S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Active Noise Reduction modification

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Noise Reduction modification

I want this. . . how can we figure out a way to get it for our S2000 ?

They also use this technology in Raytheon Beechcraft KingAir turbo prop aircraft as well as in many pilot's aviation headsets. . .

Plus in the Bose headsets that so many now are are using on airliners. . .

http://www.school-for-champions.com/scienc...ancellation.htm

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Honda cars
Honda is now using noise-cancellation technology in their Japan-only Accord station wagon.

The way it works is that a microphone connected to the car stereo system picks up all the sound inside the car, including music or such from the stereo. Then the noise-cancellation system subtracts the sound of the music coming from the stereo and produces noise-canceling sound waves that match the frequency of unwanted sound.

The noise-canceling sound waves are also sent through the stereo speakers, along with the music. This technique greatly reduces the low frequency vibration noises in the car, without dampening the car's audio system.

Unfortunately, Honda is not shipping the noise-cancellation system outside Japan
</span>
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM

sounds like this is more widespread than i thot:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023518...system-for-cars

plus Acura has it too it appears. . .
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM

ok. . .someone smarter than I . . .figure out a way to buy the parts and install and post a DIY for the S2K

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?model=R...e_sound_control

RL Active Sound Control (ASC) can reduce unwanted cabin noise by as much as 10dB, countering it with opposing sound frequencies from the audio system.

It uses two microphones located in the ceiling to monitor for low-frequency noise in the cabin.
When sound is detected, the ASC control unit passes an inverse waveform to the Bose® amplifier unit, where it is amplified to an inaudible volume that cancels the original sound.
To further insulate your cabin from exterior disturbances, the RL dash, floor, roof, fenders and hood are designed with highly effective noise-insulation materials.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 685 Likes on 433 Posts

I wonder if that is even legal in the US. I imagine it would cancel out the sound of emergency vehicles too, which is frowned upon.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Cancels only low frequencies and only by 10dB, Sirens should still be heard.

This is a great feature, wonder if droning exhausts gets reduced
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0ne,Feb 4 2010, 01:03 PM
Cancels only low frequencies and only by 10dB, Sirens should still be heard.

This is a great feature, wonder if droning exhausts gets reduced
that makes more sense... low freq sound tends to be more non-directional, while the higher frequency the sound is, the more tendency towards being uni-directional. for instance, the tweeter is much louder and clearer when pointed right at you. i was wondering how this technology would work since waves would have to be canceled parallel to speaker direction, but if it's only cancelling bass, then this could work better with standard speakers.

as for your droning question... might work. but droning might be in the midrange, and this might not work so well in that frequency range.

you could probably hack your own version of this. pick up unidirectional mics and mount them pointed with the speakers. then get a phase-shifter / inverter from your pro audio shop, as well as a bandpass eq filter to seperate the frequency ranges, and somehow wire that up to your stereo system. you need to be careful with the eq though, as many types of eq also alters phase... and if your signals are no longer phase-sync'd then it won't cancel correctly. will take some trial and error. i wouldn't be surprised if such a pro audio device already exists that does everything you need.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM

I have the Active Noise Reduction headphones made by Sennheiser.

These are for airline travel

They are the "on the ear" type so its not like a big protective cup over your hear. . its just a small half-dollar sized earpiece on both ears that rest on top of (not inserted into) the ear

You can plug into an ipod or other music player but I don't use it for that when in the car.

I just turn on the active noise reduction which is basically tiny microphones inside each earpiece . .

and the drone goes away as does a lot of the lower frequency rumble and engine noise.

but you can still hear the car and what its doing

then i crank up my regular car stereo and it sounds great actually . .

but I hate wearing the headset

and yes i can hear other traffic and emergency vehicles etc. . .

So I know it works great but just want it inside the car so I don't have to wear it on my head
Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,509 Posts

yeah I see it advertised on the new TL offered in North America. Cool system.

You can try getting an OEM hardtop, it is pretty effective at reducing a good bit of noise on my car.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This technology has been around for a while in Honda's Autos. It was a first on the 2005 Honda Odyssey with VCM. Supposedly it was to drown out the noise from a V6 that only 3 cylinders operating.

For you audiophiles this feature has to be disabled if you run an aftermarket sub.

And this feature is useless for drowning out tire/road/wind noise.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM

actually the headset i'm testing with does help a bit with some of the wind noise as well as any lower freq road and tire noise. . . not sure if a system mounted in the cabin would ?

Quick Reply: Active Noise Reduction modification