S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AFE Takeda Intake CEL

Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE Takeda Intake CEL

Hey guys, I just installed the aFe Takeda intake Dry airfilter. (Side note.. My friend and I drilled into the temp gauge spot on the manifold, which we weren't supposed to) I did everything except unplug the battery and I had an autocross the day after the install. Morning of, I get a CEL and just did the morning runs. A few days after of not running the car and I found out about disconnecting terminal from the instructions . I unplug the battery for about a minute, my CEL goes away after turning the car back on. Drove around a bit and my CEL comes back on. I get the codes read and autozone says it has something to do with the smog pump and/or improper airflow. Would the part that my friend and I drilled make those codes pop up?

If so, could the installing a sensor there temporarily possibly assist airflow or even cap the CEL's?

Note number 9 is the hole we made, and for MY setup is currently covered by an OEM clip in the pictured washer.

Complete install from aFe's instructions. No grommet to be found.

I have also double checked all of the hosing and wiring inside of the engine bay. All clamps are tight and snug

Aside from this issue, the intake is very nice. It gives the s2k a monstrous roar (videos wont do it justice) and makes the car that much more fun to drive between 4-6k RPM.

Any suggestions or do I have to live with the CEL due to the nature of the intake?

Thank you!

Last edited by turtleesss; 06-06-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may have accidentally unplugged the airpump (emissions purposes), check your vacuum hoses the airpump is most likely come off, thats what happened to me
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah double check the airpump hoses. They are the tiny hoses that go up o the intake manifold. Go back and pull the code and tell us the actual code. Often the reader will provide a generic definition for the code but Honda's definition can be a little different so having the actual code is useful.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Yeah double check the airpump hoses. They are the tiny hoses that go up o the intake manifold. Go back and pull the code and tell us the actual code. Often the reader will provide a generic definition for the code but Honda's definition can be a little different so having the actual code is useful.
if you dont have a reader use the blink code method it should be stickied under the CEL database
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Current engine bay

I think that might have fixed it. I drove around for a little and the didn't come back. I completely forgot about those tiny suckers. I'll let you guys know if the cel comes back
Old 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Happy to report. No CEL.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Code from the reader.

These are all my current connections.
All of my lines are all in tact as well.
​​​​​Halp code came back.
Also there's this blowing sound that I keep hearing it will cut out for a second and then continue. I never had it before I installed the intake.

Also
is a youtube video of the blowing sound I was talking about.

Last edited by turtleesss; 06-28-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had this code, I cured it by taking out my K&N drop in filter and cleaning it out. Just ended up being dirty thus restricting airflow I imagine. Cleared the code. Didn't come back. Maybe check to see the filter in on right and all clamps are tight?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
When I had this code, I cured it by taking out my K&N drop in filter and cleaning it out. Just ended up being dirty thus restricting airflow I imagine. Cleared the code. Didn't come back. Maybe check to see the filter in on right and all clamps are tight?
I just installed the intake though.. and yeah clamps are all tight. I just wanted to turn my car around in my driveway lmao. It took all that daily driving but as soon as I wanna move it around, upon first start up, I get a CEL and that was the code.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your hoses are up side down....

Quick Reply: AFE Takeda Intake CEL