S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: Coilovers vs Springs/Struts
Coilovers
88.89%
Struts+Springs
11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Coilovers or Springs+Struts?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilovers or Springs+Struts?

Very close to getting the car and I went to a S2000 meeting locally and I talked to a few people who were split between coilovers and struts/springs. Pricing is similar. Some said go with Eibach and Koni struts and others said coilovers with dampening control. I do want drivability out of it, so some comfort. I heard even coilovers with dampening are still somewhat rough. But for those who have either, you can let me know. It would help. Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on what you are going to do with your car, if you are going to track it and be more aggresive, then get coilovers.

if you just want you car to look nice and have some decent amount of control, then springs and struts.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coilovers, you can always adjust it
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Coilovers. So much better.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Does dampening adjustments really make it softer? Livable?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-S2000
it all depends on the coils you get and spring rates

i heard megan ez streets are pretty soft, softer than oem (even at the firmest setting). plus how cheap they are, i don't think it'll improve handling either; i would use them only for looks and i guess a softer ride (but i actually am used to oem suspension and think it's too soft ). now if you get megan street or track coils i heard they were stiffer and harsher than oem (even at the softest setting).
btw i only used megan to easily compare the difference in coil models, even within the same company. you'll get plenty of variations from other companies. i would try to find people in your area that have s2k's with coils and ask for rides

as for springs, i've read swift spec-r feel softer than oem in casual driving, but when you push them they feel like the spring rates they're supposed to. i have no idea about koni yellows or how they are at different settings, plus comfort also depends on what kinda springs you pair the konis with

but if you are going for more "livable" feel in an s2000, you are looking at doing the wrong thing for it. the s2k wasn't made for comfort (even though i find it very comfortable, even suspension)

EDIT:
oh here's another combo if you're just aiming for looks with some better control. koni yellow + ground control "coils"
i just remembered about this, cause my friend has this setup. at the setting he had the konis, they felt like oem (comfort wise), but i don't know what that is. i could ask and find out

basically the ground control "coils" are pretty much like adjustable springs so you're able to only adjust the height while the konis are the struts to adjust dampening
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
Originally Posted by AZ-S2000' timestamp='1335756711' post='21654337
it all depends on the coils you get and spring rates

i heard megan ez streets are pretty soft, softer than oem (even at the firmest setting). plus how cheap they are, i don't think it'll improve handling either; i would use them only for looks and i guess a softer ride (but i actually am used to oem suspension and think it's too soft ). now if you get megan street or track coils i heard they were stiffer and harsher than oem (even at the softest setting).
btw i only used megan to easily compare the difference in coil models, even within the same company. you'll get plenty of variations from other companies. i would try to find people in your area that have s2k's with coils and ask for rides

as for springs, i've read swift spec-r feel softer than oem in casual driving, but when you push them they feel like the spring rates they're supposed to. i have no idea about koni yellows or how they are at different settings, plus comfort also depends on what kinda springs you pair the konis with

but if you are going for more "livable" feel in an s2000, you are looking at doing the wrong thing for it. the s2k wasn't made for comfort (even though i find it very comfortable, even suspension)

EDIT:
oh here's another combo if you're just aiming for looks with some better control. koni yellow + ground control "coils"
i just remembered about this, cause my friend has this setup. at the setting he had the konis, they felt like oem (comfort wise), but i don't know what that is. i could ask and find out

basically the ground control "coils" are pretty much like adjustable springs so you're able to only adjust the height while the konis are the struts to adjust dampening
Ah that setup looks good, and price is good as well. I think I might go this route
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashton23
Coilovers
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-S2000
Ah that setup looks good, and price is good as well. I think I might go this route
just make sure you know what your looking for, not just short-run, but long run too.
i tried to do a lot of research before purchasing anything
at first i was going to get spec-r with koni yellow, but i knew i wanted to autox/track after college, so i'm currently saving up for a decent set of coils (my friend's used spoon showa coils with 12k and 10k springs to be exact )

Quick Reply: Coilovers or Springs+Struts?