S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

ACT Street Clutch Kit (HDSS) slipping after 4,000m

Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ACT Street Clutch Kit (HDSS) slipping after 4,000m

Hi Guys

I had an ACT Street Clutch kit (disc/pressure plate/etc.) and lightened fly wheel fitted 4,000miles ago (2009/06/02) .

I broke it in properly for 750miles.

My s2000 only has a Skunk2 Exhaust, decat and K&N FIPK, so the torque is not much above stock.

I had my first track day today, and the clutch is slipping so badly I can't go over 4000rpm.

What would cause this after such a short lifespan?

Does this mean I need to refit another kit - or could it be something else?

I'm going to try and email ACT in the morning and see if there's any sort of warranty.

Regards.
xrapidx

EDIT: Titled edited in-line with comment below.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They make a kit for street racing?

In all seriousness, I'm assuming it was brand new? The HDSS kit is rated for over 300 torque isn't it? I have the exact kit in my car with no problems.

Was it properly installed?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by psychoazn,Jan 31 2010, 10:18 AM
They make a kit for street racing?

In all seriousness, I'm assuming it was brand new? The HDSS kit is rated for over 300 torque isn't it? I have the exact kit in my car with no problems.

Was it properly installed?
I thought that's what the kit is called?

I also have the HDSS - I can't get into their site, keeps timing out, to get the details of the kit.

Yeh, was told by a performance shop who have done many S2000 installs.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 AM

I just looked it up. The setup is rated for 384 torque. The updated version may be rated for slightly less, but should still be over 350, which is nearly double what a NA engine puts out.

Either your clutch/pressure plate is faulty, or your install was botched. Either way, it needs to be taken back apart to see what went wrong...

If the part is clearly faulty, then you'd be owed a replacement. If the install was botched, the shop should cover it.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks, would you be able to tell who is at fault by taking it to pieces?

I obviously don't want to take it back to the same shop if it was them.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Most likely, you'll be paying double labor if you go to a different shop.

If the shop has as good of a reputation as you say, then I'd give the shop a chance to fix it at their cost if they are at fault. If the part is faulty, then unfortunately you may have to pay for labor twice

I'm not sure if ACT's warranty would cover that. Check the fine print.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Yeh - going to give the shop a call. If ACT doesn't cover faulty products then I won't be supporting them again.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 PM

before you call act, i highly recommend you speaking to your mechanic or person responsible for the install. a common problem that is overlooked is grease contamination due to improper install. applying too much grease to the spline or a dirty unresurfaced flywheel can cause slipping as described.

its an unfortunate circumstance for you to be in, but you will have to remove the act clutch to inspect if it is infact grease contamination. the spline will have splatter or spray lines leading to the outside of the clutch disk. most likely act will require documentaion of the clutch-and this is exactly what they will be looking for. so keep in mind if you see these lines they will not warranty the product. it is very very common for mechanics to apply too much grease or lube to the spline. keep in mind most mechanics apply too much grease to input shaft on the transmission. so check to see if your mecahnic is guilty of this.

i am telling you this from previous experience. i have worked for a clutch company and currently employed as a honda technician.

i hope for your sake it is a defective product that can be replaced. if not you will be the one holding the short end of the stick and your mechnic should take responsibility in replacing the product.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM

According to what I can find, ACT only offer a 90-day warranty.

For some reason I can't get into their website, can anyone else confirm its down?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Just an update - apparently there was a problem with the master cylinder, causing the clutch not to release properly.

I only got my S2000 back today - they managed to reuse the pressure plate and flywheel - only replacing a pretty much cooked disc with the ACT 6-puc disc.

Now the question - do I need to break the disc on over 500miles or does that apply to just the full kit?

EDIT: Before its mentioned - I took the vehicle to a guy who mainly deals in ACT clutches - not the original installer, so I don't think the master cylinder was a made up excuse.

Quick Reply: ACT Street Clutch Kit (HDSS) slipping after 4,000m