S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AUT or ARC cooling plate?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by street_ruler,May 31 2008, 11:44 PM
thats not true dude,

go for a blast down the road without the plate (the one that acts mroe like a ram air scoop) then with....tell me which one yeilds a cold airbox and which one is hot.

get the AUT.
And what proof do you have of this?

A snorkle will be alot more beneficial, air rammed from in front of the bumper directly into the airbox, and still lets air flow throughout the engine bay.

If it really makes you feel better then by all mines get the AUT plate, but dont expect that to make any difference.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 PM

I believe the OP was referring to the design more than the performance aspect... I do like AUT's design the best, especially if you're utilizing the oem air box.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by importi2acer,May 31 2008, 11:41 PM
So in essence according to their theory you want to block off the space there so that the cold air is deflected to the radiator and helps keep temps down, thats where the cooling plate comes in. Hope that helps.
They are 100% true. Although there is no 'space', there is already a plate the directs air into the radiator. This oem plate has little tiny holes that let SOME air, into the intake area and the engine bay. So the only air 'escaping' is whatever can pass through those tiny holes.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,May 31 2008, 07:49 PM
And what proof do you have of this?

A snorkle will be alot more beneficial, air rammed from in front of the bumper directly into the airbox, and still lets air flow throughout the engine bay.

If it really makes you feel better then by all mines get the AUT plate, but dont expect that to make any difference.
i have one and ive done it. i dont care if you believe me or not. its the truth. go do it for yourself and then ask the same question.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=street_ruler,May 31 2008, 07:44 PM] thats not true dude,

go for a blast down the road without the plate (the one that acts mroe like a ram air scoop) then with....tell me which one yeilds a cold airbox and which one is hot.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

i have one and couldnt tell any difference. its more for looks than anything
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^like he said, these are pretty much for looks. if you have a spare dollars to spend to dress up a bit, then w/e go for it.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,May 31 2008, 08:12 PM
Neither one will do a thing for your car, get whichever one you think is the prettiest. The oem radiator plate has slits all through the front which let air go throughout the entire engine cooling everything, when you block those holes off with an aftermarket radiator plate its not as beneficial as you might think, as theres no more air flow throughout the engine.

Either way you will not notice the "positive" or "negative" effects of the plate.
dude you're supposed to remove the stock one before you put the new one on. and also, those slits in the stock one are NOT to cool the engine. our engine is not air cooled. did you forget we have coolant?

edit: also i would suggest the aut with a fipk, thats the same setup i have. nothing noticable idling, but at speed it feels better knowing cool air is going to the filter. with the arc, some air is headed up in some direction... some getting to your filter lol.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The AUT plate actually replicates the contours of the hood's interior when closed. Look at your hood when raised yourself... you'll see. No adverse impact on coil packs, etc. either. So with the stock air director left in place it really is simply bling.

All that said I installed an AUT over a mini-radmat I'd been running since I bought my MY03 new. It cleaned up the look of the engine bay.

Before (with a Coastal Metals engine bay air director which is an inexpensive alternative to pieces like the ARC cooling plate):

The mini-radmat was modeled after tn2p's plate shown here:

After (with the Coastal Metals piece removed and AUT installed):

--Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 AM

thx for the responses guys

@terahertz

Can I get a pic of the setup? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: AUT or ARC cooling plate?