S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Blew AP1 motor. 06 AP2 swap thoughts?

Old 05-04-2022, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew AP1 motor. 06 AP2 swap thoughts?

Since I blew the current one, I'm planning to swap 2006 AP2 engine to my AP1,
and 2006-09 engine seems to be only option for a new motor from hondafactoryparts.com.
Idk the difference between 04-05 & 06-09 motors, they have different part numbers, and 04-05 are discontinued.

My concern is, will it work?
I will put an AP2 ECU, something like kpro.
If anyone had experience with similar work, please let me know.

Also, suggestions on getting a new motor is also welcomed
- i did some research on ASM k24 swap, but there would be no big difference on the price (or labor-wise), and not sure about Spoon.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Speed Academy on YouTube. They have a whole series on their s2k and also swapped over a F22 into their AP1.
One thing to note is that they ran into an issue where the car wouldn't start because of the immobilizer. The AP1 immobilizer didn't work with the AP2 ECU, but once they put the AP1 ECU back into the car, it started up.

I've seen many threads on s2ki about k-swapping or F22-swapping an AP1, so the info is definitely available to you.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Kpro works with an 00-05 engine + using some parts from an 06-09 engine. It will not work with a full 06-09 engine.
If you want to run the 06-09 engine in your 00-05 chassis you will need to swap over a number of things from your old 00-05 engine onto the new 06-09 engine. What exactly needs to be swapped has been documented on the forums here many times.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:58 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

You will find that often parts listed as available on Honda online parts sites are actually discontinued. The sites let you place the order, but then cancel it abd give refund when tbey realize it can't be ordered anymore.

They seldom bother to update their site to show its discontinued. Just keep letting people order, then cancel it.

New motors have not been available for some time. Some have managed to get a hold of what appears to be leftover new motors, that had been hanging around for decades in a warehouse or something.

Mixed results on these leftover motors, as it appears bearings became corroded for lack of lube, which apparently dripped away from bearing surfaces after years of sitting. Some motors died after just a few hundred miles.

Used motors are considered only economical path to replacing damaged motor. K swap being an option with high cost of entry, but then plentiful supply of cheap replacement next time motor dies.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 1,277 Likes on 963 Posts

Are you talking about a 06+ longblock? or shortblock?

The head is where all the complexity happens. Not too many changes in the block itself for 2006.

I doubt any dealers still have longblocks for sale though.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevvo.ap1
Check out Speed Academy on YouTube. They have a whole series on their s2k and also swapped over a F22 into their AP1.
One thing to note is that they ran into an issue where the car wouldn't start because of the immobilizer. The AP1 immobilizer didn't work with the AP2 ECU, but once they put the AP1 ECU back into the car, it started up.

I've seen many threads on s2ki about k-swapping or F22-swapping an AP1, so the info is definitely available to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3t3...7OEcu&index=21
Thanks for the info! Didn't think about searching on youtube haha

Originally Posted by Scigheras
Kpro works with an 00-05 engine + using some parts from an 06-09 engine. It will not work with a full 06-09 engine.
If you want to run the 06-09 engine in your 00-05 chassis you will need to swap over a number of things from your old 00-05 engine onto the new 06-09 engine. What exactly needs to be swapped has been documented on the forums here many times.
yes. it seems like 04-05 motors are much better choice on ap1. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You will find that often parts listed as available on Honda online parts sites are actually discontinued. The sites let you place the order, but then cancel it abd give refund when tbey realize it can't be ordered anymore.

They seldom bother to update their site to show its discontinued. Just keep letting people order, then cancel it.

New motors have not been available for some time. Some have managed to get a hold of what appears to be leftover new motors, that had been hanging around for decades in a warehouse or something.

Mixed results on these leftover motors, as it appears bearings became corroded for lack of lube, which apparently dripped away from bearing surfaces after years of sitting. Some motors died after just a few hundred miles.

Used motors are considered only economical path to replacing damaged motor. K swap being an option with high cost of entry, but then plentiful supply of cheap replacement next time motor dies.
looking for used motors right now - seems this is much simpler way to run my ap1. Thanks

Originally Posted by B serious
Are you talking about a 06+ longblock? or shortblock?

The head is where all the complexity happens. Not too many changes in the block itself for 2006.

I doubt any dealers still have longblocks for sale though.
short block assembly+cylinder assembly = longblock if my understanding is correct, and the website says they have both of those so..
idk if they really have these in stock, prob they dont have them
Old 05-05-2022, 03:21 PM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,005 Posts

2006-09 engine seems to be only option for a new motor from hondafactoryparts.com.
The last of these were gone years ago. Likewise long and short blocks. If anyone knows of any of these new parts they're keeping silent and hoarding.

Used engines are on Ebay every day.

ALL the on-line "Honda factory parts" sites use the same database (and front end). None of them have a secret stash.

-- Chuck
Old 05-12-2022, 05:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I work for Honda and have access to the parts system and all short blocks for all years are discontinued.
Doesn't mean there isn't one hiding in someone's stock somewhere but highly unlikely.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:27 AM

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

If I were forced into an engine replacement scenario, I would put a lot of consideration into a K swap. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the F motor and it's part of what makes the car special but as motors/parts become scarce, a K swap makes sense from a logistical standpoint.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:12 AM

Received 110 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd do K swap. But, I'm in CA, so that wouldn't be CARB/Ref legal.

Quick Reply: Blew AP1 motor. 06 AP2 swap thoughts?