S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AP2 Lower Seat Options

Old 06-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 Lower Seat Options

I know, another seat lowering thread. I've been googling, but haven't found exactly what I need yet...it may not exist.

2007 AP2 which is a daily driver and I want to make sure my wife can still drive the car (6'/190lbs/34" waist & 5'7"/130lbs). Since this is a daily driver, I prefer to keep it comfortable by using the stock seats. Also, quality and safety (airbags, etc. must remain 100% functional) are very high on my priority list, more so than cost. I'm not interested in hacking up the OEM seats, and they need to remain adjustable to fit two different drivers. We both sit in a proper driving position (reasonably close to vertical, slight knee bend at full extension, hands 9/3, etc). It seems most road cars are set up to allow for one handed, severely reclined, lazy driver positions and don't work well if you take your driving seriously. Generally, for me in this position the underside of the top portion of the steering wheel fully clears the speedo (barely), which means I can't see the tach beyond 2-3k RPM. End up shifting by sound and speed.

Option 1
Keep the stock seats, seat belts, etc. but with only a lower rail. The BC's don't seem to be up to the quality I want. Found some mixed information, but the Backyard Specials only work for the AP1? Other than that, I can't seem to find any lower seat rails that work with the stock seats for an AP2. The lowest setting possible for the stock seats appears to be 20mm. Any information is appreciated.

Option 2
New rails and bucket seats. Mugen and Ballade Sports rails appear to be high quality. Other options? What is a good option for a DD bucket seat that works with the stock seat belts, sits lower, and doesn't interfere with the center console?

Option 3
Forget stock and just go all out with a roll cage, 4/5point harness, bucket seats etc. At this point cost is a factor and I feel that it will hurt the DD functionality of the car. Anyone else DD a full setup like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I really don't think you are going to find a fixed bucket that will make you both comfortable.

Option 1 is the way to go. There is no difference between model years or AP1/AP2 on driver side seat mounting location, so the Backyard Special rail should work. It may be the only lower rail for stock seat out there but I haven't really looked lately. I wouldn't worry about lowering the passenger seat, 06+ has extra air bag sensors attached to stock rail that you don't want to mess with. Not sure if you were clear about the Buddy Club rails but they are for side mount seats, won't work with the stock bottom mount seats.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
I really don't think you are going to find a fixed bucket that will make you both comfortable.

Option 1 is the way to go. There is no difference between model years or AP1/AP2 on driver side seat mounting location, so the Backyard Special rail should work. It may be the only lower rail for stock seat out there but I haven't really looked lately. I wouldn't worry about lowering the passenger seat, 06+ has extra air bag sensors attached to stock rail that you don't want to mess with. Not sure if you were clear about the Buddy Club rails but they are for side mount seats, won't work with the stock bottom mount seats.
Thank you for the reply.

Can anyone confirm that the Backyard Special rail will work with a 2007 AP2? Opinions on BS rail quality? At least as good as stock?

Thanks.

Edit: Any good leads to source these or just Google?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of people run those backyard special rails and ive never seen any complaints, you could search and see though.

The only difference in seat rails from 00-09 is with the 06+ passenger side. The driver side is all the same so it will work.

Backyard special is a japanese company, and the rails have been around quite some time. Some of the site sponsors here do special orders for them and theyre usually sold out or sell out quickly once the order is placed. You may get lucky and find a set used in the marketplace here but again, theyre gone pretty quick.

Aftermarket options are limited for seats. If you daily drive your car or drive it quite a bit, a full bucket seat will prove to be annoying due to the high side bolsters, especially with your height, although there are exceptions im sure. Reclinable seats that fit the s2000 are even more limited, as they are usually wider. If you decide to look for a different seat, check the official forums in the s2000 gallery. There is a huge thread named "aftermarket seats gallery" which has lots of pictures and discussions.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I was put off by the shitty quality of buddy club rails. So I just bought a set of ruined seats for cheap and made my own sideplates in Pro-Engineer and had my friend CNC them from a DXF file.

If you know a fabricator, you can give him dimensions drawn on a piece of paper and make your own sideplates. Its pricey...but there's no slider like an OEM slider.

Getting the seatbelt hole position is a bit tricky. Mine is extremely solid and positioned well. I realize this isn't an entirely practical solution. But worth mentioning.

Also...pole positions are comfortable. Getting into/out of them sucks. But once you're in there.....

I've driven from the chicago burbs to both coasts in my pole positions. Then again...I'm a 31 waist, 5'11, 150lbs. My GF is 5'4 and slim. Neither of us have trouble driving the car in terms of seat height or comfort.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at these for mine:

http://www.nengun.com/back-yard-spec...ered-seat-rail

They do ap2 which is what I need, I am only doing the drivers side though, 20mm wont be too noticable especially as the seats are usually in slightly different positions anyway.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I got my BYS seat rail slightly cheaper from rhdjapan.com
20mm doesn't seem much but it is definitely noticeable, rails are good quality and totally worth their money.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Another vote for the BYS rails. They are actually beefier than the oem. The one issue you will run into however is when you push them all the way back it is very difficult to move the seat forward again. My seat is always pushed all the way back and my wife doesn't drive the S2000 so its not an issue but if you need the seat to move regularly it could be a concern.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Second the Recaro pole position seat for dd. it is annoying getting in or out but as of comfort wise i would never go back to a stock s2k seat unless i was selling the car. i have loved it so much that any future 2 seater toy car i get will have the pole position. Make sure its the pole position and not spg. spg will hug your nuts while poles will let them breath lol
Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM

Ended up ordering the Backyard Specials. Thanks for all the responses.

Originally Posted by SMG1990
I have been looking at these for mine:

http://www.nengun.com/back-yard-spec...ered-seat-rail

They do ap2 which is what I need, I am only doing the drivers side though, 20mm wont be too noticable especially as the seats are usually in slightly different positions anyway.
They just added the AP2's to the website for order because I inquired about them.

Quick Reply: AP2 Lower Seat Options