S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Fabricating dual exit exhaust to single

Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabricating dual exit exhaust to single

Has anybody here done this? I came across a deal for a dual exit buddy club pro spec for $250 with a testpipe included so I couldn't pass up. But after reading the numerous "dual vs. single" threads, and my preference of a single exit look, i'm thinking of going to a muffler shop and having them fab up the dual exit into a single. Would appreciate any thoughts on this
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont know what size that dual is but singles usually have larger piping, so you might as well keep it a dual or just buy a single there usually 4 - 500 buxs new or you can wait for a used one.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Cut it at the rear Y and add a single from there, same size as the center pipe. Unless each single is the same dim. as the center pipe, which I highly doubt but if it was you could just cut&cap one side of the Y and make the other side a single that way.

ROD
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

One more thing you could do is leave one side stock(or put on a good single muffler on the side you want people to see) and put a cut-out on the other side with a turn down out of sight.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exhaust/section/cutouts/part-type/exhaust-cutouts/product-line/quick-time-performance-electric-exhaust-cutouts?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autovie w=SKU&ar=1
loud and LOUDER, you choose when

ROD
Old 05-29-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Anyone done this mod to the stock exhaust? Making it a single exit with maybe a performance oriented aftermarket muffler? If anyone has done that please let me know how it turned out
Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Anyone done this mod to the stock exhaust? Making it a single exit with maybe a performance oriented aftermarket muffler? If anyone has done that please let me know how it turned out
I posted this recently, is this what you're asking about? pictures of underneath are at the end of the video.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...s2000-1184730/
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ISADE
I posted this recently, is this what you're asking about? pictures of underneath are at the end of the video.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...s2000-1184730/
Yes that's it. I'll have to watch the video later on as I can't open it at work. Will report back on what I think asap. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Just hacking off one side of the dual exhaust will give the "look" you want and cut your exhaust flow significantly.

These cars have been around for so long that very capable single exhausts are available on the used market. Some of these have actual engineering in their designs (as opposed to me under the car with tubing and a welder!).

I've yet to find definitive information as to the inside diameter of the OEM exhaust. Guesstimates run from 50mm to 60mm. To get the same volume as a pair of 50mm exhaust outlets requires a 70mm system. If it's 60mm or larger even a 70mm exhaust will cut the flow. Getting into flow rates and harmonics is where engineering comes in. Nuisances like catalytic converters and mufflers further complete the process if you want more than "looks."

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just hacking off one side of the dual exhaust will give the "look" you want and cut your exhaust flow significantly.

These cars have been around for so long that very capable single exhausts are available on the used market. Some of these have actual engineering in their designs (as opposed to me under the car with tubing and a welder!).

I've yet to find definitive information as to the inside diameter of the OEM exhaust. Guesstimates run from 50mm to 60mm. To get the same volume as a pair of 50mm exhaust outlets requires a 70mm system. If it's 60mm or larger even a 70mm exhaust will cut the flow. Getting into flow rates and harmonics is where engineering comes in. Nuisances like catalytic converters and mufflers further complete the process if you want more than "looks."

-- Chuck
You don't really think the dual exhaust design is for proper airflow do you? It's likely dual from the factory to be quiet, and to look proper for a sports car.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by ISADE
You don't really think the dual exhaust design is for proper airflow do you? It's likely dual from the factory to be quiet, and to look proper for a sports car.
This.

A single exit will definitely enhance exhaust flow to the point that tangible performance benefits are seen/felt. The rule is, the straightest path (least amount of bends or path diversions) for any exhaust is the most efficient. The dual look is very cool but not the best for greatest flow. And there are great single exit exhausts out there that look as great as they sound too

Quick Reply: Fabricating dual exit exhaust to single