S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

airbox mod

Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by IMfam0us
That was a nice quick read. I was half way thinking about trying this out just for grins and giggles but was fairly certain the engineering honda put into the s2000 was already on point
Agree. I'm leaving my intake alone. Not interested in reduced performance and increased noise which just attracts attention.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

The small elbow-tubing/divider hole, is the same size as the small front-opening hole. So, I really doubt removing the divider and elbow-tube will really make an improvement; because the front-opening is still small and still the same size after-all. Both of those small holes working together is probably designed to decrease sound (like a muffler or gun silencer) and also decrease turbulence and smoothen airflow. Removing only 1 of those small holes (the divider and elbow) won't increase flow; because the front opening is still small.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
It's been around for a long time. Aftermarket intakes will make more power and there's plenty you can do to combat heat-soak. I live in the desert, I don't get any appreciable heat-soak.
Fokker what do you do to combat heat soak? I live in a hot region too (never freezing) and I do suffer heat soak (stock engine). I have researched this topic but found too many conflicting opinions.
The following users liked this post:
housetribe (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
Fokker what do you do to combat heat soak? I live in a hot region too (never freezing) and I do suffer heat soak (stock engine). I have researched this topic but found too many conflicting opinions.
The intake tube and box are wrapped in DEI Reflect-A-Gold tape. The intake temps dropped significantly while sitting still (~10-15 degrees) and the numbers stay very low while moving air through the bay (driving).
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Stock airbox is designed to suppress intake 'noise', while not compromising performance. Its very well designed for that purpose. The trouble is, most of us would consider that desirable sound, not noise.

Hence the popularity of aftermarket intakes, which provide very little if any performance gains, but sound great. While there are possible performance gains from an intake, they're minimal. The odd looking puffo has documented, minimal gain, and lengthening the intake tube, AFTER the filter has proven, minimal gain.

The mod in the youtube does not appear to compromise anything other than 'noise' suppression. Its free. It does not make the car look riced, so does not reduce cars value for not being 'stock'. There are not a lot of downsides to it.

Note, while intakes that lengthen intake tube after the filter have proven gains, lengthening the feed into the filter would not have the same effect. Likewise, removing the stock box tubes in the lid isn't going to compromise performance.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

There are before and after dyno plots in the linked video. Although the mod is mainly for more "performance" induction sound the graph shows increased power across the rpm range.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

That dyno plot is useless though since they both changed the header and did flashpro tuning.
The following users liked this post:
JamesD89 (03-13-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

^ +1
I agree
Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There are before and after dyno plots in the linked video. Although the mod is mainly for more "performance" induction sound the graph shows increased power across the rpm range.
Let's see a dyno without aftermarket header, aftermarket tune nor any other parts added. Then I'll believe if the mod works or not. It's not that hard to do and I wonder why no one has done it in 18 years, lol.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Because no one really believes it will have any measurable effect, so they know its a waste of time.

Its for sound, and possibly cooler air (which can provide better throttle response, but no real performance potential here either over stock box).

Quick Reply: airbox mod