S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Comptech vs K&N intake

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always run intake top on, i've heard from around here you get good sounds with the cover off but lose hp
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the comptech and like it. The early productions had fitment issues, but not much anymore. However there is still a slight rubbing mark on the carbon fiber lid. IMO either one will do about the same in terms of gains, but the K&N will be slightly louder. Which ever you get a better deal on, go with.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM

I actually got the K&N Typhoon kit. It was probably the best bang for the buck that I could have done for the car. I got the entire kit for $210. Came with simple instructions, great fit/fitment, and it sounds great!

I have an AP1 and the filter with it's water repellent cover sit right next to the giant fake black bumper vent. While that was great and all, i took the next step and cut out that fake black bumper vent and made it one giant fresh air opening......So with that done i'm positive it gets the freshest air possible at all times, and it's louder than the FIPK kit and the typhoon kit with the fake bumper vent still in tact.

(oh yeah, and i daily drive my AP1, so I drove my car regularly through the raining season with ZERO issues ever...no hydro-lock. The water repellent jacket supplied with the kit is awesome, i tried pushing water through it while the kit was not yet installed. It actually took a lot for the water to get through the microfiber jacket. Much more than my car would ever see inside the bumper.)

The great thing is, it sounds almost exactly stock until you get on it. From 3k-4k rpm there is a loud bellowing growl and as soon as 6K VTECH hits there's a kick and a big change from a low growl to a higher toned roar(well.....maybe not a roar, but it's a Mean growl!).....I love tunnels now ......oh yeah................I'm getting on AVERAGE 27-28 mpg now! .....AVERAGE.....so i love my typhoon
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Feb 2 2009, 03:22 PM
i always run intake top on, i've heard from around here you get good sounds with the cover off but lose hp
When i first got my S2k I thought it was cool that we could so dramatically change the sound of our cars by simply removing to top air filter covers.........After thinking about it, I quickly came to the realization that it was a BAD move.

Think of it this way........heat rises and even though our car's engine bay's are kind of ventilated, heat still builds up, especially when we get the RPM's going. So by opening the top of your filter box, you're essentially creating a hot air suction device.....Engine and radiator heat rises to the hood, and when you get on the gas you create a suction device that's pulling hot air from only the top of the hood area.

Not only do you lose HP by doing this......but extended hard driving, like on a track can damage the engine itself. Injesting super heated air is not what Honda engineers had intended.

HOWEVER, several carbon fiber hoods have louvers directly above the air box. So in this case, you might in fact create a fresh air source if you were to simply take the top of your intake box off.

.....food for thought.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jon3501447,Feb 2 2009, 11:19 PM
I actually got the K&N Typhoon kit. It was probably the best bang for the buck that I could have done for the car. I got the entire kit for $210. Came with simple instructions, great fit/fitment, and it sounds great!

I have an AP1 and the filter with it's water repellent cover sit right next to the giant fake black bumper vent. While that was great and all, i took the next step and cut out that fake black bumper vent and made it one giant fresh air opening......So with that done i'm positive it gets the freshest air possible at all times, and it's louder than the FIPK kit and the typhoon kit with the fake bumper vent still in tact.

(oh yeah, and i daily drive my AP1, so I drove my car regularly through the raining season with ZERO issues ever...no hydro-lock. The water repellent jacket supplied with the kit is awesome, i tried pushing water through it while the kit was not yet installed. It actually took a lot for the water to get through the microfiber jacket. Much more than my car would ever see inside the bumper.)

The great thing is, it sounds almost exactly stock until you get on it. From 3k-4k rpm there is a loud bellowing growl and as soon as 6K VTECH hits there's a kick and a big change from a low growl to a higher toned roar(well.....maybe not a roar, but it's a Mean growl!).....I love tunnels now ......oh yeah................I'm getting on AVERAGE 27-28 mpg now! .....AVERAGE.....so i love my typhoon
Interesting. a few questions for ya. Do you have a pic of your fake vent openings? and also what mpg were you getting previous to your install? cheers.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my K&N FIPK, i had an HKS exhaust, but then me and all my friends agreed that the car sounded much better with the stock exhaust because with the HKS, you couldnt hear the intake anymore, all you heard was exhaust, and the intake makes a super mean growl/rumble noise lol

In the end i grabbed a Remus Exhaust, looks nice, only slightly louder than stock and puts a slightly different pitch, but can still hear my K&N so i have the best of both worlds

only thing is with top down/vented hood, you can hear a whistling noise from the air being sucked in when at like 1/4-1/2 throttle, at first i wasnt a fan, but now i like the sound

Definitely a plus in my book
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 2 2009, 11:39 PM
Interesting. a few questions for ya. Do you have a pic of your fake vent openings? and also what mpg were you getting previous to your install? cheers.
Funny enough I never took any pictures of the install, but I can take some tomorrow and post them for you if you can hold off on purchasing something for another day .

As far as gas mileage goes, I was getting roughly 23-25mpg on average before the intake. (that is the only engine mod i've made).

And the whistling sound that liquid_helix136 just mentioned is hilariously fun....at least for me. from 3K rpm to roughly 4.5K rpm when you give the car roughly 3/8 gas under a load, there is a distinct whistling noise. I can most liken it to that of a turbo whistle on a Subarub WRX or STI with an intake (allows you to hear the turbo much more).

I had a custom exhaust system on my last S, and while it's fun at first, man, that sound gets REALLY irritating day in and day out.....With this intake you can be as quiet as you want allllll day long until you get on it. Then your rewarded with a surprisingly loud little 4banger.....haha, funny enough I had a co-worker go to lunch with me the other day. I took the car through the RPM range and he asked me if i had an exhaust on the car...I told him: Nope that's the intake.

So there are 3 very audible sounds that I got out of my install that never happened with the stock box. 1.) Whistle at 3/8's throttle 2.) Deep loud bellow at full throttle from 3k-4K rpm 3.) LOUD growl from 6k-9k rpm. AND, becuase i have an AP1, I actually noticed that the full throttle sound gets distinctly louder from 8k-9k.

This was my first intake kit install on an S2000. Took me 1.5 hours, and I was taking my sweet ass time. Everything went as instructed, and the kit comes with high quality silicon connecting tubes and high grade turbo type tube clamps.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM

Here's a little photo documentary of my finished install...I hope this helps your decision.

It was hard to get the propper angle on this one, but I was trying to show that my strut bar DOES NOT touch the intake at all...there is a 1/4"-3/8" gap between the pipe and teh brace at all times. So that's something you don't have to worry about....at least with my cusco brace.
This shows the lower piping sliding between the frotn bulk-head and the radiator. There have been so many times when i simply wanted to see how much the radiator affected the temperature of the piping down there. So I'd run the car hard for 10 minutes. Stop off the road, pop the hood and carefully reach down to touch the piping....And believe it or not, the pipe would be an ambient temperature...not exactly what i was expecting...in a good way.
This shows the front snout snaking around into the front bumper.

This is the opening that i took out. At the time of installation i brought my car over to a friends house who had limited tools, so I ended up drilling out a bunch of holes all the way around the fake vent. It looked like perforated paper, and from there i simply snipped out the fake vent with scissors ....viola, a true cold air duct!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks everyone (im in no rush to buy an intake either)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM

I recently installed the FIPK and it's only a little bit louder than the stock intake with the cover off. I think it upped the HP a little though.

Quick Reply: Comptech vs K&N intake