S2000 Meets and Events Post and plan your meets and events here. This is the place to find out what is going on in your area.

Watkins International Raceway Thunder Road Tour and Meet , Watkins Glen, NY

Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts
Default Watkins International Raceway Thunder Road Tour and Meet , Watkins Glen, NY

I started a post in the Southern Ontario chapter and Upstate NY forum asking for interest in people wanting to do some parade laps at Watkins Glen International Raceway around June 11th, 2011. This now seems to have gathered enough interest that we might be able to make a mini- meet of it. I also have a post on s2kca.com on this.

I suggest doing parade laps at the track at 11:30 am staging (runs start at 12:15 pm). Then maybe hit up a place for late lunch with some scenic driving. Have a meet before and after the first laps. There are some second laps allowed at 4:30 staging (5:00 pm start) for guys who want to do a second set of laps.

We are discussing possible rain dates as Sunday June 12th, or Saturday June 18th, we will check the weather in advance of the date and modify things as needed as running in the rain is a real downer. Hit me up if you are willing to help out in this way, thanks very much for readin

Thanks to Geras003 I came across the old Watkins Glen road course. I suggest we do a run of the scenic drive which includes a drive over the old stone bridge, I think the route is about 6.6 miles. Map is here http://www.grandprix...al.com/map.html

I'd also suggest a drive up to Glenora Winery for a late lunch , it is pretty close to Watkins Glen, up along Seneca Lake, shoud be nice drive and looks like a nice winery with a restaurant. Info here: http://www.glenora.com/

Combined with the Thunder Road tours at Watkins Glen raceway I think this would be a great event, relatively low cost and some nice top down driving. As long as we pick a date with good weather it should be nice.

When arriving in Watkins Glen around 10:30 am Saturday June 11h, we can have a short meet-up and purchase Thunder Road Tour tickets for $25.00 for 3 laps prior to 11:30 am, staging is at 11:30 am with runs starting about 12:15 pm. After the first runs we can do a scenic drive around the historic original road course route and then head up to Glenora Winery for a late lunch. Guys who want to run a second set of laps at 4:30 pm can head back down to Watkins Glen and do 3 more laps if they wish, anyone who was satisfied with the first laps can head home.

Joey