S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

forbidden top + oem front latches problem

Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forbidden top + oem front latches problem

I have a mugen style forbidden top with their oem replica rear hardware which fits and works perfect. I have the izzy front brackets which fit fine also. I just got some real oem front hardtop latches and strikers, which I tried to install but they do not fit properly.

When I try to latch them they are unable to close. If I try to push them closed the bolts in the top will definitely crack. I tried pushing the top all the way forward, loosening all the bolts, etc. There is no way these will work on the top. I think the mounting surface of the top is shaped wrong or the bolt holes are too far back.

Anyone else try to use oem front latches on a forbidden top?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they are way too tight. I have all OEM hardware on my Forbidden replica. You need to buy some soft top latch shims from Honda. Washers will due to try it out though. If that doesn't work, you might need striker shims.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

hmm Ill try some washers to see if it can work. I know people have used this combination so I was really surprised that it wasnt even remotely close to working.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Mugen style HT from Forbidden. I am using the OEM style brackets/OEM front latches (1 shim on each side) and fits perfect. Did you latch the front latches then tighten the rear ones? I left the rear spike bolts loose so I could do some adjusting.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM

Ill try and get a picture tomorrow of what it looks like. Even when the latches are fully open, the hooks are still grabbing the front strikers, when they should be released. I thought about redrilling the holes in the latches to get them closer to the windshield. I even tried bolting the strikers in place, then holding the latch with my hand in the position it should be in. when its hooked into the striker and closed, If i push it upwards as much as it goes, there is still about a 1/2" gap between the latch mounting surface and the hardtop surface. Im going to try a spacer of some type, stacked washers, piece of wood, etc. to see if I can even get them to latch at all while bolted in.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you don't tighten the rear latches too tight. They are supposed to have a little flew to them
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oem soft top latches here on a forbidden top. fits perfectly. leaving the rear completely loose i latched the top latches in in place and then tightened down the bolts to the forbidden oem rep latches for the rear.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM

I think the soft top latches might work since the hooks are a little skinnier. Im going to be working on the car tomorrow I will take pics of my issue. I think I figured out what the problem is and it has to do with the way the top is made. Im not sure yet but I will know tomorow
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM

where are you guys getting the OEM replica rear latches?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM

forbidden usa

http://www.forbidden-usa.com/product_p/frbn-oe-brks.htm

Quick Reply: forbidden top + oem front latches problem