S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

leather seat care

Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MCoupe
It's my understanding that leather car or truck seats have a polyurethane ‘top coat’ specifically designed for automotive applications. If I'm correct, how does "leather conditioning" work? Do some products actually penetrate the factory coating?
It is resolene. Resolene is designed as a final coat to seal the leather and doesn't allow much absorption but it is still semi-permeable. The whole point of the final coat is to prevent the leather from sponging oils and dirt from your skin and clothes. A lot of people will clean and condition leather and then apply resolene after the seats have dried for a while.

The biggest part is just keeping leather clean since dirt can scratch and wear the coating and allow the underlying leather to be exposed and dried out. At this point, a good quality conditioner can easily penetrate and nourish the leather where it is needed while providing some resistance to the abuse it takes getting in and out of the car. The conditioner can actually help out the coating because it serves as a barrier. There is no need to slather on creams because they won't penetrate the coating and will just sit on top of it to soak into your clothes.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 05-24-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks very much, Steve. My takeaway is the description "semi-permeable," which would allow some degree of conditioning. The original owner of my AP1 used 303 protectant liberally on all interior surfaces, and the seats are in great shape but for some usual wear on the driver's bolster which I've effectively corrected with a leather repair kit.

Last edited by 99MCoupe; 05-24-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 99MCoupe
Thanks very much, Steve. My takeaway is the description "semi-permeable," which would allow some degree of conditioning. The original owner of my AP1 used 303 protectant liberally on all interior surfaces, and the seats are in great shape but for some usual wear on the driver's bolster which I've effectively corrected with a leather repair kit.

Is 303 reliable for the leather?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:37 AM

303 is good stuff. Some of the product will get through and will definitely penetrate areas that are cracked and dried out because the top coat is compromised. The most wear occurs during entry and egress of the car and any protectant will help cut down on this type of abrasive wear. Sounds weird but you are lubricating the surface.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Consensus pick for leather seat clearer and protectant? Lexol versus Griot?

Anything people recommend for the dash, side trim, and console area?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jggysk2
My recommendation for dash care is Surf City Garage Dash Away, especially if you like a clean matte finish. I'm not into the wet armor all look.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jggysk2
Consensus pick for leather seat clearer and protectant? Lexol versus Griot?

303 is all I use once and awhile on the dash etc. It doesn't seem to leave too much of a shine.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had very good results using leatherique pristine clean and the rejuvenator oil. The rejuvenator oil should be let to soak into the leather for a day or two in a hot environment. The pristine clean is also very good at cleaning vinyl and rubber surfaces. Todd Cooperider at Esoteric Detail made a very informative YouTube video explaining the process. I had very nice results lifting embedded stains, dirt and grime from my seats making them look and feel as good as new. I am sold on Leatherique products after using them last summer.

The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, those look great!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TypeSpilot
I had very good results using leatherique pristine clean and the rejuvenator oil. The rejuvenator oil should be let to soak into the leather for a day or two in a hot environment. The pristine clean is also very good at cleaning vinyl and rubber surfaces. Todd Cooperider at Esoteric Detail made a very informative YouTube video explaining the process. I had very nice results lifting embedded stains, dirt and grime from my seats making them look and feel as good as new. I am sold on Leatherique products after using them last summer.

What were the details steps you took?

First wipe clean with damp cloth?
What type of cloth did you use?
How long did you leave in the sun?

Any tips would be appeciated.

Quick Reply: leather seat care