S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2000 Modifications and Maintenance

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2000 Modifications and Maintenance

Mid June 2014, I bought a 2000 S2000 with 113k, here it is with my other toys.

First thing I did was take it to work to give it a very thorough once over. I've never gotten so much attention and compliments on my vehicle from so many people passing through the shop.

Kinda sorta not really needed an air filter, so I replaced that. Cleaned the throttle body for good measure as well.
Drove around for a day and realized the brakes were squeaky as hell. Went in on my day off and turned the front rotors. Somebody got them pretty hot so they were almost not repairable from warpage. It quieted down for a solid 20 miles afterwards. The cheap pads are what's causing the squeak. Figured I'd be hard on the brakes and replace with a BBK when the pads are gone. Also did a clutch fluid flush.

Drove around for two week and as I was pulling into the shop, I felt a pop and the car started skipping. Coasted into the shop and checked over everything, turned out one of the coils died on me.

About 200 miles later, I was reading up on the forums for what to check for on used S2000s and saw a recurring theme: valve adjustment and timing chain tensioner.
Went ahead and did a valve adjustment, intake .080" exhaust .010". Most of them needed minimal adjustment which made me feel better about the car's history.

Before going on a short 500 mile road trip, I decided to change the oil in the engine, diff, and transmission.
When drained out, all the fluids were like-new. So I have a strong feeling this car was very well-kept.
While doing this, I balanced all four wheels, aired up the spare to 60psi, patched a tire, and set the pressures to 32psi. (I've been playing with the pressures. 38psi seems to be the winner.)
There was some random speaker and power wire ran off the battery, so I went through and removed all of that nonsense.
After all of that was good and set, a 4 wheel alignment was done. It's apparent somebody had this car lowered and threw the stock suspension back on before selling it.

I had most of the stuff I needed delivered to my dealership from a Honda dealership but Honda didn't have a PCV in stock so I swapped that out after the trip. The old one was basically brand new as well, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus I have a spare PCV now.

The plastic window top was being held together by duct tape so that had to go. I had it replaced with a non-heated glass window twillweave top. Brought it to my upholsterer and he had it done for me in a day.

The angle of this picture and rain makes the window look awkward, but it is just like OEM.

Pretty much after that it was just rolling around enjoying the car and one mooring the battery died on me. Kinda expected from a 5 year old battery. Got an OEM replacement from Honda. No big deal.

The interior is red, red, red. I wanted more black... And an AP2 center console. So that's what I did. I have a thread posted about it more in-depth here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23339449

When I bought the interior parts, the guy selling them looked at my windshield frame and said "Huh! You have a decal on your frame, too!" So naturally, I removed it... 15 year old decals are a PITA.

Dirty...

The fenders had some elbow dents so I had my PDR guy take care of those for me. They came out perfect.

The car didn't have a wind deflector ever, so I bought one off a guy on a Facebook group. (it isn't installed in the picture, I just placed it down for a test fit)

Got bored and found where the cabin filter was. Pulled it out and... oh my god.

There was more dirt and shit under the cowl, too. It was bad.

The soft top wasn't sealing on the windshield, so I added washer and swapped my strikers around. Helped.

I noticed a noise in my engine.. So i adjusted the valves again. Then I adjusted them the next day again to make damn sure it was perfect.

I met up with a guy intending to buy shocks, but he ended up giving me a defector sticker that says "S2000." Pretty cool.

Noise is still there, so I got a Billman TCT. Didn't do anything different.

Bought KWv3 coilovers and installed, followed by a full caster/camber/toe alignment.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff man.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neat
Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had forgotten that the wind deflector was optional for 2000.
Looks good. Do you still have your red door panels? I'm sure someone would love to buy them from you.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by NDAZONE
I had forgotten that the wind deflector was optional for 2000.
Looks good. Do you still have your red door panels? I'm sure someone would love to buy them from you.
Just shipped them out yesterday. They brought a lot of interest for not having tweeters nets.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Overdue update.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 PM

Slave cylinder polish. Nothing special.

I went out and bought an AP2 front bumper in Chicane silver, threw it on my car after trimming the actual bumper. It'll probably sit in my closet for a while until I can get all of the body damage on my car fixed at the same time.

I took the PlastiShit off my wheels and it made the car look a lot less "teenager."

This is where the fun started. Fender mods. Rolled all four, trimmed front fenders and liners, relocated rear tab, trimmed rear bumper. Don't worry. No stance nation funny business here.

Fender rolling wasn't just for fun...
17x9 +45 Enkei RPF1 with 255/40r17 Dunlop ZII Star Specs all around.

Pre-alignment:

How it sits now: -2.1* camber f, 0 total toe; -1.8* camber r, 0.25 total toe in. Stock caster settings.

Cleaned the IACV after all that fun and adjusted my throttle cable while I had that apart.

3,750 miles down. Time for an oil change. Went with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 f/s and an OEM S2000 filter this time and replaced the drain plug since it was butchered from a PO.

And here is the job I was dreading since the day I bought my car. Valve retainers. This wasn't as bad as I expected but still was extremely time consuming and tedious. I had to put it on a lift to save my legs and back. Intake retainers were swapped to AP2 and exhaust retainers were kept AP1, but I installed new retainers since I was down there. I used a modified EuroExport spring compressor, the job took about 7 hours start to finish.

And finally after almost a year of ownership, I registered my car and had the title transferred into my name from the old owner hahah.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Looks great! But your garage is a bit bigger than most of ours!

I'm sure you're aware this car is notorious about suddenly swapping ends with all the oversteer built in. Especially the early AP1 models. Honda helped correct this with staggered wheels and tires. You've negated much of this with mammoth 255 all around. The CRs use 255 rear but retain the 215 fronts.

Guys with more time on these cars than me will comment -- since last summer I'm driving an AP2 with stability control. I'd run this car in autocross (or a performance driving course) if for no other reason but to learn at what point she swaps ends. I'm gonna do this myself later this spring.

-- Chuck
Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Looks great! But your garage is a bit bigger than most of ours!

I'm sure you're aware this car is notorious about suddenly swapping ends with all the oversteer built in. Especially the early AP1 models. Honda helped correct this with staggered wheels and tires. You've negated much of this with mammoth 255 all around. The CRs use 255 rear but retain the 215 fronts.

Guys with more time on these cars than me will comment -- since last summer I'm driving an AP2 with stability control. I'd run this car in autocross (or a performance driving course) if for no other reason but to learn at what point she swaps ends. I'm gonna do this myself later this spring.

-- Chuck
Being a technician at a huge dealership has its perks

I've really enjoyed the 255/40 square setup so far. The ZIIs haven't let me down yet (except once in the rain, but we won't talk about that).

I can't wait until AutoX season this year, should be a complete blast.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Quick update:

Went on about a 1,000 miles trip in the S with my girlfriend to the beach about a month ago. Not wanting to wear out my ZIIs and maximum gas mileage was my main concern, I got new Continental ContiProContact tires for the stock AP1 wheels. Balanced and force matched, none above 10lbs. It's crazy how different the ride is compared to the ZIIs with these on.

Beach house!

That was fun... I put the RPF1s back on almost immediately upon our return home. Haha.

It's getting hotter and my new top window doesn't match my side windows as far as tint, so I had the whole car done in 20% and removed the 45% that was on there. Here's how it came out:

My interior is pretty much where I want it, but something was missing. I picked up a little bit of 1080 series 3M carbon fiber vinyl wrap for the center section on my AP2v1 center console. Knocked it out in about 20 min.

That's all for now!

Quick Reply: 2000 Modifications and Maintenance