S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Acceleration improvements with 4.77 gears.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah that does help out a bit. I guess I will find out for myself since they are on the way already. 0-60 might be worse according to that but if you do like 0-55 or whatever it will get to, I am sure that will be much better.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting on my diff from hardtopguy too, I can't wait it feels like it's taking forever isn't it? I called and talked to him after two weeks of trying to reach him with no sucess he said s2kpuddydad has them now and should be shipping out approx. later this week my only concern is how do you know it's cryo-treated?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I guess they are taking longer cause he told me they ran out of cryo'd ones. Yeah the wait sucks. Can't wait to get mine installed. I don't know how to tell if they were cryo'd, but I would not doubt they were. Seems like a good guy, and have heard nothing but good things about hardtopguy.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by vtec4life,Jul 2 2008, 01:35 AM
I'm waiting on my diff from hardtopguy too, I can't wait it feels like it's taking forever isn't it? I called and talked to him after two weeks of trying to reach him with no sucess he said s2kpuddydad has them now and should be shipping out approx. later this week my only concern is how do you know it's cryo-treated?
HTG is going through some stuff at home and he said he wont have as much time as he used to. But both HTG and puddy are really good guys and they WONT screw you over. Thank god puddydad lives about an hour away from me so I should have him build my diff soon
Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM

2003s2k2003 when did you order your diff, I ordered mine two weeks ago and he told me he alread have a cryoed one for me. It's at puddydad's house now.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vtec4life,Jul 2 2008, 02:22 AM
2003s2k2003 when did you order your diff, I ordered mine two weeks ago and he told me he alread have a cryoed one for me. It's at puddydad's house now.
I ordered mine on June 16th. I got an email on the 30th saying it would be shipped out this week. I called last week to ask him when I should expect it and he said that they ran out of the cryo'd gears so was taking a little longer than expected.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Jul 1 2008, 08:58 PM
I think what I will do is just videotape the speedometer before and after from a 5 mph roll so I can see how long it takes going WOT to end of first and then same with each gear and then through 1st-3rd or so. Should give a pretty decent idea of the gain with them if it will show. And by using a camcorder I can review it and get the exact time from 5 mph to end of first gear etc. Stop watches and all are really hard to get accurate as it could be off by half a second either way at least and that will throw it all off.
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to have a clue. Of course you will go through the gears faster -- you have shortened them up.

That's what most people on this board seem to fail to understand.

The reason the shorter gear ratios have an advantage in drag racing is all about the launch. You get into the powerband quicker. Once in there, you stay there (no matter what gearing you have). So you get an advantage right off the line and retain it until you top out.

But in any situation where you start out already in the power band, it's basically a wash.

That's why these short gears are all the rage for the street racers and drag racers, but they are worth little or nothing (or, in fact, are a detriment) on a road course.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Shorter ratios improve acceleration.

Period.

Power to weight ratio has alot to do with it, but its not the be all end all.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheManUK,Jul 2 2008, 12:35 AM
Shorter ratios improve acceleration.

Period.

Power to weight ratio has alot to do with it, but its not the be all end all.
You are wrong. Power to weight is everything, leaving aside limiting factors like the absolute grip level of the tires and aerodynamic drag.

The only reason the car even has a gearing system is that the engine can only provide top power in a certain band of RPMs. Gearing gets you into that band and keeps you in that band. That's all it does.

But I've been down this path enough times to know that most people don't understand as much physics as they think they do, so I'm not expecting to overcome your intuition.

Really quickly, though:

P=F*V=M*A*V

So A goes as P/(V*M). Gears only come into play in that P is a function of engine speed, which is in turn a function of V and the gear ratio. But while shorter final drives have a power advantage some of the time (when they have a higher RPM at the same speed), they also have a power disadvantage some of the time (when they have a lower RPM at the same speed).

They essentially don't have any significant difference -- except in the launch (because you can't downshift below first gear).

If you look at the graphs that were in that thread referenced earlier, you can clearly see that all the differentiation is right at the start, in the launch.

(Edited to clarify where F=MA comes in to play.)
Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Jul 2 2008, 01:25 AM
I ordered mine on June 16th. I got an email on the 30th saying it would be shipped out this week. I called last week to ask him when I should expect it and he said that they ran out of the cryo'd gears so was taking a little longer than expected.
Hey guys I have about 6 rears to build for HTG, I know that you guys rears are among them. The housings all came mid last week and the install parts and gears came last night.
I will be starting on them tomorrow after I finish up the one I am working on now for him. I will be working all through the holiday weekend to get them finished as well
I do not rush a job each rear will take me a day to build, 6 rears, 6 days. Please be patient and your 4.77 differential will be assembled and shipped with care.

As for cryogenics, it is not something you can see, it is a process of increasing the underline tinsel strength of the metal by using extreme cold cycling. The temps range from -300* F to +200* F in the process, this cycling will be performed over a 24 hour period.
The lab runs maybe once a week so this is also a contributing factor in getting the job out to you guys in a timely manor.

It is not quite 5am and my day has started

Quick Reply: Acceleration improvements with 4.77 gears.