S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best comfort coilovers

Old 03-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best comfort coilovers

Hey all!

Just got my stock s2k. I'm about to start my project =)

Looking for comfort with good handling. Most likely I won't be going to the track. Maybe once in a while on a very rare occasion. Mostly city drive and on a nice weekend day, I'll be taking it to the mountains and cruise around with the wifey.

Price wise, looking for mid range.

What is the price of a mid range? And what is the price for a high end range?

​​Please provide insight and recommendation. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

2K -- 5K
Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I would look into Ohlins or Bilstein for mostly street comfort and some track performance. Price range is mentioned above. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've owned both the KW v3 and the Ohlins DFV with factory spring rates (10/8 F/R Kg/mm) and I HIGHLY recommend the Ohlins for a mostly street driven S. The dampening that the Ohlins provide was shocking (no pun intended) to me when I first experienced them. Incredibly compliant and smooth, yet still very informative and firm. The pricing on them nowadays seems a bit more affordable than they used to be, plus there are group buys that can help you get them for even cheaper. You can find them for ~$2k before any group buy specials.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

I loved my Bilstein PSS, fantastic street driving coilovers, better handling and more comfort than stock IMO. Price is very affordable with lifetime warranty. No need to get the adjustable version as the engineers got the settings perfect on the PSS, just choose your ride height and run with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I loved my Bilstein PSS, fantastic street driving coilovers, better handling and more comfort than stock IMO. Price is very affordable with lifetime warranty. No need to get the adjustable version as the engineers got the settings perfect on the PSS, just choose your ride height and run with it.
can the PSS be set to the same height as stock? I’ve read conflicting reports in this.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Comfort Coilovers are the Bilstein PSS9, Ohlins DFV, KWV3 and also surprisingly the HKS Hipermax IV GT. Shoot me a message if you are interested in any of these setup if you are looking to go with brand new!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running Fortune Auto 500s w/ swift springs. 9k spring rates on all 4 corners and 11k valving. At full stiff settings, they are not bouncy like you will read on here occasionally. When I bought them (with upgraded springs) they ran me ~$1300. I do spirited daily driving, but dont autocross or track, however a friend who is a huge s2000 track junky in my area will work on my car occasionally and said it feels very neutral whenever he drives it around. My only problem with the setup is I can't stiffen up the front enough to run a square tire set up and not have crazy oversteer. So I'm stuck to a staggered set up, or accidentally drifting every corner (would not recommend to friends). I could also get a super stiff front sway bar I suppose.

If you went this route, and wanted to run a square tire setup, I would recommend higher spring rate on the front vs the rear. Otherwise they are more comfortable than stock, I have a very neutral handling car with minimal body roll, and the lady friend has no problem falling asleep on long car rides
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Yknits18
can the PSS be set to the same height as stock? I've read conflicting reports in this.
Yes, but. But you may compromise ideal droop. Ride height on the pss also determines travel vs droop. If you raise the car too high with a coilover that doesn't have adjustable lower mounts, when you go over a bump, the suspension won't be able to drop enough and will top out against the stops. The top of the ideal range may have you a little lower than stock.

Its for this reason you see conflicting reports. You can get stock ride, but the question is should you go for stock ride height...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for.

Go with JRZ RS. (doesn't need to be Pro)

Quick Reply: Best comfort coilovers