S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Changing suspension?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Changing suspension?

What advantages are the Ohlins DVF coil overs versus the ‘01 stock system?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

It is adjustable both in height and damping. Custom spring rates are available. You are basically asking what the benefit is of an aftermarket coilover which I am pretty sure there is 1000's of threads on.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
It is adjustable both in height and damping. Custom spring rates are available. You are basically asking what the benefit is of an aftermarket coilover which I am pretty sure there is 1000's of threads on.
The OP has been a member for 8 years and has nearly 3k posts. One would think this has been addressed at some point
Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Its kinda like asking what are the advantages of a Type R Civic over the Si? They are both performance oriented Honda's based on the same basic chassis. Is one really better than the other?

One has significantly higher performance capabilities, at higher cost.

In the example of suspension, the more expensive option also includes adjustability. I would argue though that its the performance differences more than the adjustability that maked them more desirable.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends what youre trying to accomplish with them. If youre just driving on the street then stock is perfectly fine. But if you want the customization - spring rates, ride height, etc. then you have no choice but to go with aftermarket suspension. Ive never tried Ohlins but most people would consider them an upgrade over stock suspension performance-wise. In this case since your 01' stock suspension is probably a bit old and tired, the Ohlins would be a worthy upgrade regardless.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I switched to the Sakebomb Garage version of DFVs last year (11k/11k vs. 10k/8k). I don't think I'd spend the money if I only drove on the street as there are alternatives that are plenty good for the street and significantly less expensive. Even 18 clicks soft they are stiffer than stock. It's not a bad ride, but it's noticeably more jiggly. On the track, it's another story as the DFVs transformed the car. I could go on and on about how much I like them, but there are many other posts already that sing their praises. So I'd say it's up to you to decide if the advantages are worth the cost and trade offs based on how you use the car.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Drive mine on the street only and sometimes a little faster than zone limit , i wanted the best I could afford<buy cheep buy twice>have tried other less expensive coilovers on my other cars and wanted a better high end unit the<Dual flow valve> has a good following road and track. R&T
for the S2000 as its a high end car <for me anyway>
& also to buy brand new Honda s2000 dampers x4 its a no brainer as the cost is marginal between both. <Man maths>
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

In all honesty OP, you haven't been pursuing any kind of performance driving with enough regularity (that I've seen or heard about) to warrant upgrading. The stock suspension is very capable and will serve your needs very well. If you were to put money towards upgrading anything, I would suggest developing yourself before altering the car. The cost of a set of Ohlins DFV (~$2,000) would fund a great many events (autox/track days).
Old 08-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Just installed a set of DFV on my S2000. Depending on the mileage of your car it's a great upgrade. Coming from Koni Yellows with C/R springs. You can't go wrong. Best of luck man.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I agree that autocross and track time will be beneficial. I hope to increase that time in the future. Our schedule has been pretty hectic, yet I hope it opens up a bit after the summer. My S now has a little over 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Changing suspension?