S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AEM V2 Cold Air Intake

Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2 Cold Air Intake

Hi all

Dont worry, I've read and searched. And almost all the post that i've read regarding this intake is that it gives you better midrange (butt dyno wise according to their posts) and maybe 1-2hp up top. Posts also vary from some claiming that it HAS given more power as tested in the dyno and probably better power up top in real road speed conditions (Ram air speed at 100mph cant be simulated in the dyno.)

Nobody seemed to claim that it lost power. the worse thing i've heard of is it just made more noise and zero gains, nothing more negative than that.

My experience however was a bit sad. After reading all their post about better midrange pick up or probably just the same as the stock airbox, unfortunately mine felt that it lost mid range, a noticeable amount at that. it seems to be creeping off slowly before VTEC at around 4-6k RPM.
I honestly want to dyno it (im honestly hoping my butt dyno is wrong) but dynoing here in my country does not come cheap.

I love it and all I mean the sound as amazing anybody wit the intake can attest to that. But the Midrange power loss is just a big

My mods are

63mm Test Pipe
63mm Customized Single exit axle back
Spoon ECU.

Stock header and resonator.

What could be the cause of this? anyone here share the same experience as I did? thanks for the inputs bros
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

theres a lot of factors that could make you feel as if your losing power.

heres a few
1.) its in your head
2.) the weather
3.) your car hasn't been tuned with the intake

also..you wont be able to feel a few hp.
unless u have some speed sensor in your body.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ap1_tot,Oct 6 2009, 12:15 AM
Ram air speed at 100mph cant be simulated in the dyno.
Is that even germane? Doesn't the AEM V2 run into the passenger side fender like most other CAI's?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Swang,Oct 6 2009, 02:11 AM
theres a lot of factors that could make you feel as if your losing power.

heres a few
1.) its in your head
2.) the weather
3.) your car hasn't been tuned with the intake

also..you wont be able to feel a few hp.
unless u have some speed sensor in your body.

actually yeah, i've considered those factors already. You could be right, it could be just psychological because it starts making the noise at 4k but the pull is only felt at 6k rpm onwards. I tried going around wit it in during night and day (where air temps vary alot) but the midrange still feels weak. Its THAT big of a loss for it to be noticeable for me. 1-4k and 6-9k rpms feels strong but the pre-vtec lag just really seem to be out of place in the (former) linearity of the powerband. I hope its fixable.

My friends also consider it to be the ECU. since its a Spoon, it could probably need some retuning via VAFC, since the Spoon ECU wasn't designed to cope wit Long tubed intakes.
I hope that's it.

@ Takeshi: I think its a huge factor. The AEM V2 relocates the intake inlet to get the air directly outside of the engine bay, via the air duct in the front bumper
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM

unless you're putting all parts on your car that spoon tuned that ecu for, i would get some other device. that's probably where your biggest problem is.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM

ECU as mentioned by Hero.

CAI Air intakes will give you a bump across the band and a resonance bump for a few hundred rpm in the 3000 range.

Now this depends on the filter too and how dirty it is etc.

You need to be aware of what your ECU is doing, so I would check the Air fuel mixtures and see where you're at. Also consider the cooling mods which the ecu needs and some more research on what parts that ecu is tuned for.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Also regardless of the intake, Spoon filter, aem, k&n etc, it will lean out the air mixture.

If you're running too lean, you're going to lose hp
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

^^ Thanks for the inputs. however, would leaning out really slow the car down? I know it increases the chances of detonation, but I thought you're only going to lose HP when its too rich, or the opposite..

also what do you mean by resonance bump?

Do you think it would be better for me to stick in the stock MY03 ecu 1st? Would it give me some gains then?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM

are you talking about vtec not kicking in as strongly?

When I installed my AEM V2, the transition to vtec was smoothed out, making it feel like vtec wasn't as strong, but in reality, it just fixed the dip in the timing that the stock tuning puts in to reduce wear on components during the transition.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by aCab,Oct 6 2009, 09:52 PM
are you talking about vtec not kicking in as strongly?

When I installed my AEM V2, the transition to vtec was smoothed out, making it feel like vtec wasn't as strong, but in reality, it just fixed the dip in the timing that the stock tuning puts in to reduce wear on components during the transition.
no sir... the transition to VTEC is still very pronounced and felt, but the pre-vtec lag just got worse. I had no problems before in the 4-6k RPM range but after the AEM install, it felt like there was noticeable dip in power in the midrange.

May I ask, how was your AEM V2 experience? did you lose/gain power or none at all? what's your take on the intake sir? thanks. your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Quick Reply: AEM V2 Cold Air Intake