder has not fallen too far back in the car, you can start this procedure on the driver's side and you should be able to complete the task. I believe I had knocked my cylinder back on the wiring when I first tried to fix this issue. So I had to use the passenger side as well.

Your hands should not get cut up, but I found it to be really tight for my hands and there was a lot of pressure while I was trying to tighten the cylinder.

I hope this helps someone out.