S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Steering Wheel Care - Clean & Protect?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Care - Clean & Protect?

Does anyone use any type of leather care products on their steering wheels? If so, which products and what are the results? Is applying leather products to the wheel a good or bad idea?
I use Meguiar's dash cleaner on the horn portion of my AP1 wheel from time to time but not on the leather portion. That's what I'm wondering about...
Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

All I would say is to use a product with UV protection, though very few products have that. I use Pinnacle Leather conditioner for that reason. 303 Aerospace offers good UV protection but is quite slippery and not really a leather conditioner but offers good protection.

UV rays and rings on fingers are the main reasons steering wheels deteriorate. I don't wear rings and I use Pinnacle leather conditioner, works well IMO.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
All I would say is to use a product with UV protection, though very few products have that. I use Pinnacle Leather conditioner for that reason. 303 Aerospace offers good UV protection but is quite slippery and not really a leather conditioner but offers good protection.

UV rays and rings on fingers are the main reasons steering wheels deteriorate. I don't wear rings and I use Pinnacle leather conditioner, works well IMO.
Thanks man! I have 303 as well but don't use it for the reason of slippage. Maybe I'll apply a light coat of Meg's gold class that I use on my seats. It should have UV protection too but I need to confirm that. I'll look into Pinnacle LC.

I don't wear rings either that's why my wheel and shift knob look like new
I really want to keep them that way too.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:12 PM

Update: While detailing my seats with Meg's Gold Class cleaner + conditioner I decided to coat my steering wheel. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It looks and feels more like new I just applied a very light coat of the polish then buffed it with a clean portion of the microfiber cloth. Feels good in the hands. I recommend this treatment. This product is also UV resistant.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner for years with my interior and definitely use it on my Personal wheel and Leather Pole Position every month (for the rest of the interior every other month or two). The wheel is new (6 months old), the seat is pretty old it's been with 2 previous owners (unkown years), taken care of fairly well (they also used Lexol). So far they look nice and NOT shiny. I ALWAYS put up my Covercraft sun shade when I park outside of my garage, I also have tinted windows with UV protection. My car is also a daily driver since I've owned it (6 years). I used to use UV protectant on my leather my first couple years of ownership, but stopped because I didn't like that it made the leather a little shiny and slick. Imo I feel like it's not formulated for leather, but I dunno.

Last edited by jaor.s2k; 06-25-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I've been using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and water for about 10 years and my wheel looks like it's brand new. I used it on both of my Momo wheels and the OEM wheel which I've recently returned to the car. The buyers of my Momo stuff commented on how good they looked. Simplicity works.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
I've been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner for years with my interior and definitely use it on my Personal wheel and Leather Pole Position every month (for the rest of the interior every other month or two). The wheel is new (6 months old), the seat is pretty old it's been with 2 previous owners (unkown years), taken care of fairly well (they also used Lexol). So far they look nice and NOT shiny. I ALWAYS put up my Covercraft sun shade when I park outside of my garage, I also have tinted windows with UV protection. My car is also a daily driver since I've owned it (6 years). I used to use UV protectant on my leather my first couple years of ownership, but stopped because I didn't like that it made the leather a little shiny and slick. Imo I feel like it's not formulated for leather, but I dunno.

Never heard of it but I'll look into it. Yeah a glossy shine is undesirable for leather. Looks like we have the same natural sheen on our leather with the products we use. Nice wheel by the way
For your shift knob: did you lower the standard lock nut to make the knob sit lower than stock height?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
I've been using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and water for about 10 years and my wheel looks like it's brand new. I used it on both of my Momo wheels and the OEM wheel which I've recently returned to the car. The buyers of my Momo stuff commented on how good they looked. Simplicity works.
How does that magic eraser work?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
So you just use a damp Mr. Clean Eraser on the wheel and leave it be? No other treatment? Do you do the same to the seats?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I have an 18 year old oem Honda leather steering wheel on my Integra GS-R. It was very shiny and blotchy looking since I bought the car a couple months ago. I always thought the blotchiness was wear in the leather material. I wanted to try the Magic Eraser trick this weekend as Harry noted, but I forgot to pick one up when we were at the grocery store. Being home today for Canada day I tried to clean the wheel with Spray Nine (all purpose cleaner) and some microfiber towels. I had some spare Spray Nine sitting around the garage. I've seen some You Tube videos where people used all purpose cleaners and microfiber towels, so I decided to give it a try.

As soon as I started cleaning the wheel, years of body oils, grease, and dirt immediately came off. You could see it all deposited onto the towels. I was surprised how easily it came off. I didn't have to use any force which was good, the dirt came off effortlessly. I went over the entire wheel twice, I could tell when the wheel was clean as I wasn't getting any new black deposits on the towels. Spray Nine is a pretty good degreaser and it seems gentle enough on the leather. It did not strip any colour off the wheel. The steering wheel looks brand new again and it is very even in appearance. Pleasantly surprised for an 18 year old wheel, it looks fantastic. I always thought that shiny wheels was how they all ended up over time, not realizing that it's hand oils that make them shiny. I really like the matte look it has now, the wheel looks brand new. The leather also feels more supple, and the grain is more evident now. Really impressed for a 15 minute job and almost nothing in materials.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 07-02-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Care - Clean & Protect?