S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Compatible phone brackets/mounts for modifry bracket?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compatible phone brackets/mounts for modifry bracket?

Hello all,

I don't know why I'm so confused about this but I purchased the modifry bracket that you have to shave away some of the plastic bezel on the dash to attach the bracket, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what phone mount to go with.

They range from $10 to $60 and I keep hearing "you get what you pay for" and things like that... okay that makes sense and that's all good and well, but when I'm looking at the recommended choices like ARKON and PROCLIPUSA I'm getting confused as to what I'm actually purchasing...

There are "phone specific mounts", "slim" mounts, etc. None say what type of mounting surface they use, either. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a hard case I bought off amazon (non-silicon). All of the mounts on those sites DO NOT say whether they have the AMPS mounting surface to be compatible or not to the modifry bracket. I don't think I need "or want" a "phone specific mount" since I really only want it to "snug hold" the phone and be adjustable. I don't need the charger hookup or anything either.

I could really use yall's help on this one!

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's look at Arkon first. Their different universal phone holders (ie slim-grip, mega-grip etc based on device size) are mounted to their own proprietary plate, usually called something like dual T-tab. Since you already have a vehicle specific mount (modifry's dash bracket), their systems consist of a two-part system: 1. their device holder, and 2. how that device holder mounts to the dash bracket that you have. We know that modifry's dash bracket uses the AMPS pattern. For the part that connects the dash bracket to the device holder, you can use their adapter plate (I've seen it sold separately on amazon):

Note that you will be able to attach the device holder to modifry's bracket using this, but this basic plate is NON-adjustable, so you will not be able to rotate/tilt your phone. If you need it to be adjustable, you can consider what they call one of their "console mounts". You should be able to screw onto the dash bracket with these somehow.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM

As for Proclip, going through their website turned out to be easier. You can get this, should mount up right with the dash bracket holes. And it is adjustable, like you wanted.

Link - GSIII Proclip
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MyEeek
Let's look at Arkon first. Their different universal phone holders (ie slim-grip, mega-grip etc based on device size) are mounted to their own proprietary plate, usually called something like dual T-tab. Since you already have a vehicle specific mount (modifry's dash bracket), their systems consist of a two-part system: 1. their device holder, and 2. how that device holder mounts to the dash bracket that you have. We know that modifry's dash bracket uses the AMPS pattern. For the part that connects the dash bracket to the device holder, you can use their adapter plate (I've seen it sold separately on amazon):

Note that you will be able to attach the device holder to modifry's bracket using this, but this basic plate is NON-adjustable, so you will not be able to rotate/tilt your phone. If you need it to be adjustable, you can consider what they call one of their "console mounts". You should be able to screw onto the dash bracket with these somehow.
As for Proclip, going through their website turned out to be easier. You can get this, should mount up right with the dash bracket holes. And it is adjustable, like you wanted.

Link - GSIII Proclip
This helps me out a lot, thanks! I did not know that ARKON had an "adapter plate" on Amazon, this makes more sense. I wonder why they don't mention it in their web site?
I may just go with the PROCLIPUSA mount, the link you had was for the AT&T model (like there's a difference?...lol...) but the page on the Verizon-specific one didn't have the details and pictures outlined as well. It doesn't say adjustable, and you can't see the mounting plate. So this makes me feel much better

I could probably just get the AT&T one, right?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM

To my understanding, there is absolutely no physical difference in all variants of the galaxy s3, even internationally. Not only that, the verzion and at&t holders on proclip's website both lead to the same part#.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 AM

To my understanding, there is absolutely no physical difference in all variants of the galaxy s3, even internationally. Not only that, the verzion and at&t holders on proclip's website both lead to the same part#.
Cool, that's what I'll do then. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
There are "phone specific mounts", "slim" mounts, etc. None say what type of mounting surface they use, either. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a hard case I bought off amazon (non-silicon). All of the mounts on those sites DO NOT say whether they have the AMPS mounting surface to be compatible or not to the modifry bracket.
Proclip's device mounts definitely fit.

There are definitely threads that mention using the Modifry bracket with Proclip device mounts. Keep in mind that Proclip and Brodit are the same.
https://www.google.com/search?q=proc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Originally Posted by jkelley
I may just go with the PROCLIPUSA mount, the link you had was for the AT&T model (like there's a difference?...lol...) but the page on the Verizon-specific one didn't have the details and pictures outlined as well. It doesn't say adjustable, and you can't see the mounting plate. So this makes me feel much better

I could probably just get the AT&T one, right?
Hit the Compatiblity tab:
Make Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-i747)
Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T SGH-i747)
Samsung Galaxy S III (i9300)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Sprint SPH-L710)
Samsung Galaxy S III (T-Mobile USA SGH-T999)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon SCH-i535)
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III (SPH-L710)
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-T999)
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-i535)
There isn't just one Verizon GS III mount or just one at&t mount. Here's the page with all the options under the Verizon model:
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...-sch-i535.cmsv

It sounds like you were looking at the non-adjustable Verizon mount and comparing it to the adjustable at&t mount. As stated above, the item numbers for each option are the same regardless of carrier.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the slim grip ultra. Works great!!

http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip%20Ultra/index.html
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Crappy picture as I just screen shot from an in car video I did with my iphone.

I have it mounted with the Modifry dash bracket mount.