S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

cold air intake worth it?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake worth it?

Has anyone added a cold air intake to your S2000? I have a line on a brand new in box Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake for about $100 bucks. Will it make a difference to my stock intake? I looked in the box where my K&N air filter is and its pretty wide open to as much air as it needs...just curious if the WeaponR would even do anything...thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres a shitload of of information regarding intakes on here. Your best bet is to go to yahoo/google and type in what your question is followed by "S2ki" and every thread known to man will pop up.

Btw, not to say that I don't support WR product because my buddy works for them.. I must say that there are much better intakes out there that will actually make proven power. Just because you can get it cheaper doesn't mean its better. S2k's suffer from heatsoak, and two intakes that are relatively cheaper and have actually helped with heatsoak and power are the comptech aka CT engineering intake, and the K&N fipk.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the s2k community a favor and do not buy weapon R, those are garbage and you will probably get better power from a k&n drop in filter.

I have heard good things about the K&N fipk, just save up and get that.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

It's worth it if you want a deeper, richer sound to VTEC engagement, and the added cosmetic looks inside your engine bay. Go with the K&N FIPK, I sure did and I have no regrets.
Attached Thumbnails cold air intake worth it?-new-intake-6-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robaincltnc
Has anyone added a cold air intake to your S2000?
As always with intake questions: search. There are countless prior threads on CAI's and this is an extremely common topic. If the forum search isn't getting you results then try a site restricted Google search.
https://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C1...=1024&bih=1195

Originally Posted by robaincltnc
cold air intake worth it?
Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. Read up and decide for yourself. If it was universally worth it then everyone would have one. If it was universally not worth it then no one would have one. If after researching you still need assistance in determining worth in your case then specify exactly what would or wouldn't make it worth it to you. Don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal. If you're looking for gains it is probably not worth it but that's addressed in the prior intake threads as well.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Most people that don't have a cold air intake will tell you it's not worth it.. A bunch of people who have had a cold air intake will tell you it's not worth it.. But if you don't drive your car in the rain and or if it doesn't flood where you live then it's really a matter of choice for you..

It floods and rains often where I live, but I don't have to drive my car in the rain unless I get caught it in so I went with a cold air intake (AEM V2).. I have driven 60 miles on the interstate through pouring rain and have not had an issue at all with my cold air intake.. One time I even had water in it and didn't know, drove home and drained it just to see if anything was in there after having it sit in the rain all day at work and a shit load of water came rushing out.. But my car never ingested or didnt ingest enough water to make it show any signs of issues that night at all.. As long as your careful and not stupid it's really no issue, I was pretty dumb and didn't check my drain valve before leaving to make sure nothing was in it, and still made it home just fine.. And even since then my car has given me no issues.. But now I really don't drive it in the rain unless I get caught during an outing..

I've had a K&N FiPK and I liked it from the time I installed it in October 2010 until the time I took it off in May 2011 when it started getting really hot in New Orleans and I would get heat soaked sitting in traffic and it would make the car hesitate/bog a bit taking off..

After I got sick of that ish, I researched and looked around to see what I liked the most and the pros and cons about having a cai.. Which the cons weren't bad enough to make me stray away from getting one.. The day I put on my AEM V2 and took a drive I was really impressed and the sound is pretty wicked!! It sounds way deeper and louder than the K&N FiPK and CT icebox intake systems.. And it looks pretty clean in the engine bay, not to mention on a hot day the engine cools off (after being turned off) way faster than it did with my oem intake and my K&N intake.. And when it gets cold it really cools down fast, literally anytime the car sat for more than 30 minutes or so it would be back down to 1 or 2 bars (AP2) and that would be from the operating temp of 8 bars..

Just do a little research and figure out which one will benefit your situation.. People's opinions are just opinions, make your own choice and you'll be way happier!!

I always wanted an AEM V2, but I got a killer deal on the K&N so I couldn't pass it up.. But in the back of my mind I was never truly happy with it..

Good luck mate!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM

i dont see the need to spend 200+ dollars on an aftermarket intake for such little gains .. i went on ebay and got a cold air intake for 50 bucks it looks just like the aemv2 and i cut the insert out on the front bumber and put an outerwears filter on it .. sounds great and runs better . never had any problems with driving for 3+ hours in the pouring down rain
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ebony APWON
i dont see the need to spend 200+ dollars on an aftermarket intake for such little gains .. i went on ebay and got a cold air intake for 50 bucks it looks just like the aemv2 and i cut the insert out on the front bumber and put an outerwears filter on it .. sounds great and runs better . never had any problems with driving for 3+ hours in the pouring down rain
What's the name of it?! Just incase the op decides he wants to save money..

And I'm kinda curious about it as well..
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Here's one for ya'll if you want to go this route, just Ebay search and filter by price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-S2000-...05e16b&vxp=mtr
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cold air intakes are not worth it. Risk of hydro locking your engine if you drive into a puddle or rain. Also no intake gives you any power. You will lose a lot of low end power. I would go with the air box intakes with cold air snorkles, but you need a proper NA tune in order to get any extra power which will only be like 10 hp and almost no torque gain.

Quick Reply: cold air intake worth it?