S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

converting to rhd

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting to rhd

how hard is it to convert an ap1 to rhd and how much would it cost and aside from the rhd clip what else would I need to successfully convert it ? any info is greatly appreciated thank you
Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

I imagine you aren't getting a lot of replies because most here value Function over Form when it comes to their S. Thus they haven't considered making a mod that takes a lot of effort and cost to implement, yet produces a functional detriment, in the name of misguided vanity.

So not a lot of knowledge on this topic.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I would estimate it would be cheaper to sell a LHD S2000 here and buy a RHD from Japan. Lots of work and lots of money to convert one with no benefit. I wouldn't even test drive a RHD vehicle due to the safety implications, and not liking to shift with my left arm.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Except you can't just buy a right hand drive s2000 and import it legally. It is a HUGE amount of work. Cutting out the firewall and welding the RHR one in as well as swapping everything left to right in the engine bay. And at the end of the day what do you get? A car that sucks to take through the drive through and one that's pretty much totaled from a resale point of view. If you do this you have to take very detailed records and have those when you go to sell it to show that it was all done right. For the trouble and cost I'd rather have a supercharger or basically all other mods done to the car.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Except you can't just buy a right hand drive s2000 and import it legally. It is a HUGE amount of work. Cutting out the firewall and welding the RHR one in as well as swapping everything left to right in the engine bay. And at the end of the day what do you get? A car that sucks to take through the drive through and one that's pretty much totaled from a resale point of view. If you do this you have to take very detailed records and have those when you go to sell it to show that it was all done right. For the trouble and cost I'd rather have a supercharger or basically all other mods done to the car.
Yeah going through the drive-throughs backwards sucks, lol. Can't imagine toll-booths.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of curiosity, can you not import cars to the US if they as long as there is no intention of them being registered? e.g. buying a track car.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh?! Why... *scratching my head*
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Out of curiosity, can you not import cars to the US if they as long as there is no intention of them being registered? e.g. buying a track car.
No. From what I have read there is no differentiation in the eyes of the import laws. The car must be 25 years old or meet the "show or display" approval basically meaning it is an extremely rare car. International Vehicle Importers they have a number of good articles and info on this exact subject. I follow them on facebook and they often post about this.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ap1batman
how hard is it to convert an ap1 to rhd and how much would it cost and aside from the rhd clip what else would I need to successfully convert it ? any info is greatly appreciated thank you
If you have to ask how hard, you're not even remotely close. It's also not worth it in any way, shape, or form. Ruining a car for JDM yo! factor is a silly mod IMO. Also expensive, dangerous, and uncomfortable in a LHD country.

No. From what I have read there is no differentiation in the eyes of the import laws. The car must be 25 years old or meet the "show or display" approval basically meaning it is an extremely rare car. International Vehicle Importers they have a number of good articles and info on this exact subject. I follow them on facebook and they often post about this.
Actually, you can bring a new car in for racing purposes but you can never register it for road use. Some states will allow you to do do, but realistically it isn't Federally legal and you can have the car impounded and receive a fine if stopped by a federal agent.
You can also bring in a car if it was sold here, but if the steering was on the opposite side you need a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets the same crash ratings... which no manufacturer will ever give you. I spent a long time reading all the laws in
order to bring a Skyline GTR over back before the R32 hit 25 years.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM

Do so*

Quick Reply: converting to rhd