S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Coil over suspension

Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coil over suspension

I am looking at a coil over mod on my AP2 and was wondering if someone could provide some direction as to the best make to use.
I am new to the S2000 and could use some help.
Thank you
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

What are you really looking for? Only street driving? Track driving only? Autocross? Mix? Price range?

There is a lot of info if you search. 90% of people seem to want primarily a street damper with a strong ability to track and have a budget of 1.5 - 2.5k. This forum usually guides people to buy Ohlins DFV or Road and Track, whatever they're called at this moment. From all accounts, a good setup.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
What are you really looking for? Only street driving? Track driving only? Autocross? Mix? Price range?

There is a lot of info if you search. 90% of people seem to want primarily a street damper with a strong ability to track
The factory dampers do this....and they were included with the car.

Most people want to keep (or improve) the car's ability BUT not ruin it by lowering it.

Since OP hasn't mentioned any type of specific use, I am assuming its just either a street car with worn out shocks or he wants to lower it.

I would want to keep monotubes on this car, as a twin tube would likely be a downgrade from stock in terms of driving experience.

You should probably ask more specific questions, however.

The safest bet today is the Ohlins DFV, as the poster above me also said. It does pretty much everything well.

Fortune Auto is another alternative. Not quite as nice, but still an excellent overall street/track setup.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coil over suspension

Thank you for your reply. Yes I should have been more specific in my question.
What I am looking for is a coil over suspension that will give me better control, while not sacrificing the ride. I intend to do some tracking.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the overal consensus you will find on this forum will suggest Ohlins for what you want to do. I myself am running the Greddy x KW coilovers as this is my daily car but i also do some Autocross about once a month. I found them to be quite nice on the street, but definetly more stiff than stock. A cheaper alternative to the Ohlins at around 1.5k but so far i'm super happy with them.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any cheap coilover is a huge downgradeover the stock setup. Another recommendation for Ohlins here
Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Winggs
Thank you for your reply. Yes I should have been more specific in my question.
What I am looking for is a coil over suspension that will give me better control, while not sacrificing the ride. I intend to do some tracking.
Just FYI... The only thing that the OEM doesn't do is to lower the car.

BUT, most people, and I'm referring to people who knows what they're talking about when it comes to a performance car is that, the OEM suspension is spot on for the car.

As many other have said, a lot of aftermarket suspension systems are actually a downgrade for this car.

If you are doing strictly for looks, then yeah swap them out. But if you're looking for performance gains, then take it out on a track and see what you REALLY need.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:10 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

And if you must have lower, and don't want to spend on coilovers that are an actual upgrade, you can just get decent lowering springs. These work well with the stock shocks so long as you go with quality springs, and aren't looking to go crazy low.

The only downside is it tends to shorten the potential lifespan of the shocks somewhat, especially if shocks are already getting close to worn out.

Lowering springs are usually progressive springs, which on the street will have a significant improvement to how 'tight' the handling feels. Reducing lean in corners and increasing feel of immediate steering response. At the expense of some amount of consistent response when pushing limits on track capable tires that can put stresses into chassis that street only tires aren't capable of.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Once you go coilovers, you never go back to stock.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Someone "new" to the S2000 really doesn't have a clue what the car needs. Hint: nothing. Get some good Max or Extreme Summer tires and check the alignment. Lowering the car will just let it bottom out on crappy provincial roads and pot holes.

There are a few folks who race these cars and an adjustable coil-over system will allow tuning to a specific track but the primary reason for adjustable coilovers appears to be bling (note the "look at me" colors they paint them), just like painting your calipers red. "Yeah, it's got coilovers. Bro" is the discussion line.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
stock06 (07-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Coil over suspension