S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

finally started my r33 diff swap

Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipnrr
Looks like a good project but I already see 2 issues....first is the axles spacing from hub to diff even though it bolts right up its going to be too long coz from what i can see from the pictures the R33 diff is a lil wider than the S's diff....then next is the flange which will be the weakest point since its going to be 2 piece and just welded on but since your not running high HP's it might hold.

Just in my perspective though but since you have the hands on hope you can pull this off and be added to the list of other better alternative and cost effective replacement for our stock diff.
think of it this way, with the diff being all about 1.5 inches wider you can just think of that extra width as the spacers you would usually put on a lowered s2000. and if need although i dont wont to change the angle of the axle i can make the mounts so it places the diff higher so the axles have more distance to travel.

also my S is making over 400hp. with the flange being welded, it will be done by a pro and shouldnt break at all. i mean why would it break if the welds on the driveshafts arent breaking. then the axles and tranny will be the next weakest thing after this is done. and if i do buy new axles eventually i could always have shorter ones made for the same price as regular s2000 DSS axles. but im trying to stay away from that now. thats down the road. i hope.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by barhonda_s2k
think of it this way, with the diff being all about 1.5 inches wider you can just think of that extra width as the spacers you would usually put on a lowered s2000. and if need although i dont wont to change the angle of the axle i can make the mounts so it places the diff higher so the axles have more distance to travel.

also my S is making over 400hp. with the flange being welded, it will be done by a pro and shouldnt break at all. i mean why would it break if the welds on the driveshafts arent breaking. then the axles and tranny will be the next weakest thing after this is done. and if i do buy new axles eventually i could always have shorter ones made for the same price as regular s2000 DSS axles. but im trying to stay away from that now. thats down the road. i hope.
Great info and best of luck! So the diff is only about 1.5" wider? That's great, and definitely negligible. I'm amazed the oem s2k axles bolt right upto the diff. Regarding the driveshaft length.. how is the length of the r33 diff compared to the oem s2k diff? It looks to be a little longer, so will the oem s2k driveshaft bolt up without any modification? Again, very impressive and big thanks for sharing all this info with the community! I'm assuming the rear diff from the r33 is a pretty decent LSD, so you don't have to bother changing it out/opening up the case even?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Whats the runout on the flange?

It's not my ride but I wouldn't trust a welded companion flange.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by barhonda_s2k' timestamp='1319757627' post='21107774

Great info and best of luck! So the diff is only about 1.5" wider? That's great, and definitely negligible. I'm amazed the oem s2k axles bolt right upto the diff. Regarding the driveshaft length.. how is the length of the r33 diff compared to the oem s2k diff? It looks to be a little longer, so will the oem s2k driveshaft bolt up without any modification? Again, very impressive and big thanks for sharing all this info with the community! I'm assuming the rear diff from the r33 is a pretty decent LSD, so you don't have to bother changing it out/opening up the case even?
it is a bit longer yes. but with my local drive shaft shop here in my town it is very easy for them to shorten my driveshaft. i give them the measurements and they shorten it and rebalance it. then it bolts on to the s2000s flange thats welded in place.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
Whats the runout on the flange?

It's not my ride but I wouldn't trust a welded companion flange.
i have no problem with the flange being welded at all. i know it may look and seem sketchy but ive seen very similar things done before. i only have little spot welds on there so i can take it to the shop for the pros to do. they will remove my welds and make it 100% perfect. they will probably even reienforce it somehow and also make sure its perfectly centered and balance. also may have wholes drilled the whole way through the skylines flange so it wont only be welded but also bolted together.

when i say ive seen similar things done before, i mean miatas with ford rear diff conversions, and just a mix of hot rods and muscle cars and v8 swaps that require a beefier diff. thats why the place that will be doing this i will trust if they say it will work.

also if you look at any oem driveshaft you will see where the ends are welded on. well think of it this way, those welds arent any stronger then any other welds. if anything the new welds will be stonger then the old ones.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting project, I would like to see this work, good job so far!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like its gonna fit pretty good. Nice job on the research. I wouldn't worry at all about welding the flanges either. You'll break the driveshaft in half before you even crack a weld if its done properly. My brother puts 700hp through welded flanges on his mudtruck. If they hold up to 2.5ton rockwells and a 542 big block I doubt you'll hurt it with a f20.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM

Suscribed. Lets get this done.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Loving this!!!!! Can't wait to see results!
The following users liked this post:
Carbon S2K (01-06-2017)

Quick Reply: finally started my r33 diff swap