S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY EFIE Install for HHO kits

Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY EFIE Install for HHO kits

So far to my knowlege, Gogetit is the only one who has ever created an S2000 Hybrid running on HHO generated from water. After 5000 miles driving with it without problems, he removed the kit and sold the car. I am building a similar setup and posting here to help people who may want to do the same. This portion is on the EFIE install.

An article like this would have been very helpful to me and I could not find it, so I'm posting it.
The EFIE adds voltage to the signal of the O2 sensor to make the ecu think the car is running rich. The ecu compensates by leaning out the system. This allows for you to input hydrogen without wasting so much gas.

I got my Single EFIE Deluxe from Mike at www.fuelsaver-mpg.com (I have no affiliation with his or any other HHO company) The efie was about $65 shipped.

To install, it has 4 wires. ground, power, O2 to ecu, and O2 to sensor.
I have a USDM 2001 AP1 so the ecu is behind the kick panel on the left side of the driver's left foot.

The install is much easier if you remove your driver seat first. (2 12mm bolts, 2 14mm bolts, and a simple plug).

Pull up the door sill to make the kick panel removal easier. once you remove the kick panel, you can see the ECU next to the clutch pedal. you can pull the two farther cables out of the ecu and push them and their rubber grommet thing through the firewall into the engine bay for easier access.

In the engine bay, the wires will be coming out just below your clutch master cylinder (far right side of engine bay, above wheel well)
The blue plug is the first one I dealt with. it seems to have 3 groups of ports. In the center one, there is a white wire. I believe it is second from the top. This is the O2 SENSOR wire. Two ports to the right is a Green and Yellow wire (GROUND). On the other plug, there is a Black and Yellow wire on the left row of ports. This is the switched Power you want to use. It will only be on when the car is on.

With The efie I had, you must cut the car's white O2 wire, and connect the ecu end to the white wire from the efie, and connect the other end of the O2 wire to the green wire on the efie. The black wire gets spliced into the Green and Yellow ecu wire, and the red wire gets spliced into the Black and yellow wire from the ecu.

When all the wires are connected well, you can put them back through the firewall and make sure the grommet is seated securely. plug your wires back into the ecu and you're ready to start up.

To tune the EFIE, plug the terminals of a multimeter into the efie and set it to read mV. If the efie is off, it will read 0, if it is on, you will likely have a 3digit number.
use a small flathead screwdriver to adjust until the number reaches the amount of mV you want to boost your O2 signal. 200mV - 250mV was recommended to me.

Go ahead and mount the efie somewhere and make sure the wires are out of the way. Your car will now run lean. This could be bad for the engine unless you input some other fuel such as HHO as in my case and Gogetit's.

Reinstall your seat and you should be ready to go. Keep in mind that running lean may be hazardous to your engine. I am not responsible for if you screw up your car. Do more research before trying anything relating with leaning your system and creating Hydrogen as another fuel source.

Helpful pics I found.
BLUE PLUG
I used 16 (O2 signal wire). 18 was used as my ground. You should be able to get away with grounding it another way though.

OTHER PLUG
Numbers 1 and 9 should work for power. I used 9.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM

book marked
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Gogetit was getting 40mpg average. I'm getting about 30, however my system is putting out only probably .5 LPM His was doing 1.5 I believe. I'll be building a new kit soon.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM

say f'n wut? what am i reading? lean the car out and pump water in?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Unho1yghost
electrostatic chemistry is used to convert water into HHO gas which is combustible in a engine. reason why you lean out the car so you can add your own gas
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Duyx817
Originally Posted by Unho1yghost' timestamp='1372016458' post='22626086
electrostatic chemistry is used to convert water into HHO gas which is combustible in a engine. reason why you lean out the car so you can add your own gas
i started reading about it, but it doesnt seem like it would work. you use the engines electricity to break apart water, then pump the hydrogen in to turn it back into water

how do you do that with a gain in efficiency
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Duyx817' timestamp='1372109290' post='22628291
[quote name='Unho1yghost' timestamp='1372016458' post='22626086']
i started reading about it, but it doesnt seem like it would work. you use the engines electricity to break apart water, then pump the hydrogen in to turn it back into water

[/quote]

You dont, thats why no car manufacturers put it into their cars.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Duyx817' timestamp='1372109290' post='22628291

[/quote]

The gain in efficiency is by using less gasoline for the same rpm. You can do this by leaning the system, but you lose power without inputing another fuel source.
The point is to take water, split it into Hydrogen gas and Oxygen Gas (both explosive), then input those through the air intake as extra fuel. You are not turning it back into water.
I'm not here to explain the processes to a bunch of doubters or take abuse from people who say things aren't possible. I was getting 32mpg while running it. I have a better kit now, but I'm switching my projects to a CR-V. This thread is intended to help out people who already know about the HHO stuff, just need additional info on making it work with an S2K.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by Unho1yghost' timestamp='1372120210' post='22628613
[quote name='Duyx817' timestamp='1372109290' post='22628291']

[/quote]

You dont, thats why no car manufacturers put it into their cars.
[/quote]

Honda is using Hydrogen to run the FCX
People have been using HHO systems since the '70s to enhance automobile performance and gain fuel economy.
Do some research before you bash other people for doing what you can't. K thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan02S
Gogetit was getting 40mpg average. I'm getting about 30, however my system is putting out only probably .5 LPM His was doing 1.5 I believe. I'll be building a new kit soon.
Is that 1.5 liters per minute? How large is your water tank and what's the max range available?

Quick Reply: DIY EFIE Install for HHO kits